Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He coulda been Super Bowl MVP!

Kalli posted:

The only ones worth worrying about are the 1st for Cooks and the 2nd for Kony Ealy. I'm a lot higher on Cooks then Ealy for obvious reasons I'm sure Fiz would love to expand on, but both of them are only 25, so it's not that short term of a deal (outside of they have to actually sign Ealy next year and Cooks the year after.

Also my view of what makes a good draft:

- A quality starter at an important position (pass rusher, secondary, tackle) or very good player anywhere else. Typically your first round pick, but if you gently caress up on that, but find a gem in the 3rd round, fantastic, who cares where they were drafted.

- 2 fine starters or good rotational pieces. Solidify your offensive line with a guard that doesn't get embarrassed or an inside linebacker that give you the first two downs of every drive and tackle well. A running back that fills a specific role well or a 2nd wide receiver that can make plays against weaker coverage.

- Some guys who can contribute as backups, fringe roleplayers and good special teams players. Basically every 5th-7th round DE, LB, receiver or secondary guy is gonna play 100+ snaps a year on ST, and as long as your ST are fine, and these guys were fine, you're happy. Just get on the loving field and don't embarrass yourself much

What makes a great draft is any excellent player, a capable franchise caliber QB, or doubling up on either of the first two options here.

Cooks is only 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Maybe his agent didn't couldn't bear to tell him.

Nov 6, 2002

And every UDFA is a diamond in the rough!

Nov 6, 2002

adaz posted:

Andy Reid is a Really Good Coach. if anyone was going to turn mahome into something good it's ANdy.

I mean, he's turned Alex Smith into a fairly decent quaterback.

Alex Smith was already decent!

Has Reid actually developed a good QB since McNabb?

Nov 6, 2002

Coldforge posted:

Andy Reid's offense is a tad bit different in focus than Jim Harbaugh's. Just a tad.

Okay, maybe more than just a tad.

I would also not weigh too heavily what Smith did in San Fran prior to Harbaugh's arrival. That place was a dumpster fire.

Nov 6, 2002

Durandal1707 posted:

Three of the reasons why firing Marty was so moronic were:

A): he literally coached the team to a 14-2 record, including winning 10 straight against some pretty good teams during that run. And yeah, he's snakebitten in the playoffs; you know who also loses to the Patriots? Literally everybody else.

B): the fact that it happened because Marty and AJ didn't get along. They both hated each other to the degree that both went weeks without speaking to each other. Again, I blame Dean for it because one of ownership's jobs is to make sure the HC and GM are on the same page and communicating with each other. And as we've seen, Dean is about as spineless of a twerp as any owner in the league, so he never had the personality to step in and mediate.

C): the timing of it. You want to get rid of Marty because he can't win the playoffs, that's one thing. The problem is that the Chargers' whole coach staff basically got raided that offseason, with Wade, Cam Cam, Chud, Hudson Houck all leaving for other jobs, and since most of the good coaching candidates were already hired, that left the team with Norv.

also jesus christ I can't believe all this poo poo went down over 10 years ago now.

This begs the question, if forced to choose between a good coach and a good GM, which is the better option?

Nov 6, 2002

Cash Monet posted:

If a roster is talented enough it can overcome bad coaching, especially if you find a QB.

Worst coach to win a Super Bowl?

John Gruden?

Nov 6, 2002

I said to *win*.

Nov 6, 2002

The correct answer: Mike Ditka.

Nov 6, 2002

kiimo posted:

Jeez. Reminds me of Darren Sproles in high school, 79 touchdowns.

I once looked up Johnny Manziel's high school stats lol you have to check that out sometime he was a goddam superstar.

44TD 5INT his senior year.

Nov 6, 2002

Just once I want to hear one of these high schools turn out different.

"I played against AJ Hawk in a game my junior year. He gave up 4TDs and fumbled three times. I don't know why he was even on the field. "

Nov 6, 2002

Noooooooo! Oh my God, how could he do that?

Nov 6, 2002

They should be churning, they had one of the worst rosters in the NFL last year.

Nov 6, 2002

I think he ended up signing a pretty modest contract in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

He signed a 3 year, $21 million contract, but only $6.3 million is guaranteed.

Gronk money would be around $9 million a year. He may not be the best comparison though, because of his injury concerns he took a below market deal in exchange for getting a long deal - 6 years.

• Locked thread