Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

They still aren't. Better off putting that money into even a TD, let alone some sort of index fund, than paying off less than 2% interest debt.

It is almost impossible to invest money and make less than HECS indexation.

This was more of a jab at myself, as my current award expired in 2014, so it's a bit more than that. gently caress the SDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/macleanbrendan/status/859363905931427841

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/859305863894323200

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Stahp

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He makes a pretty good plain teenage girl. Deffo should grow his hair out.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He makes a pretty good plain teenage girl. Deffo should grow his hair out.

What hair

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Wear a wig then.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hearing reports that anti-semitic flyers were posted aroun UQ today, same group that got kicked out of USyd. One SAlt dude reckons it was the same guy out of the USyd video, but I think that it's super unlikely

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Recoome posted:

Hearing reports that anti-semitic flyers were posted aroun UQ today, same group that got kicked out of USyd. One SAlt dude reckons it was the same guy out of the USyd video, but I think that it's super unlikely

Yeah nah, I wouldn't even be surprised if it's not even the same group. Just some edgy loving Nazi who saw the USyd video and wanted to make the right look more cohesive by using the same propganda.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
George Christensen has undergone weight loss surgery in Asia to ­remove 85 per cent of his stomach.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

George Christensen has undergone weight loss surgery in Asia to ­remove 85 per cent of his stomach.

Now just for the other 20 percent of him.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Thinks hes too good for honest auusie or's does he?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Leadership ambitions

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Less mass, just as dense.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

AgentF posted:

As a South Australian it loving infuriates me to hear twits on Q&A say "We can see what happened in South Australia" and have absolutely nobody challenge them that neither of the SA blackouts had a single thing to do with renewable energy. They had to do with 1) hurricanes knocking out the transmission lines, and 2) AEMO failing to turn on enough generators.

South Australians were sitting in the dark, not even clear of the crisis, when Malcolm Turnbull starting using us as a tool to bludgeon renewables with. Having dickheads continue to use us as a fake example of a made-up problem is maddenning, and having nobody challenge it is even more so.

Where were the greenies on that panel? Plibersek was a disappointment.

I've used it as a yeah, see south australia, global warming man, and need more infrastructure because poo poo is going to get wild, we really need to...

Which really throws them off the coal good wat

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Thinks hes too good for honest auusie or's does he?

The surgery was done by a Melbourne-based company called "Absolute Beauty Asia", so I don't know where the actual operation was done.

I'm sure a smarter man than me would find a fitting metaphor for the Liberal party somewhere in here.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

is this to go with the surgery that removed 85% of his brain as a child?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah nah, I wouldn't even be surprised if it's not even the same group. Just some edgy loving Nazi who saw the USyd video and wanted to make the right look more cohesive by using the same propganda.

They are at least distributing the same leaflets. It hasn't happened at the other two Brisbane uni's as far as I'm aware. The leaflet dropping happened during daylight hours but there's not a super strong left-wing sentiment at UQ so thats probably why it wasn't challenged

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Devine is talking up Abbott for governor general in the toiletgraph today.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

Worked for Hawke and Bill Hayden

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
IF breastfeeding promotes sexist stereotypes, gender quotas on motherhood can’t be far off, writes Miranda Devine.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Abbott should only be allowed to be GG if we then immediately go republic and get to watch his dumb face.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There is no way NTATA wouldn't have to be dragged out of office for repeatedly trying to sack the next Labor govt. These people don't even comprehend the meaning of impartiality or bipartisanship.

Think bronnie's stint as speaker, but with 100% more constitutional crisis.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Speaking of LNP bipartisanship...

quote:

Brisbane City Council has retracted a proposed local law after opposition councillors slammed it as "botched".

On Tuesday changes to the Advertising Amending Subordinate Local Law 2017 – which governs advertising signs, including election signage – were discussed at the council chambers.

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said the current local laws were out of date and that new guidelines had been trialled at recent elections and he was moving to formalise them.

Opposition leader Peter Cumming said the local law change was botched and would mean candidates for the coming state election would be locked out of campaigning until five weeks before the polling date.

"These changes to the Advertisements Local Law appear to enshrine one set of rules for elected representatives and one set of rules for candidates," he said.

"The new rules would mean an elected representative could set up an information stall every week, but their opponent would not be able to campaign until five weeks before the election.

"In effect, the administration is seeking to stifle democracy in Brisbane City."

The opposition moved an amendment to include "a candidate for election" to be permitted to have a pop-up information booth, along with sitting members for federal state or local government, but this was not supported.

A later motion to withdraw the document from debate was supported by a majority of Brisbane councillors, a move that the opposition claimed was an admission of error.

This approval of withdrawal of the local law prompted opposition councillor Shayne Sutton to move an urgency motion calling for the LNP administration to return to the pre-Campbell Newman practice of forming a bi-partisan committee to review local law changes.

"Prior to Campbell Newman becoming mayor, it was standard practice in Brisbane City Council to engage councillors from the administration and the opposition when laws were being drafted," she said.

"What we have seen today is a sloppy local law that creates one set of rules for incumbent representatives and seeks to lock out candidates from campaigning for election."

The withdrawn laws will be reviewed and presented to the council chambers for discussion at a later date.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Bogan King posted:

Former politicians should be barred.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Wheezle posted:

And not just from governorship

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Wheezle posted:

norp posted:

And not just from governorship

What about your precious Bob Brown?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
We smelt a pony in the barn yesterday and:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/federal-government-will-build-second-sydney-airport-at-badgerys/8488616

quote:

Badgerys Creek airport to be built by Federal Government as Sydney Airport declines first option By Clare Blumer Updated about 9 hours ago

RELATED STORY: Why building Sydney's second airport has fallen to the Government
RELATED STORY: Residents launch High Court appeal to avoid evictions for Badgerys Creek Airport
RELATED STORY: Should Sydney's airports be run by the same company?

The Federal Government has confirmed it will build Sydney's second airport at Badgerys Creek, after Sydney Airport declined their first option to take on the project.

Key points:

Sydney Airport had first right of refusal to build the second airport in western Sydney
The company said it would be too great a financial risk for their investors
Malcolm Turnbull said details of the Government's plan for the new airport would be released next week
The Sydney Airport Group cited the "risks" on monetary return for their investors as its main reason for declining the Government's offer.

It said it considered the likely demand and growth potential, construction costs, risk profile and financial returns of the airport before turning the offer down. In a statement, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said details of its plan to build the new airport would be announced in the federal budget next week. "It is a vitally important project for Western Sydney, for Sydney, and the nation, which is why the Coalition Government ended decades of indecision by committing to the project in 2014," he said. Urban Infrastructure Minister Paul Fletcher told the ABC the new airport was vitally important given Sydney Airport would soon run out of capacity. "It is very important that Western Sydney airport gets built and we've got a clear plan to do it, this is an important milestone," he said. Mr Fletcher did not rule out private investment in the airport further down the line. "Brisbane Airport right now is expanding significantly, building a new runway at a cost of $1.35 billion … that's all private capital, taxpayers don't have to fund that," he said. "In due course, it will become sensible for that to happen."

Already a 70-year proposal

State and federal leaders have been arguing about the need to build a second Sydney airport since the 1940s, a parliamentary paper says. Badgerys Creek in far-western Sydney was put forward as a possible site in the 1980s, and a Transport Minister turned the first sod on the site in 1992. There was also ongoing controversy over whether it was appropriate for Sydney Airport to run both sites, with the company having negotiated in 2002 the first right of refusal to build the second airport.

Sydney Airport made the announcement it would not develop the Western Sydney Airport (WSA) in an ASX release on Tuesday. "Sydney Airport's decision not to accept the WSA [notice of intention] on the terms provided is in the best interests of our investors who represent millions of Australians through their superannuation funds," managing director and chief executive of Sydney Airport Kerrie Mather said. "Despite the opportunities that WSA will present, the risks associated with the development and operation of WSA considerable and endure for many decades without commensurate returns for our investors." The release said Sydney Airport still had three months left to review the material terms of the WSA operation, whether the Federal Government elected to run the airport or offer terms to another party. "If the terms are more favourable, Sydney Airport would have the option to develop and operate the airport on those terms," the ASX release said.However, the release noted the Federal Government had advised Sydney Airport the deal would mirror its previous offer that the company declined on Tuesday.

Federal Government to step in to run airport

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce weighed in saying he "wasn't surprised" Sydney Airport had declined the first option. "I always thought they'd play us along as long as possible and then say no," Mr Joyce said. He hinted at the Federal Government retaining control of the project on Tuesday morning. "But we want to build Badgerys Creek. That's one thing that I'm absolutely certain about, the Prime Minister and I are absolutely one on this," Mr Joyce said. "Badgerys Creek is vitally important, it's a vital part, a piece of infrastructure, and now that the Sydney Airport corporation says that they're not interested, we'll get to work and make sure we find people who are." NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said her Government would support the Federal Government in ensuring the new airport was built as quickly as possible. "I think that what matters to the community is that the airport is built," she said. "So long as the fees are accessible and so long as the airport is built as quickly as possible, I think the community wants to see the project come to life as opposed to worrying about who builds and operates it."

Second airport still controversial for locals

The Western Sydney Airport, which is earmarked for a site at Badgerys Creek in far-western Sydney, has been mired in controversy since its inception. Some local residents have opposed eviction to make way for the airport. After the Federal Court dismissed their appeals court in March, a dozen residents have filed their case to the High Court. The residents' legal team expected to hear in the coming months whether the High Court's full bench would hear the matter.

From http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/why-the-government-has-to-build-sydneys-badgerys-creek-airport/8489696

quote:

<snip>Citi Group estimates Badgerys Creek Airport has a negative net present value of up to $2 billion. In the context of the federal budget, that's not a large amount of money for the potential monetary and social returns. The Government will get most of its money back in the tax paid by people whose jobs are created by the airport. And of course, there'll be the big pay day when Badgerys Creek Airport, like Sydney Airport, eventually is privatised.<snip>

Not enough up front cash for his high street mates so the taxpayer gets to stump up the money then get screwed all the way to the terror theatre display.

The way this was handled in the media is straight out of Yes Prime Minister with Turdball making Badgeys Creek his British Sausage disaster. In a way it is more Machiavellian because it gave him the perfect excuse for throwing public money at private profits. Makes you wonder if he thought it all up himself.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

JBP posted:

What about your precious Bob Brown?

Bob Brown should be made the president of the young Libs hth

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This schools funding announcement from the libs actually seems ok.

I mean, yes it's less money than Labor's plans were but still it seems to be very light on intentionally kicking the poor. What am I missing?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That it will go to the schools who need it the least?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

This schools funding announcement from the libs actually seems ok.

I mean, yes it's less money than Labor's plans were but still it seems to be very light on intentionally kicking the poor. What am I missing?

Anidav posted:

That it will go to the schools who need it the least?

Yeah, that's why they dismantled Gonski the second they could feasibly do so.

They ensure private schools get kickbacks, so the fees they pay for their kids to attend there (if they even pay at all, with mystery scholarships flying around) don't have to go up.

Meanwhile, the public system looks something like my avatar.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Has there been any analysis that supports that?

Getting Gonski on board to actually run it seems like a pretty good move.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apologies, I didn't see this latest development, and had made assumptions based on several decades of Liberal graft.

Link:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...ecdbaaad1bc5c95

edit:
Trigger Warning: Latham

The Arsestralian posted:

Malcolm Turnbull risks a revolt in the Coalition’s base after ditching the political tenet that no school would be worse off under ­education funding changes and embarking on a gamble to introduce “genuine’’ needs-based ­resourcing.

In a move that creates losers and alienates the Catholic schools sector, the government announced the funding for 24 independent Catholic and private schools would go backwards, a further 353 “overfunded’’ independent schools would have a lower share of funding and 9048 schools would receive more resources.

The federal government’s changes will see it almost double its federal school funding to $30 billion in the next decade, including a $2.2bn injection in next week’s budget. The money will be tied to reforms designed to reverse Australia’s 20-year academic slide and return the nation to the top of the global rankings.

The Prime Minister and Education Minister Simon Birmingham yesterday attempted to outflank their critics by appointing David Gonski — whose name has been co-opted by Labor and education unions to push the case for more school funding — to review how to spend money to improve student results, in a review dubbed Gonski 2.0.

Mr Turnbull has tempted a backlash with the Coalition’s voter base, particularly Catholic families, as he seeks to “right Labor’s wrongs’’ by implementing needs-based funding and “bring the school-funding wars to an end”.

John Howard guaranteed non-government schools that their funding would not go backwards, recognising that Catholic schools in outer suburban and regional areas, in particular, catered to average families who wanted choice with low fees. Labor’s Gonski model did not unwind the levels of funding the Catholic system historically had received because Julia Gillard promised no school would be worse off.

Former Labor leader Mark Latham, who was accused of stoking class envy when he created a “hit list” of overfunded schools during the 2004 federal election, said last night the biggest problems in education now were teacher quality and academic standards.

Mr Turnbull said the funding changes would end Labor’s patchwork of 27 inconsistent agreements and “ensure that students with the same needs will be treated exactly the same in terms of commonwealth funding — no matter which state they reside in, or the school system they are being educated in’’.

The government refused to identify the non-government schools that will lose money but the Education Department previously has identified overfunded schools including Sydney’s Loreto Kirribilli, St Ignatius College Riverview and St Aloysius’ College as well as Daramalan in the ACT and Melbourne Grammar.

The government will fund 20 per cent of the Schooling Resource Standard for government schools, up from 17 per cent, and 80 per cent for non-government schools, up from 77 per cent this year.

The changes mean that schools will transition more quickly, over 10 years, to their appropriate SRS, the funding benchmark at the heart of the Gonski needs-based funding principles. The reduction in funding for schools will be about 2 per cent or less a year until they reach the benchmark.

Mr Latham last night criticised the use of Mr Gonski, saying “the worst person to review the school funding system in Australia is a rolled-gold elite with no direct experience with the challenges of disadvantaged public education in low income neighbourhoods’’.

“His only ‘qualification’ appears to be a friendship with Turnbull,’’ Mr Latham said.

National Catholic Education Commission acting executive director Danielle Cronin hit out at the proposed changes, saying the government was unfairly targeting the sector and forcing Catholic schools to “abandon a mechanism that ensures resources are distributed fairly and according to need among schools that belong to a single Catholic schools authority’’.

Known as the System Weighted Average, the mechanism allows Catholic school authorities to spread resources across diverse school communities, she said.

Catholic Education Melbourne executive director Stephen Elder described the changes as a direct attack on Catholic parish primary schools. Under the plans, “parents at these schools will be expected to pay similar fees to those charged by elite independent institutions’’, he said. “This will hurt families of modest means most of all.’’

Senator Birmingham countered last night: “Surely nothing can be fairer than a funding model that treats all non-government schools ­consistently and on equal terms, based on the need of each individual school regardless of their sector or faith? Across Australia, Catholic school systems will receive ­estimated average per student growth of 3.7 per cent per annum, well above current measures of ­inflation or wages growth.’’

The per student base amount in 2018 will be $10,953 for primary students and $13,764 for secondary school students. The government argues more than 99 per cent of schools will see a year-on-year increase in funding, and on average per-student funding will grow 4.1 per cent a year over a decade.

Labor deputy leader Tanya Plibersek said it was “a smoke-and-mirrors, pea-and-thimble” ­effort to hide the fact the government was cutting $22bn from schools over a decade, instead of $30bn.

Independent Schools Council of Australia executive director Colette Colman welcomed the government’s “attempt to make the new model more consistent in application’’ while Business Council chief Jennifer Westacott applauded the government for “abolishing the commitment to maintain all schools’ funding levels — regardless of their level of privilege — (establishing) a fairer, simpler and more transparent approach to funding disadvantaged students and schools into the future’’.

NSW Education Minister Rob Stokes did not rule out the possibility of the state taking court action to enforce the current signed funding agreement with Canberra. “We come from a very strong moral position and we come from a position where we have acted in good faith in every dealing in relation to schools funding,’’ he said.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 3, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Subscribe to The Australian? No thanks.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wouldn't they just be using Gonski for policy branding? I mean the libs have taken ALP policy before, hosed it up and given it the same name eg NBN.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

Wouldn't they just be using Gonski for policy branding? I mean the libs have taken ALP policy before, hosed it up and given it the same name eg NBN.

Textbooks about the lie that is climate change, the benefits of a coal exporting economy and how cutting edge copper internet is.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Say a prayer for those poor Catholic schools getting a funding cut. :frogc00l:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I remember being a kid and my mom was taking me on a primary school tour during the Howard years as I was about to enter the school system and we checked out some Private schools around Ashgrove and one of them have loving elevators and fountains.

MONEY WELL SPENT

Ended up going to a Public School and turned out pretty much the same as the other kids who went to St. Wankers for Gifted Children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

St. Wankers for Gifted Children.
That would be an awesome name for a private school

• Locked thread