Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

https://youtu.be/0ttzrNFSEPw?t=326

^ lol

Also, Chiefs got Tanoh Kpassagnon(DE) and traded up to get Karemm Hunt(RB). I don't watch college football so.... is that good?

Can't claim to have watched him at all since he's an FCS school guy but I'm reading Kpassagnon is a physical freak who's kind of a project. Big, his frame has room to put on more weight, explosive, doesn't have a whole lot of technique. He's smart (accounting/finance double major) so he's already gotten some dumb 'does he care enough about football?' takes.

Hunt I remember kinda liking, but just for running through MAC defenses which a lot of people seem to do. According to the nfl.com stuff he's a zone blocking runner with good vision who can catch the ball, so if that's true he seems like a good fit.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh good, Mahomes is going to wear #4. I'm sure will temper Kansas City fans expectations and help give them patience to let him sit without screaming for him every time Alex throws 2 yards down the field on third and 8.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Am I the only person who thinks the Browns taking Kizer was fine?

It was completely fine with that pick in my opinion.

I don't really expect Kizer to amount to anything, but that's a fine place to take a guy with theoretical upside and they didn't trade up to do it (and they have plenty of other picks in a deep defensive draft).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shangri-Law School posted:

Why do you do this?

Being a homer is hard work.

Ask me about Blaine Gabbert, future all pro.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

At least that's what I've always thought, yet I can't think of a single player who missed their rookie year due to injury then went on to be a top end guy.

Willis McGahee was pretty good? Not great I guess, but he's the first guy that springs to mind, I'm sure there are others.

e: duh, not really draft related but solely for this part:

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Can anyone think of someone who missed most of their rookie season to injury than went on to be great for the rest of their career?

Travis Kelce is doing pretty well.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 30, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I'm very lukewarm on miamis 1st round pick but I seriously love the rest of our picks

Well warm the gently caress up :argh:

Nah I honestly think Harris should end up pretty good as long as you guys don't try to turn him into a DT or something dumb. I hope he's good for you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I get this feeling too. Or he could be Bortles. It's 50/50 really, but I love that he went to Andy Reid

KC or possibly New Orleans (who were rumored to like him if KC didn't trade up) are the perfect places for Mahomes to maybe turn into what he could be. Which is exciting!

fsif's gif is part of why it's also terrifying.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

I think a lot of people were down on Mahomes because of the air raid but unlike most air raid college QBs Mahomes was given the option of calling plays and audibling.

Mahomes was never your typical air raid quarterback just because of the arm, most of those guys have noodly arms because you don't need a big arm to make that offense work. Well and historically the programs who went full air raid weren't the schools picking up the best recruits, I guess that's changing a little bit recently.

I don't know, I like that he has some chops reading defenses (from the shotgun) pre snap, I like that he appears to go through progressions now and then. As a Chiefs fan I particularly like that he checks deep first and when he scrambles he keeps his eyes down field instead of just bugging out. Other than the putrid, awful footwork what worries me the most is just how much he trusts his arm. Trusting that you can make a throw is good up to a point, but I don't know if he'll ever learn that there are throws that just cannot be made.

The nightmare scenario is he turns into a more accurate Kyle Boller.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hey Ehud and Crazy and whoever else, you might be interested in this thing from rockmnation about Charles Harris.

Just a writeup with some quotes from Harris about how he got into football, he might be Pinkel's last ridiculous find. Terry Beckner Jr might end up as his last recruit to get drafted high if he puts things together and stops getting hurt, but he was a 5 star guy. Harris didn't even have a rivals ranking.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I'm seeing shades of Drew Brees in 2005

I'm gonna go ahead and guess Alex isn't going to go on and become one of the most prolific passers in NFL history.

I'd almost like to be wrong just to see what this would look like.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Mahomes sounds like a muppet, specifically Cookie Monster and I like it.

He's got a little Kermit to his voice I thought.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

John Brown posted:

I think many people misinterpret what the grades actually represent. What I've always took away is they're a form of ranking that considers: the overall consensus of each individual player that you took, how much you had to give up to get them, and whether or not the player fills a void in the team.

Personally, I think this is the only possible way that the grades many any sense whatsoever. Using hindsight would be flawed due to the many influencers/dependencies of a player's development.

On the other hand I'd argue this isn't very valuable, other than for determining which draft pundits are idiots when you see how things actually pan out. I mean it's better than mock drafts I guess but not by a whole lot.

I'd also say Raiders fans' opinions of the Chiefs aren't very valuable, and I want Marty back. Alzheimers or no he'd probably beat the Raiders 9 out of 10 times just because of spite.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Andy Reid is 5-1 against Oakland since he came to KC, 2 more season sweeps and he will have beaten them 9 out of 10 times

Don't diminish my love of Marty. Also talk to me when he does it for a decade.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hot Diggity! posted:

JJ Watt wrecked my high school team on the regular.

Josh Freeman is probably the best player my high school ever played against regularly. I believe him and Brian Manning (WR who got a cup of coffee with the Dolphins and Packers in the 90s) are the only NFL players our district ever produced.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 4, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Yeah I suppose so. He was with New Orleans for a decent period of time.

Probably has the most memorable single New Orleans kicking play in history too. This said about the team who had Tom Dempsey kick a 63 yard field goal a few decades before anyone else did and who employed Morten Anderson for a long time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DeimosRising posted:

I didn't go to high school with them but my dad sold weed to Randy Moss and Jason Williams when they were in high school. White Chocolate got really mad at him one time and drove donuts in his yard. Randy was always very friendly.

Doesn't surprise me that he was a jerk to his weed dealer, but every now and then I go watch Jason Williams highlights and they never ever get old.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrLogan posted:

Agreed, OP.

Going to have to disagree with this opinion.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Michael Corleone posted:

Please respond!

He's African Aids Cum these days I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

You motherfucker

Yeah he's a bastard.

• Locked thread