Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I think the Vikings had a solid, but not great draft:

RD2(9) :: HB Dalvin Cook, Florida State - The Vikings moved up to take Dalvin Cook, who is a top 15 talent that was pushed down due to some major red flags. As a player he's a great fit for Shurmur's offense, is an explosive runner who can score anywhere on the field, and is a threat in the passing game. I think he can be a really good player, but he's a player that could attract a lot of negative attention.
RD3(6) :: OC Pat Elflein, Ohio State - He's my favorite pick from the draft. Able to play both guard and center at a high level and should be an instant starter. Somewhat athletically limited, but very good and feisty.
RD4(3) :: DT Jaleel Johnson, Iowa - DT depth has been an issue for a long time and with Sharrif Floyd's career in jeopardy and Tom Johnson coming off of an achilles tear, it was important for the Vikings to add another tackle to the rotation. Johnson is a good pass rusher, who can't hold up against the run too well. He'll be a rotational player at first, but could develop into a bigger role with coaching and weight training.
RD4(14) :: LB Ben Gedeon, Michigan - This pick still makes no sense to me. 2-down linebacker, with very good short area quickness and special teams ability. Basically drafted as a replacement for Audie Cole, but I can't see him being anything more than a backup in this scheme. Seems more like a 6th rounder than a 4th round prospect.
RD5(27) :: WR Rodney Adams, South Florida - Poor man's Patterson. Good returner, ball control issues, not a great route runner, but good after the catch.
RD5(37) :: RG Danny Isidora, Miami - Developmental RG. Good pulling ability, needs to add bulk, but could develop into a good backup or replacement level starter.
RD6(17) :: TE/WR Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech - Intriguing player. Can line up all over the field. TE who is basically an oversized receiver, big target, can bring down contested balls, and freak athlete. Doesn't play to his athleticism, double catches at times, and does better in traffic than when wide open. If he develops, he could be a really interesting piece of the offense.
RD7(1) :: WR Stacy Coley, Miami - Another slot and returner player. Has work ethic questions. They do need depth at WR, but not sure why they took him when they drafted a similar player in Rodney Adams. Would have been better off drafting a kicker here.
RD7(2) :: DE Ifeadi Odenigbo, Northwestern - They always grab a developmental pass rusher late. A bit undersized, not great against the run, but is generates a lot of pressure as a pass rusher. I personally would have left DE until next year, but they could have made worse picks.
RD7(14) :: LB Elijah Lee, Kansas State - Perfect scheme fit. 3-down OLB with good coverage ability. Makes a lot more sense to me than Gedeon.
RD7(27) :: CB Jack Tocho, NC State- Not really familar with him. Seems to be a developmental outside CB who excels in press man. Would have liked to see them grab a slot corner like Myrick with one of their earlier picks.

As for Spielman, I think he got way too cute this year. Traded down a few times too many and missed out on some good players to accumulate late round picks that I am not sure were spent wisely. He was aggressive early, then went into stockpiling mode. Just kind of a weird draft and after the 2nd day they want quantity over quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

WHOOPS posted:

I didn't mind the Vikings going for quantity over quality but poo poo, Rick, how bout you get some tackles and see if any of them can hang. Clemmings is still the top backup and he frankly hasn't shown anything to merit hope for a turnaround.

Supposedly, they were going to take Antonio Garcia, but New England traded ahead of them to take him. That being said, I agree that they needed to address tackle depth, because having Clemmings as the next man up is still an issue. Next year's OT class is supposed to be much better, but with so many teams needed OT help and the unpredictability of the draft, that is hardly something they can rely on. I do think that their interior OL depth is starting to get better, so there is some progress.

• Locked thread