Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Has the government acknowledged the risk of increasing HECS/HELP debt by forcing students to borrow more? Unpaid/unrecoverable HECS debts were supposedly at over 6 billion in 2013, and growing at ~1 billion a year back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Shunkymonky posted:

The indexation rate in 2015 was 2.1%, so indexation on a $20K HELP debt would have been... $420!

Beautiful.

if only the kids run a bit faster on the treadmill, they'll be able to get off of it!

(I'm someone who worked part time so I could pay my fees up front and get a 20% discount, back when HECS fees were something you could conceivably earn part time while living independently. gently caress I feel sorry for kids starting uni now, they're paying much more for a shittier education)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

AgentF posted:

As a South Australian it loving infuriates me to hear twits on Q&A say "We can see what happened in South Australia" and have absolutely nobody challenge them that neither of the SA blackouts had a single thing to do with renewable energy. They had to do with 1) hurricanes knocking out the transmission lines, and 2) AEMO failing to turn on enough generators.
also, 3) AEMO/AER (I forget which) didn't maintain knowledge of the ride-through settings for wind generators, and 4) only fossil fuel generators were permitted to provide frequency control ancillary services. In other words, the organisation(s) responsible for ensuring the stability of the grid didn't know how some of its generators were configured, and wouldn't permit battery storage to provide resiliency. To their credit, this is changing.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Recoome posted:

My VC was actually very supportive of students. I feel like uni students in the Group 8 unis are hosed though

I once did enrolment hand-holding at a G8 uni. A good third of the freshers didn't even have tax file numbers, and their parents just paid the fees up front. The demographics probably haven't changed much since then.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Compare the conduct in Parliament to what you see on SA and we're practically angelic.
(I have no political connections so I'm free to talk out my arse on this topic)

Who is the parliamentary equivalent of raptorfag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Certain parts of the construction industry aren't going to like that.

• Locked thread