Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

drizzle posted:

I'm excited about Perine ending up with Washington. I have the seventh pick in my dynasty league and I might be targeting him with it.

Well, just don't fall in love with him before seeing how the draft goes. Reaches happen. One of Mixon, Williams, Howard, or Cook could easily fall.

In the 2 QB dynasty league I'm in that has started drafting, Deshaun Watson went 1.01, Trubisky 1.05, and Mahomes 1.09. I started the day with no picks, but swooped in for Mixon at 1.06 and desperately tried to trade for Mike Williams at 1.12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Chris Thompson will keep catching passes, but it isn't like Rob Kelley will be hard to unseat as the early down guy.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also it's effectively a 5WR league so I wouldn't even worry about RB.

Yep. Go Davis happily.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

drizzle posted:

Don't want to give too much away or anything but he's fifth overall in his rankings now

That's awful

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

Interesting. That is very different from a lot of the projections I saw. I can't fault him too much. He liked Treadwell as much as I did.

Eh, looks contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. Goff wasn't going that high even in 2 QB leagues, and would be curious why he had Doctson so low, when I think he was the one out of the consensus top 3 WRs that most people agreed should be there (Treadwell definitely the one that consensus worried about most). Just kinda worried it's throwing contrarian takes out and then getting credit for the ones that hit, like how I want to say "but credit to him for having Henry higher than most, dude looks awesome."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

drizzle posted:

Could be, or it could be his actual opinion. He does a two to three page write up on the top fifty or so players at each position and includes the 1000 or so pages of his film notes so it's not like he's throwing out rankings without justification like most sites.

Ah ok, that's a ton of work, so will give him the benefit of the doubt.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

Decided to see if it was time to take teemu off ignore for the new season.

Nope.

Holding out hope for next year.

lol drat

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

I'm not sure I buy the contrarian for the sake of being contrarian school of thought. If anything, it shows his willingness to look at things objectively and not let consensus sway him, which I respect.

When you say you don't buy the school of thought, you just mean in this instance, right? Not that no one does it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Alright, dynasty trade time.

Superflex, 1 PPR, 12 team, 1 QB / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 QWRT / 3 WRT.

Ezekiel Elliott vs pick 4, 6, and 11

Probably looking at Mixon/Cook at 4, Mixon/Cook/Williams/Watson at 6, and Ross/Mahomes/some scrub lower tier RB at 11. Doesn't feel enough for Zeke, does it?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 4, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Cool, thanks for the input. I tried to get him to do his 2018 1st instead of 1.11, but no luck. His QBs are rough (Flacco, Palmer, Savage), so even though he was runner up last year, chances are that 2018 1st would be more middle of the pack.

I just almost always try to trade assets when they're realistically unable to increase in value, or at least very unlikely to do so. So far this off season I've moved several shares of Mike Evans, one David Johnson, and one Beckham. People seem to attach a premium to getting the best player in a deal and have a crazy recency bias/impatience, so I try to take advantage. Maybe will regret it, but I think it's a sound general strategy.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

It's a great strategy. I adhere to it also. But you need to do it in a way that makes you stronger long term and minimizes risk.

What does your current roster look like?

Winston / Prescott / Tyrod

Elliott / Ware / Powell / Rawls

Julio / Jordy / Moncrief / Tate / Tyrell Williams / Mike Wallace / Decker / Marvin Jones

Graham / Ebron

Good IDPs that I won't list because there's a ton of them

Pick 1.03 this year, someone else's probable mid 2018 1st, no other picks of note either year

Basically feel like depth at RB will be critical for me this year. Pick 3 should get me someone good, but don't think I can pass on Corey Davis if Fournette and McCaffrey go 1 and 2. So 4 and 6 being two of Mixon/Cook/Watson is pretty appealing. Just isn't getting enough back for Zeke, as Mixon and Cook could also easily not beat out Hill/Gio/Murray/McKinnon as clear cut workhorses and Watson is probably going to be a massive disappointment.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Cook's combine and draft day slip have spooked a lot of people, maybe too much. Williams I hate the landing spot, and some were already souring a little on him as a prospect (want to say his vertical and arm length were pretty poor?). It was such a weird real NFL draft with that top 9 too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Lol lotta bad advice. There's no better time for rookie drafts. Where is the fun in getting hyped up about UDFAs if you don't draft until they're already cut? If you stick to rookies taken in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft, you're limiting yourself to 4 RBs and 5 WRs, and taking Gerald Everett and Adam Shaheen over any others (who? exactly!). Enjoy your 1 round dynasty draft.

Fantasy Pros has rookie rankings through 78, but includes IDP, so offense only is a bit less.https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/rookies.php

Plenty of other places have scouting reports on most of the offensive guys listed there too. "Name scouting report" in Google is all you need.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I guess I don't get it. Not much will change drastically except for fringe late round guys you'll likely cut anyway, and a handful of rookies whose teams sign a vet FA in the next couple months. No one likes devy leagues here??

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

I'm not saying you have to wait until the preseason, but it's nice to get a couple of mini-camps in to sift through the later rounds.

It's just more information that everyone else gets too. You'll be sifting through the same garbage in the later rounds either way, as anyone that shines a little will move up the draft board.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Butter Hole posted:

Perhaps a dumb question: is there a beer sheets-equivalent for IDP? My dynasty league is introducing defensive players and the draft is this weekend. I am woefully unprepared. Anyone have some recommended resources?

Yeah, due to scoring differences between leagues, there's really no good rankings that are accurate across positions. I'd recommend going to fftoday.com, plugging in your league's scoring, and then seeing how both each position compares to others, as well as how the scoring gradient changes as you go down the rankings (DL#1 to #12 to #24 etc).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Go to football outsiders, find defensive snap count, draft every 3 down LB, profit

Unless it's 6 point per sack, 1 per tackle, and you have to start 3 DL and 1 LB

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Is drafting Joe Williams with 2.1 insane? He's crawling up mock drafts and seems to be going in the mid-2nd now in a lot of places. I've got 2.1 and 3.8.

He's still a solid step behind Perine, Hunt and Kamara in my estimation but if the TEs stay on the board those guys could all be gone by 2.1. At that point the board will have some mixture of Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, Chris Godwin, Foreman, Mack and Gallman. I don't really like any of those RBs (the position I'll need if I get to draft Davis in the first like it's looking) that much and I do like Williams. Do I just say gently caress it to draft position and take him?

The ideal situation would be a trade back and then still getting him, but mocks are all over the place and I don't know what the "safe" level to trade back to is. I don't even know if there is one. Somebody else might have Joe fever like me.

edit: I've got Hyde also if that changes anything. A week ago I was planning on trading up to 3.1 and (over)drafting him there but now everybody is onto it.

I think one of Perrine, Hunt, or Kamara should be there. If not, I'd take Zay Jones, Godwin, and Foreman ahead of Joe Williams. I mean, totally sincerely, you should do what you want, but Hyde can catch a football and is good. If you pass on Joe Williams there, some garbage handcuff almost exactly like him should be available at your 3rd :) Or forget about trying to trade back and just send a player straight up for a late 2nd. Then even if you miss on Joe, there really will be someone like Mack or Gallman there for sure.

Edit: Every league is different, but Joe William has gone at like 25-35 in my 1 QB leagues with IDP and veterans available, so something like 20-30 maybe in an offense and rookie only. I think you're right to expect him to be gone at your 3rd, so if you really want him, get back into the mid to late 2nd. Then even if someone snipes you on him, Jamaal Williams or Mack or one of the top 2nd tier receivers will be there for sure.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 16, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Also, drat I love 2 QB leagues. Trubisky at pick 5, Watson at 7, Mahomes and Kizer to the same QB-needy team at 10 and 11. In a TE premium league, I scooped up Mike Williams, OJ Howard, and Njoku at 8, 9, and 12. Watson has gone pick 1 in two others. I think late 1st and early 2nd is the sweet spot for value this year; either good skill guys drop when QBs go ahead of you, or you can extort some team desperate for a QB if they're still on the board.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

I blew up my dynasty team this year, so I have 1.01, 2.01, 2.04 and 2.06. Looking at this draft, I am super stoked at my second rounders.

I'm hoping that I can trade down from 1 to acquire some more picks, but I will be happy if I don't.

I find it interesting that Joe Williams is getting hyped up, but Kamara isn't, despite Sean Payton trading up for him. He's the sneaky dynasty value, imo.

Kamara isn't sneaky value is the problem, pretty much consensus late 1st from what I've seen. He, Hunt, and Perine are fairly solidified as a tier, I think, as the best RBs after the big four.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

If you don't want to take Davis with the 1.1 then you can pretty safely trade back as far as 1.4 and get a top tier guy. Any further and there's a drop off though.

Totally agree. Hell, if you aren't scared off by his combine numbers and Latavius Murray, go back to 5 and take Cook worst case.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

See, I don't like Davis that much more than Fournette, Mccaffery or Cook. I think they are all interchangeable. Hence my willingness to trade back.

Is Davis now the consensus number one over Fournette/Mccaffery? I didn't think that was the case a week ago.

To be clear, when I was talking about Kamara, I think he is still undervalued for the bottom of the first. I think he'll likely end up being one of the top three players in this draft down the road.

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, I'm excited about Kamara, but wonder if reports of the coaching staff being annoyed with Ingram might be exaggerated. As for Davis, I'm not sure he's consensus 1.01, just think uncertainty over Fournette's passing down role has let Davis creep in ahead of him for a lot of people.

Leperflesh posted:

Tight end chat. I just made this chart for the slow draft, because I was curious, so you guys might as well see it too.

The question was: how often do rookie tight ends contribute? With regards to when to draft a guy like Njoku. So, I put together the stats, with notes, on every first and second round TE drafted 2006-2016:
pre:
year	round	name			team		school		games 	catches/yards/TDs	Notes
2016	2	Hunter Henry		Chargers	Arkansas	15	36/478/8		TE1 Antonio Gates was injured part of 2016
2015	2	Maxx Williams		Ravens		Minnesota	14	32/268/1		Injured, IR oct 2016
2014	1	Eric Ebron		Lions		North Carolina	13	25/248/1
2014	2	Austin Seferian-Jenkins	Buccaneers	Washington	9	21/221/2		injured, IR dec 2014
2014	2	Jace Amaro		Jets		Texas Tech	14	38/345/2		
2014	2	Troy Niklas		Cardinals	Notre Dame	7	3/38/0			blocking TE
2013	1	Tyler Eifert		Bengals		Notre Dame	15	39/445/2
2013	2	Zach Ertz		Eagles		Stanford	16	36/469/4
2013	2	Gavin Escobar		Cowboys		San Diego State	16	9/134/2			was supposed to be a catching TE
2013	2	Vance McDonald		49ers		Rice		15	8/119/0			TE2 behind Vernon Davis
2012	2	Coby Fleener		Colts		Stanford	12	26/281/2		
2011	2	Kyle Rudolph		Vikings		Notre Dame	15	26/249/3		recovering from hammy, thrown to by Christian Ponder
2011	2	Lance Kendricks		Rams		Wisconsin	15	28/352/0		rams
2010	1	Jermaine Gresham	Bengals		Oklahoma	15	52/471/4		franchise record catches by rookie TE
2010	2	Rob Gronkowski		Patriots	Arizona		16	42/546/10		lol
2009	1	Brandon Pettigrew	Lions		Oklahoma State	11	31/352/2		Injured, IR Dec 1st 2009
2009	2	Richard Quinn		Broncos		North Carolina	15	0/0/0			never actually played any of these games
2008	1	Dustin Keller		Jets		Purdue		16	48/535/3		Brett Favre
2008	2	John Carlson		Seahawks	Notre Dame	16	55/627/5		Seahawks had many WR injuries this year
2008	2	Fred Davis		Redskins	USC		11	3/27/0			Barely played, was a fuckup
2008	2	Martellus Bennett	Cowboys		Texas A&M	16	20/283/4		Played behind Jason Witten
2007	1	Greg Olsen		Bears		Miami (FL)	14	39/391/2		injured knee, missed first two games
2007	2	Zach Miller		Raiders		Arizona State	16	44/444/3		No, the other Zach Miller, not the one still playing
2006	1	Vernon Davis		49ers		Maryland	10	20/265/3		Injured Sept 06, fractured fibula, returned Nov 19
2006	1	Marcedes Lewis		Jaguars		UCLA		15	13/126/1		Blocked more than catches, but was drafted to catch. Lol jags
2006	2	Joe Klopfenstein	Rams		Colorado	16	20/226/1		lol rams
2006	2	Anthony Fasano		Cowboys		Notre Dame	16	14/126/0		Primarily blocked, behind TE Jason Witten
My conclusion is yes, they often do, although there are probably a similar number of busts as for any other position.

Well, not sure I see the case for much optimism. Gronk and Henry only contributed due to touchdowns, and the next best TE on the list was probably a mid to low TE2? It's super nice to see it all laid out, of course. Convinces me that Njoku is the guy to take a flier on, as Howard and Engram are not going to get the red zone looks they need right out of the gates.

Edit: or was this from a dynasty perspective of "how often do they contribute eventually"?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
In redraft, I'm going Ross. But dynasty/long term, I just like Williams' profile, especially when comparing each rookie to Keenan and Green. Ross will never be the WR1 while Green is in town, and though I think it's unlikely, Williams could unseat Keenan for lead target, or at least be a very close WR1b to Keenan's WR1a.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Does Rivers being at the end of his career give you any pause for Williams in dynasty?

It's not great, but there aren't a ton of better spots. I'd rather see what he does in the next 1-2 years with a good QB, can always sell him on if I think he won't produce after Rivers. Though I think I actually do like Ross more than lots of dynasty people I've seen. A WR taken at pick 9 in the real draft has been falling to at least that far in some drafts.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

No

Basically this, though if you're in a deep enough league where like 70-80 WRs are rostered, he's higher upside stash than a lot of guys down that end of the rankings.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

In what circumstances would you consider Mitch Trubisky to be draftable?

Somewhere in the late 2nd to late 3rd in a typical offense-only 12 team dynasty with like 20-30 roster spots is reasonable. In 2 QB or superflex, late 1st is reasonable, though he's gone as high as 5 in some of mine. In redraft, not.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

I think a case could be made for early second in 12 man dynasty. That he's gone fifth in some drafts already is crazy.

Superflex draft, to be fair. Watson has gone pick 1 in like 2/6 of those drafts that I've been in, fwiw. QB desperate teams are going to be desperate. Usually all three of Watson, Trubisky, and Mahomes have been gone by like pick 12 or 13 at the latest, it's just more often Watson is like pick 5-7, then Trub and Mahomes like 10-12.

Edit: It wouldn't take much for them to return value at those ADPs, I don't think. Wentz seems to be fetching an early/mid 1st after his mediocre year, and Goff has crept back up into late 1st territory after his awful year, on account of the change in staff for the Rams and slight positive buzz about him improving. Garoppolo can probably fetch a 2nd right now, Osweiler was worth at least a 1st after Houston paid him, etc. I can't fault people drafting QBs so early too much, because there's just always a market for them in 12 team 2 QB. Half the league is not totally content with their QB situation.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 26, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Benne posted:

Mitchell Trubisky is going to be trash

Absolutely

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

Don't get me wrong, AA has value and think he could be a solid mid-late round pick this year.

Just calling him an RB2 last year based on 6 quarters of play seems a little disingenuous.

Agreed, agreed

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Who even cares, Chris Thompson is going to catch all the passes and Redskins will have like a 75:25 pass:run ratio.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

Who has more value as a keeper in a 2 QB league? Sterling Shepard at 9 or Willie Snead at 13? Neither of them are that valuable, but need to submit a preliminary keeper roster and those are my only WR that might have some value at their draft spot. Snead did not do much after the first few weeks, but overall he got a touch more ppg than Shepard. Also, is Gore worth trying to keep at 9?

Snead easily. Cooks left New Orleans, and Giants signed Brandon Marshall and a pass catching rookie tight end.

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Man, your Butt went way earlier than mine.

Edit: Ignoring the rookie TE value debate, who we like? I took Jonnu in my rookie draft.

They're all total long term stashes. Kittle in SF might get the earliest chance to relevance, but Jonnu is fine and could do something maybe in like 3 years.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 1, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

How high should I draft CMike? :)

Realistic question: If David Johnson, Lev Bell and Ezekiel Elliot are gone, who would be the fourth best RB to take in standard scoring?

Melvin Gordon! Though I wouldn't think you're dumb if you have Freeman or McCoy there, they're a reasonable tier for me. Then Howard, Ajayi, probably Demarco in the next tier.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

Melvin Gordon owns, YPC is an overrated and misleading metric. He caught a bunch of passes, broke tons of big plays, and yes, scored a bunch of TDs. Chargers invested into the o-line in the offseason, and added no RBs of note to challenge his workload, so it's wheels up on MG.

His TD upside might be down slightly with so many weapons (red zone threat Mike Williams, HH, old man Gates, Allen and T. Williams), but the Chargers should be a much better team this year (they were pretty unlucky last year) and have more leads/scoring opportunities. Gordon should be drafted in that second tier of RBs this season with no reservations.

Shady/Murray/Gordon/Ajayi/Howard (though i hate Howards lack of pass catching)

All of this. Plus new head coach that should be ground game friendly. Gordon is a dynasty buy for me right now, exactly because people are rightly expecting his touchdown rate to dip but wrongly ignoring all the other massive positives he has going for him.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

In Dynasty I was able to trade AP + 1.3 for 1.2 + 3.2. I think I won the gently caress out of that trade. Corey Davis get over here.

Fournette went 1? You might've been able to get slightly more for AP from a believer and I don't think you murdered the other owner, but I would have done this too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Kyle Rudolph was TE2 last year. MAYBE IT'S FINALLY TIME or maybe The Worst Position was actually some how worse last year so being the best at it actually really doesn't mean anything don't draft tight ends

Since people may not believe it because you said it, do remember that TE was worse last year than usual. Bennett was like TE#7, would've been #13 or thereabouts in 2015. Position was more of a shitshow than usual.

I do think Kelce owns and is entering that Greg Olsen tier of "locked in high end TE1 that is nevertheless not a game changer like Gronk". But not sure Maclin staying or leaving makes too big a difference either way.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I need a sanity check here. I just got an offer (dynasty, 2 RB 2 WR 3 Flex) of Davante Adams plus Gore plus 2.5 for Hyde and CJA. This would leave me with the following RBs: Gore, Perkins, Powell, Burkhead, West, Sproles. My WRs though would be: OBJ, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Adams, Crowder, Funchess, Aiken, Sharpe.

I feel like the value is definitely there for the trade, but the situation it leaves me in isn't good. I've always heard to draft value and trade for need, does that rule this out even though I really like the value?

The only hesitation I have is that Davante Adams might still be doodoo. Maybe it doesn't matter, as Rodgers needs someone to throw the ball too. But when I checked some efficiency stats from 2016 earlier this off season, Adams was like bottom third of 80ish qualified receivers in terms of things like drops, catch rate, red zone efficiency, other stuff I'm forgetting, while Jordy was still like top 25%. Like, Adams was at best average to mediocre, he just happened to get a little lucky with touchdowns and have little competition besides Jordy. Maybe I'm being unfair and he's really turned a corner, but I don't think he was dramatically better than 2015, he just had Jordy to soften up defenses for him and no one else to catch passes from Rodgers.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Sure, but being actually good at football makes the guy more likely to keep getting opportunity.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Do we also expect Cobb to look as bad as he did last year?

I don't know, but he went 18-260-3 on 24 targets in three playoff games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Imagine drafting Melvin Gordon before Shady or Devonta or DeMarco Murray tho

I'm imagining it and going to do it too!

Also I love DT and Keenan in the 4th.

• Locked thread