Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

hey anybody ever hear of this Christine Michael guy who just got cut from the Packers? Seems pretty athletic could be a good sleeper pickup

I drafted CMike last year, and you're right. He's a very good sleeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

Ryan is a prime candidate to get overdrafted. I think losing Shanahan is going to cut down the offensive numbers in Atlanta across the board.

Mariota is my preferred prospect of the two, because he can just straight up dominate at times. I feel like his highs are higher than Winston's and his lows are higher too. He's an interesting combination of safer and more explosive.

EDIT: I decided to look and see if my feeling was right. So even though Winston beats out Mariota in yards, Mariota gained 7.6 yards per attempt, putting him in the top ten for quarterbacks. Winston averaged 7.2 YPA.

Moreover, despite throwing the ball 25% more times, Mariota had more big plays. 50 plays to 43 plays of 20+ yard passes and 7 plays compared to 4 plays of 40+ yard passes. That's an 11% chance to have a play of 20 yards or more, compared to 7.5%.

I haven't even looked over his rushing totals.

This just made me mad that I traded Mariota two years ago in my dynasty league for the corpse of Marshawn Lynch. :(

I have to wonder a bit if Erotic Smashmouth will keep Mariota's counting stats low despite better rates. I'm not sure I'd expect much change this year, just because I don't think rookie WRs are going to change it all in year 1.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

I think he will be better this year, but not significantly better. I think in two to three years, he could realistically see top tier status.

I also think year two of Derrick Henry and Tajae Sharpe will help and I don't think we can assume rookie receivers just won't contribute right away anymore. The last few years have shown that the learning curve for these guys is significantly less steep than it was even five years ago.

It's not that I don't think rookies will contribute, just that I'm not sure adding rookies is enough to overcome the 100+ attempt deficit he faces. At least not this year.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

I think the nice thing about him is he was pretty consistent for most of last year. He is definitely one of the guys I am targeting in the middle rounds. I think the nice thing about the way Tennessee is built is they are making it easy for him to be successful.

I think that's somewhat true. He doesn't seem like a guy who's going to lose you any games. In general, I'd pick a 4k+ yard passer though, and I don't think that's Mariota this year.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just draft Tarik Cohen for as many picks as you can.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Ultimate Josh Gordon buy low today imo

dont do this

Josh Gordon, CMike, ASJ. The late rounds are absolutely loaded this year.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Butter Hole posted:

Perhaps a dumb question: is there a beer sheets-equivalent for IDP? My dynasty league is introducing defensive players and the draft is this weekend. I am woefully unprepared. Anyone have some recommended resources?

Depends on scoring, but in the most common settings, you really want to draft for tackles. These often aren't the flashiest names. Look for MLBs who wracked up tons (100+) last year and are still on the same team. If there's a slot for DB, a strong safety is your best bet there. On the line, it's trickier since DE sack numbers can often make up for lower tackle production, but that tends to be swingier.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
My gut says that's probably right. The only real thing that makes me consider leaning Williams there is that if Rivers clicks with someone, he can make him anyone a valuable player.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

In redraft, I'm going Ross. But dynasty/long term, I just like Williams' profile, especially when comparing each rookie to Keenan and Green. Ross will never be the WR1 while Green is in town, and though I think it's unlikely, Williams could unseat Keenan for lead target, or at least be a very close WR1b to Keenan's WR1a.

Does Rivers being at the end of his career give you any pause for Williams in dynasty?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Looking over Dynasty stuff, is there any chance Dorial Green-Beckham ever puts it together? Like maybe he just needed a more credible threat than Matthews to open the field up?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
In what circumstances would you consider Mitch Trubisky to be draftable?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

FFS I'm working on a breakout/bounceback piece and most of my guys are on Evan Silva's list... Robert Woods, Eric Ebron, Jameis, John Brown

Now I'm looking like I'm just copying Silva.

:negative:

Is Kamar Aiken at all a possibility?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Cervixalot posted:

Didn't you hear? He is sober and turning heads at OTAS. https://twitter.com/rotoworld_fb/status/869738502937772032

If you were to compare his shape now to the rest of his life...

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

Do you really have Melvin Gordon as your 4th RB? Wasn't he very touchdown dependent last season, with a low YPC?

YPC was 3.9 so not great, but not Trent Richardson. He had 1400 yfs last year, just under 1k on the ground and 40 receptions rounded out the rest. That's not shabby.

That being said, I'd take Howard over Gordon in a heartbeat.

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 1, 2017

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Would you prefer CMike or Langford?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

That top one is quite an indictment of the jets.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I feel like the addition of a sure handed veteran could do a lot to help Mariota there.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

You'll never guess who Cecil Lammey spent multiple minutes discussing on The Audible.

Cody.

Mother.

Fuckin.

Latimer.

:regd08:

If his 3 years of stats were compressed into one game, it'd be a pretty impressive game, but you'd still probably wonder how he only got 1 TD.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, you have to have inflation of some type or else it can get really, really imbalanced, really fast.

It also means you'll have a really hard time ever expanding the league/finding somebody to take over a team in case somebody drops out because all of the good players are already locked up forever.

We have a league that runs similarly, but there's a hard cap on how long you can keep someone and it's extended for rookies, so you get decisions about whether to keep promising young guys for awhile or shorter terms on already talented vets. It's also a superflex league, which tends to free up non-QBs. It's not the best system, but it's worked fairly smoothly so far.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

89 posted:

Also, Melvin Gordon seriously has ZERO competition behind him to take his snaps. Rivers will get him back into those 5 yard redzone situations.

Todd Gurley is a tricky one. Surely he'll bounce back this year under a new scheme.

Buuuut, don't think I'm gonna fall on that grenade to find out.

The only place I'm going to have Gurley is the two deep keeper leagues where I already have him. Would not draft.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Todd Gurley haa been piss bad longer than he was good.

It wasn't pretty, but he got 1100 yards last year. There's a place for the guy who's going to get you 70 yards a game and the occasional TD. He's being drafted higher than that guy though.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Papes posted:

Todd Gurley is bad because the rams are bad. This is the life of non pass catching backs who aren't first ballot HoF's. Don't draft in redraft leagues but maybe look into buying in dynasty.

He caught 43 passes last year.

Spoeank raises a good point that if that goes away, things look grim, but it's hard to label him a non-pass catcher.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

My answer to DGB vs Langford was depressingly answered.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

Interesting. I feel the exact opposite. There are tons of deep rookies and un-sexy picks this year to round out a solid receiver core. Gore, Mixon, Crowell (but not in the 3rd, agreed), Perkins, Ingram, Powell, Gillislee are all guys I'd be proud to have as my RB1 if I didn't pick an RB in the first 3 rounds.

Like Papes said, I'm finding my best mocks are where I don't end up drafting an RB until round 4 (although I still follow my strict "best player available" rule for the first three rounds)

I'm nixin' Mixon, but otherwise that's a solid list of RB prospects.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

Counterpoint, Cooper and Luck could be top five at their positions for years.

Yeah, the shelf life on a young QB or WR is so much longer. I have a dynasty team where I my RBs peak at Todd Gurley, but I'm competitive year to year because I've Julio and a few other young WRs locked up as well as Wilson and Carr. If Cooper improves in year 3 on, it's barely even a question, without figuring in Luck.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that stuff all makes sense, but based on playing fantasy in usually two to four leagues for five years, my experience has been "whoever drafted or grabbed off waivers the killer RB that didn't get injured" is the one who usually wins the championship. The best way to convince me otherwise would be to aggregate data for a few thousand players, dividing between players who drafted zero-RB and those that didn't, and see who wins the most championships. My money is on either "zero RB is worse" or "there's no significant difference."

e. you could simulate this, but note that if your simulation is "one player does zero RB while the rest do ADP" that's not a valid test; you have to have the zero-RB player facing a real-world-correct set of opposing players, who would presumably react to the zero-RB player's strategy during the draft, and some of whom would presumably also be doing zero-RB.

I think that's where the comment to Go Against the Grain is most valuable. If everyone is dead set on going RB RB then Zero RB makes a ton of sense. If everyone goes WR-WR the guy grabbing RBs probably wins it. Going in with a locked in plan either way is dumb.

Sataere posted:

The issue I have with the roto article is that it is failing to take into account the trend that Dallas has started. As teams have geared towards the passing game, defenses are becoming smaller and faster, to become better equipped for that.

Yeah, that first "There's no reason to suppose..." seemed a little facile.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Congrats to anyone who scoops up DJ outside of the top 3 because of a sprain.

Sorry bro, not gonna grab DJ at 7 cause I'm going zeroRB.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I mean, it's not hard to imagine Dak improves some, they get Dez more involved, and Zeke just doesn't quite get the same opportunity. Being a low RB 1 would be a bit of a disappointment, but having a floor of RB1 and a ceiling of #1 RB really is enough to justify the draft spot.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Don't sleep on Polish Hat. It's a contract year!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

Um you forgot Austin Hooper. Rude.

I'm in 4 leagues where I'll be drafting TEs, and I'm betting I wind up with Polish Hat or Hooper in 2 of them.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

*whispers*

The Packers have never had a TE1 with Jordy Nelson playing a full season

Well now that's a fun fact...

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Like how insane is it to go deep sleeper and call for Tarik Cohen? Maybe even point out he's not draftable in shallow formats but keep an eye on him or something.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
To veer slightly into low ADP TEs, Baltimore lost 120 TE targets. Is there value in the guys remaining?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Abugadu posted:

He'll get yards, probably lots of them, the concern is that the Packers get throw-happy near the end zone, and when they do run it, half the time they pound it in with the fullback. But the dude had a ridiculous YPC given how other RBs did in that system, and he looks raring to go, with his only competition being a rookie, Jamaal Williams out of BYU.

The Packers literally drafted 3RBs this year. I don't think you blow three picks on at the position if you're happy with what you have there. It makes me leery of Montgomery at his current spot.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Papes posted:

The packers also literally let their top two running backs from last year walk. They weren't going to open training camp with 1 running back on the roster.

I think if they're just bringing in backups you sign some cheap vets, someone who knows how to block. 3 picks is a lot to blow on any position and not something teams do with a clear number 1 guy on the roster.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Too rich for my blood

At that price, I'd rather have Mumia.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

Don't draft Jets

Charone Peake is the new hotness. Suggested team name "M-M-M-M-My Charone"

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
The proper response to "Don't draft a TE early" is not to draft 2 TEs early.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I don't feel like you're likely to get Winston, Mariota or Carr for cheap. They seem to be fairly hot picks now.

I think all the guys hovering around the 14th off the board are pretty reasonable QBs. I wouldn't want to drop lower than that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

pubic works project posted:

Alshon over Keenan for me due to being burned TWICE by Keenan and his loving lacerated organs/ACLs.

My question:

I'm running two leagues for members at the private club I work at. Both are 14 team leagues and I believe we're going to auction draft for both. How do I make the waiver order random for the first week and then "move to last after claim"?

It's not like Alshon is lot better. He's missed 4 games or more in 3 of his 5 seasons. Both of these guys are promising and if they'd ever demonstrated durability they'd be going higher.

• Locked thread