Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
so yeah the Chargers haven't done anything that i've expected them to. WR in the first and then a pair of guards in the next two rounds.. it's a little odd, I really thought they'd address defense at some point, since safety is still a gaping hole and they could always use another pass rusher.

My guess is that the FO thinks their defense being terrible last year had to do with scheme and injury and that the switch to Bradley's 4-3 will pay immediate dividends. Either that or they're trying to be the poor man's version of the Cowboys, just grinding out the ball for 30-35 minutes a game and trusting what talent they do have on D to not lose it for them when the offense is not on the field. It's weird.

Like, i'm happy they finally decided to address how lovely the interior of the offensive line has been for years, it just isn't how I expected them to go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Reid constantly made McNabb's backups not look like outclassed garbage when Donovan got hurt (2002 and arguably 06 since nobody believed in Garcia after he flamed out with the Browns). Michael Vick's best years by some distance were under Reid, as has been the case with Alex Smith. And neither of those QBs are remotely similar to each other.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, if there's like one thing Chiefs and Chargers fans agree on, it's that Marty Schottenheimer loving ruled.

Well, aside for "gently caress the Raiders" and "gently caress the Broncos" but that goes without saying

Fenrir posted:

I remember people calling for his head on a pike for "Martyball" and supposedly wasting LdT's prime.

Marty probably wouldn't have won a title in SD, but at the same time I think most Chargers fans nowadays (what's left of us, anyway) recognize it was stupid to get rid of him, especially after a 14-2 season.

Like most things, I blame Dean Spanos.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 3, 2017

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, probably. Though you could make a pretty good argument for Bobby Ross, given how much those early 90's Charger teams overachieved.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Three of the reasons why firing Marty was so moronic were:

A): he literally coached the team to a 14-2 record, including winning 10 straight against some pretty good teams during that run. And yeah, he's snakebitten in the playoffs; you know who also loses to the Patriots? Literally everybody else.

B): the fact that it happened because Marty and AJ didn't get along. They both hated each other to the degree that both went weeks without speaking to each other. Again, I blame Dean for it because one of ownership's jobs is to make sure the HC and GM are on the same page and communicating with each other. And as we've seen, Dean is about as spineless of a twerp as any owner in the league, so he never had the personality to step in and mediate.

C): the timing of it. You want to get rid of Marty because he can't win the playoffs, that's one thing. The problem is that the Chargers' whole coach staff basically got raided that offseason, with Wade, Cam Cam, Chud, Hudson Houck all leaving for other jobs, and since most of the good coaching candidates were already hired, that left the team with Norv.

also jesus christ I can't believe all this poo poo went down over 10 years ago now.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

This begs the question, if forced to choose between a good coach and a good GM, which is the better option?

Gun to head, i'd go head coach. A good HC can coach a team that doesn't have a lot of high talent into something respectable as long as those guys understand what's being asked of them. (which is pretty much what Marty did for a lot of his career)

I'd also mention that, in the particular case of the Chargers, AJ's drafting basically went right into the toilet after Marty was canned. Eric Weddle was pretty much the only player from the 07-09 drafts that was worth much and hung on with the team.

EDIT: just remembered Louis Vasquez was from 09 and he was pretty good for a few years before he left for Denver.

kiimo posted:

Fun Fact: both Frank Oz and Jim Henson have voiced Cookie Monster so there is a little Kermit to his voice.

edit: also some Chiefs fans were happy to see Marty go. Those fans are as dumb as the Charger fans who are as dumb as the Eagles fans who cheered Andy Reid's departure. I wonder how they feel now.
In some fairness to Eagles fans, Reid looked completely burned out his final two seasons there and really needed a fresh start without shoulder as much of the personnel responsibility as he did in Philly. Mind you, it's dumb, but I can understand both sides wanting to part ways after how badly the Eagles fell apart in 2012.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Cash Monet posted:

AJ Smith had a good run but he went batshit after 07, no?

He had three pretty good drafts from 04-06 and he always had a solid eye for UDFA talent - there's Gates of course, but he also found guys like Mike Tolbert, Kassim Osgood, Seji Airotutu and a couple other dudes i'm forgetting who were at least solid contributions for a while. (Osgood wasn't much of a receiver but he was the heart of the special teams unit and his departure was why the Chargers had literally the worst one ever in 2010)

But yeah, he got drunk on his own rep and his drafts were absolute garbage after 06. Weddle and Vasquez were basically the only two players worth a poo poo he brought in for the rest of that decade, which is why the roster started rotting out almost immediately after they got to the AFCCG in 07.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Cowher almost won a SB with Neil O'Donnell as his QB.

He was p. good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Lmao @ the LDS church.

Hand Row posted:

Brian Billick

That SB win was unfacetiously more the work of Marvin Lewis than anything else. That Ravens' defense was loving ridiculous, the closest i've ever seen to something that stifling since was Denver in 2015.

• Locked thread