Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I just want to smile one of these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Fairfax believes in COALITION MAGIC

My god I can see the media's giant erection!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LOWKVq5sQ

ECONOMICS WIZARD

Anidav fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 2, 2017

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

Fairfax believes in COALITION MAGIC

I too can see that 970 is a greater number than 585 and possibly better than the alternative of 733. That was $20k of economics degree well spent!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

I just want to smile one of these days

Why are you following Australian politics then?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

Why are you following Australian politics then?

To watch the sun rise again.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

I too can see that 970 is a greater number than 585 and possibly better than the alternative of 733. That was $20k of economics degree well spent!

Where do the numbers come from Fairfax. What is this stupid image

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The article is actually criticising the government if anything by pointing out how much net debt has grown under the LNP compared to Labor

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Canberra airport has like one cafe and two vending machines. It sucks.

There's some pretty cool fountains outside.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Last time I was at Canberra airport Kevin Rudd was coming through security just after us and got "randomly" picked for a full pat-down and bag search.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Surely the ALP doesnt support this

Gillard was more than happy to rip money out of higher education to pay for Gonski.

After Rudd did his best to clean up the mess that Howard and Costello did to the sector.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Krazyface posted:

There's some pretty cool fountains outside.
Especially this time of year :rimshot:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tanya Plibersek is calling the "new" Federal education funding a 22bn cut, and merely "taking out the trash" for the Budget. The head of the Fed Education Union is mad too.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm wondering if after the 2014 budget not getting anything through if Unis aren't too worried about this one.

I feel like back in 2014 I'd already received emails from the VC that things were going to be fine, we'll work through it, blah blah but nothing so far with these announced cuts.

Our VC is still using the prospect of zombie cuts from 2014 that will _NEVER_ pass the senate to justify a lowball pay claim, understaffing, basically anything else she doesn't want to spend money on.

I think you'll find this tactic repeated across the sector, given most of them rip their plays straight out of the AHEIA book these days.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Spotted this in my meandering earlier today

:maga:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
You're trying your best to take that out of context but looking at the thread it was pretty obviously a joke.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Do tertiary education changes need to pass the Senate or can they be ~implemented via regulation~? I'm looking to go back to uni later this year and I'm feeling a little nervous

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Do tertiary education changes need to pass the Senate or can they be ~implemented via regulation~? I'm looking to go back to uni later this year and I'm feeling a little nervous

Senate. 2014 had worse cuts and they never made it through.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Senate, so Xenophon or PHON could torpedo it.

Also FYI it is STILL not worth paying off HECS ahead of schedule as long as they still aren't indexing it above inflation

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Senate, so Xenophon or PHON could torpedo it.

Also FYI it is STILL not worth paying off HECS ahead of schedule as long as they still aren't indexing it above inflation

They are if your salary isn't indexed

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

That's something at least (lol putting faith in Xenophon). The extra payments on my existing debt would bite hard enough without adding in the extra course costs.

I'd probably still take the second degree either way since it's kind of necessary for my career (hard to get anywhere without postgrad these days) but yeah.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Recoome posted:

My VC was actually very supportive of students. I feel like uni students in the Group 8 unis are hosed though

I once did enrolment hand-holding at a G8 uni. A good third of the freshers didn't even have tax file numbers, and their parents just paid the fees up front. The demographics probably haven't changed much since then.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mr Chips posted:

I once did enrolment hand-holding at a G8 uni. A good third of the freshers didn't even have tax file numbers, and their parents just paid the fees up front. The demographics probably haven't changed much since then.

Cripes, I've only just finished clearing my HECs debt from my degree and I'm thinking of retraining.

I hope PHON and NXT don't cave (but I am pretty sure the LNP will offer them a bullshit carrot that they never intend to follow through on and they will)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
What the hell do PHON care about graduates and students?

Nobody with an ATAR acceptable to a podunk supertafe is going to vote for them.

edit: Fixed

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 2, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

What the hell do PHON care about graduates and students?

Nobody with an ATAR acceptable to a podunk supertafe is going to vote for them.

edit: Fixed

There are plenty of tradies who never got ATARs who would never vote One Nation largely because they're mostly really dedicated to the idea of voting Liberal.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder what the treble is like on those headphones.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DancingShade posted:

I don't know but it's got free bass! :rimshot: I'll let myself out. No need to get rough.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon posted:

I don't know but it's got free bass! :rimshot: I'll let myself out. No need to get rough.

How could I ever be angry at someone with such a cool avatar. Carry on you magnificent beast.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DancingShade posted:

At least six years worth, but maybe only four if you plead guilty.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Schlesische posted:

There are plenty of tradies who never got ATARs who would never vote One Nation largely because they're mostly really dedicated to the idea of voting Liberal.

Just because every PHON voter is an uneducated turd doesn't mean every uneducated turd votes PHON though!

Cases in point, WA election; recent QLD polling.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The joke you all missed was "high"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

The joke you all missed was "high"

That's Rowen Dean quality.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The four year jail deal requires that you rat on a cartel. Seems like a pretty bad deal imo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australian remake of Narcos not looking so good.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Zenithe posted:

They are if your salary isn't indexed

They still aren't. Better off putting that money into even a TD, let alone some sort of index fund, than paying off less than 2% interest debt.

It is almost impossible to invest money and make less than HECS indexation.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So ScoMo is going to cut the Education Budget at the same time as 25 unnamed (incredibly rich) schools are going on THE HIT LIST that the Liberals were so so very concerned about last time.

I have to wonder whose electorate those 25 schools are in, and what they are getting under the table to not make a fuss about it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

So ScoMo is going to cut the Education Budget at the same time as 25 unnamed (incredibly rich) schools are going on THE HIT LIST that the Liberals were so so very concerned about last time.

I have to wonder whose electorate those 25 schools are in, and what they are getting under the table to not make a fuss about it.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/859268341701029888

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/859274364654571520

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

The four year jail deal requires that you rat on a cartel. Seems like a pretty bad deal imo.

Let's see if she's dumb enough to take it.

Doubtful she'll live four years if she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DancingShade posted:

Doubtful she'll live four weeks if she does.

• Locked thread