Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There you have it. The LNP admits giving public projects to the private sector is a waste of money.

I mean it'll be brushed over soon as it's convenient for them to sell another public asset to a mate for cents on the dollar. But still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

To put this into perspective 6KG of headphones is roughly 24 Sennheiser HD600s or 12 Audeze LCD2s.

Maybe if she was walking onto the plane with a whole cargo pallet I might believe her story. But a box that would fit into luggage? Yeah, nah.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://fundrazr.com/51EP39

guys the comments here are hilarious.

You're not wrong. Get in quick to read them before that drug smuggler's sister deletes more comments.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4661912.htm

Confirming what we suspected, turns out commercial news in Australia is literally just browsing Reddit for their stories with no fact checking :lol:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cheap Trick posted:

I think it was Ludlam's communications manager who made the point (on Twitter) that no-one from the Greens has been invited onto the show in the last 6 months.

It's your ABC.

*camera pans around to reveal room full of right wing conservatives*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know those obvious "buy property at the height of the bubble" home investment propaganda pieces?

ABC is getting in on the act http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/brickx-startup-selling-shares-in-sydney-melbourne-properties/8487790

It reads more like an advertorial for a startup.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder what the treble is like on those headphones.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon posted:

I don't know but it's got free bass! :rimshot: I'll let myself out. No need to get rough.

How could I ever be angry at someone with such a cool avatar. Carry on you magnificent beast.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

The four year jail deal requires that you rat on a cartel. Seems like a pretty bad deal imo.

Let's see if she's dumb enough to take it.

Doubtful she'll live four years if she does.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ShoeFly posted:

I work for Fairfax. This is going to be a fun week.

How in touch are they with the idea of working on a dying form of media? Like is there a plan for transitioning to that new fangled internet thingie the kids are talking about or are they buying shares in the nearest pulp mill?

Oh wait sorry I thought it was 1997 not 2017. So anyway I guess my question stands.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

My favourite thing about the Australian is when people let their wives comment on their accounts and they end their comment with "Wife".

They should end comments with the serial number tattoo on the back of their neck and a photographed certificate of authenticity signed and stamped by Husband using a wax seal.

Also that certificate better be on genuine parchment.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

You need to apply to fair work and follow laws. It's not actually illegal to take industrial action, but it is unlawful since there's a process. It was never lawful to strike either.

You're right but I can kind of see the logic.

If the ruling government isn't really bothering with protocol why should anyone else?

poo poo I hope the slide into leather jacket anarchy isn't precipitated by a newspaper walkout of all things.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

Practice, and the fun of panic. Regime change must be planned for.

Oh I'm positive it's planned for.

96 isn't a bad run. Probably going into end of life care in housed some quiet palace bedroom until he passes away.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Absolutely digging the fact that Trump has blown off Towelcum again

Turns out the party for possibly maybe destroying the ACA is more important than meeting Cuckballs. Maybe we should have suggested a Trump tower opening up in Sydney.

I like how every time Trump interacts with Trumbull he's always making sure that Malcolm remembers he's a beta.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Someone has to help fill the void once Fairfax finally goes under

poo poo at this point it's not entirely unreasonable to get your news from a dumb dying internet comedy forum because it's more reliable than buying a budgie cage liner propaganda paper.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
President Murdoch in all but name.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cohsae posted:

That's gotta be written by one of those predictive text algorithms right? They're testing if they're ready to fire everyone and replace them with computers.

News written by scripts and ad clicks generated by bots.

The real suckers will be those who pay for the adverts.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

evilbastard posted:

So the question always becomes :

If [Cost of Testing] x [Number of Users] > [Amount of money saved] then it's pointless.

In Florida a test of 4086 recipients found 108 people drug affected (almost all of it marijuana), and 40 people cancelled the test for unknown reasons.
The test cost $30 / person, which was refunded if the test was found to be negative

Total cost was $30 x (4086-148) = $118,140

$489 welfare saved per person who failed/skipped the test = $489 x 148 = $72,372 in savings

Therefore, the trial cost $45,768. It turns out that welfare users don't have a huge disposable income to buy drugs. Who knew ?

But the people who do the testing will pocket a nice big gift from the government, and this is another step towards normalisation of cashless welfare cards.

This line just bears repeating.

All these measures have nothing to do with the proposed outcomes. It's all about siphoning public money to private 3rd parties for undisclosed administration & processing fees.

If anyone actually needs it explained how it's very simple: you award the contract to your mates and they charge what they like. Taxpayer picks up the tab so who cares what it actually costs?
Contract management in government is perpetually poo poo and one would suspect deliberately so.

Unfortunately this type of graft isn't exclusive to just the LNP so I can't pick on them specifically. Federal ICAC now etc etc even though it'll never happen because nobody strings their own noose.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

If you get rid of this part the policy works :smug:

Nah you just need to charge more for the test so that even with an overwhelming majority of refunds you still turn a profit.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Do you submit the piss to the JSA or Centrelink?

To the JSA who send it off for expensive lab tests that they charge to Centrelink.

If they find any baby carrots or chunky bits then you're onto the government debit card which only allows you to buy lard, flour and gibblets.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm not going to suicide bomb the Daily Telegraph but by god I'd love to suicide bomb the Daily Telegraph

You'd send a better message by just getting your friends together and all taking dumps into the workings of the printing press.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

The army only takes those capable of doing the job. You wouldn't want a bludger defending our country! (in response to a person saying dole recipients should be forced into the army)

YOU WOULDN'T TRUST A BLUDGER WITH YOUR LIFE

You always find that the "make them join the army" people have never actually been in the armed forces themselves.

Or they did serve but they're so old that it's a vague and distant memory, and it turns out they only did national service at their local barracks a lifetime ago.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like how the whole budget amounts to "couldn't balance the books so just raised taxes".

Because there is no way the bank levy won't be 100% passed on to consumers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Cutting off the desperate from their means of survival is going to do only one thing - increase theft and other forms of crime.

Check and update your home security accordingly folks :toot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

Holy poo poo, is it just a universal rule everywhere that the people who want to be in politics are the worst possible people to be in politics?

What the actual gently caress. "We're a grassroots party, lol you selected me now I'm goping to do loving whatever gently caress you."

Jesus christ.

Yes.

I did youth parliament in my uh... youth. The adults and the children are one and the same.

You spend any time with LNP and Labor MPs up close and informally you realize quickly it's basically private school boys arguing over club rules. You're either into that or you're not.
Serving the public? loving lol, that's not what any of it is about.

Should be clear, I never went near that place again after doing youth parliament. gently caress that. I don't have a lot of self respect but I have more than that.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 10, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Why is he wearing a suit?

Leader of a cult commune.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I can't help but wonder if this is all a temper tantrum over refusing to fund the Adani mine with a bank loan.

No? Well gently caress you then, levy time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

And the banks were giving less donations to the Lib campaign funds, because they decided not to throw money after a losing prospect

Oh I'm positive after ScottyMoBoy showed them who's boss by rubbing his genitals across their profit margin and making open ended threats that the donation money will just roll back in as they try to court LNP favor in future.

After all the merchant class should know their place is always below that of the nobility.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

I highly doubt it would even punish the poor that well. If this thing does actually gain traction, it would be the easiest thing in the world to sell it for cash. $1 ~ 85c on a basics card etc.

e. monetarily, for making people feel like they are poo poo, it's probably not bad.

It's not about punishing the poor. That's just a bonus.

The entire point is to give money to a mate's card processing company with a sweet long term government contract.

You know. Good old fashioned corruption. That's why all the costs are commercial in confidence.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

Scary times for the humanities. Glad I got my degree in when I did.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/12/humanities-students-budget-cuts-university-suny?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Humanities departments in America are once again being axed. The reasons, one hears, are economic rather than ideological. It’s not that schools don’t care about the humanities – they just can’t afford them. But if one looks at these institutions’ priorities, one finds a hidden ideology at work.

Earlier this month, the State University of New York (Suny) Stony Brook, announced a plan to eliminate several of the college’s well-regarded departments for budgetary reasons. Undergraduates will no longer be able to major in Comparative Literature, in Cinema and Cultural Studies, or in Theater Arts.

Three doctoral programs would be cut, and three departments (European Languages and Literature, Hispanic Languages and Literature, and Cultural Studies) would be merged into one. Not only students but faculty will be affected; many untenured teachers would lose their jobs, and doctoral candidates would have to finish their studies elsewhere.

This is happening at a time in which high salaries are awarded to college administrators that dwarf those of junior or even a senior faculty member teaching in at-risk departments. That discrepancy can only be explained through ideology. The decision to reduce education to a corporate consumer-driven model, providing services to the student-client, is ideological too.

Suny Stony Brook is spending millions on a multiyear program entitled “Far Beyond” that is intended to “rebrand” the college’s image: a redesigned logo and web site, new signs, banners and flags throughout the campus. Do colleges now care more about how a school looks and markets itself than about what it teaches? Has the university become a theme park: Collegeland, churning out workers trained to fill particular niches? Far beyond what?

The threat of cuts that Suny Stony Brook is facing is not entirely new. In 2010, Suny Albany announced that it was getting rid of its Russian, classics, theater, French and Italian departments – a decision later rescinded. The University of Pittsburgh has cut its German, classics, and religious studies program.
Advertisement

This problem has parallels internationally. In the UK, protests greeted Middlesex University’s 2010 decision to phase out its philosophy department. In June 2015, the Japanese minister of education sent a letter to the presidents of the national universities of Japan, suggesting they close their graduate and undergraduate departments in the humanities and social sciences and focus on something more practical.

Most recently, the Hungarian government announced restrictions that would essentially make it impossible for the Central European University, funded by George Soros, to function in Budapest.

These are hard times. Students need jobs when they graduate. But a singular opportunity has been lost if they are denied the opportunity to study foreign languages, the classics, literature, philosophy, music, theater and art. When else in their busy lives will they get that chance?

Eloquent defenses of the humanities have appeared, essays explaining why we need these subjects, what their loss would mean. Those of us who teach and study are aware of what these areas of learning provide: the ability to think critically and independently; to tolerate ambiguity; to see both sides of an issue; to look beneath the surface of what we are being told; to appreciate the ways in which language can help us understand one another more clearly and profoundly – or, alternately, how language can conceal and misrepresent. They help us learn how to think, and they equip us to live in – to sustain – a democracy.

Studying the classics and philosophy teaches students where we come from, and how our modes of reasoning have evolved over time. Learning foreign languages, and about other cultures, enables students to understand how other societies resemble or differ from our own. Is it entirely paranoid to wonder if these subjects are under attack because they enable students to think in ways that are more complex than the reductive simplifications so congenial to our current political and corporate discourse?
Advertisement

I don’t believe that the humanities can make you a decent person. We know that Hitler was an ardent Wagner fan and had a lively interest in architecture. But literature, art and music can focus and expand our sense of what humans can accomplish and create. The humanities teach us about those who have gone before us; a foreign language brings us closer to those with whom we share the planet.

The humanities can touch those aspects of consciousness that we call intellect and heart – organs seemingly lacking among lawmakers whose views on health care suggest not only zero compassion but a poor understanding of human experience, with its crises and setbacks.

Courses in the humanities are as formative and beneficial as the classes that will replace them. Instead of Shakespeare or French, there will be (perhaps there already are) college classes in how to trim corporate spending – courses that instruct us to eliminate “frivolous” programs of study that might actually teach students to think.

I'm all for the retention of humanities but they need to stick up giant signs everywhere saying "This is for personal development and won't get you a job".

Those radio journalism or classics degrees are full of great info but it's not going to put bread on the table or pay the rent. And the ever climbing higher education fees makes this a big factor of consideration.

The days of "oh gosh you have a degree, never mind an interview welcome to the firm!" are long dead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Or they could wander into a magical wardrobe, meet a talking lion and become King of Narnia.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hear sticking your dick in the mouth of a dead pig is a sure fire way for advancement.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Look if you're going to walk into the Auspol thread off your face then you really ought to bring enough drugs for everybody.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

NEWS FLASH, SDA EVEN SHITTIER

They are actually arguing with Coles against a nightfill worker who thinks that the current agreement is not where it should be.

Like, just gently caress off. Why are you even calling yourself a union if this is what you do.

The fact anyone at all still pays the SDA union fees is all you need to know about why they keep doing this.

People too stupid to know any better giving extra cash to their oppressors. It's forehead slapping.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Haha you think any of us will be allowed to retire.

I've known for years that I'll die in my boots. No question.

When it's our turn retirement as a thing will be long loving gone or far above the average age of death my friends.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean I'd imagine most of their due paying members are kids in school or just out of it aren't they? I don't really blame them for not knowing how poo poo the union they're trusting to protect them from exploitation is. I hope that new :airquote: association :airquote: takes off, because that's far more likely to work out than simply not paying dues to the SDA until they fix their poo poo. Because lol.

AgentF posted:

I was in the SDA when I had my first job packing shelves at Coles and had no idea what anything was. I imagine it's the same for all their members.

Good money in preying on the young who don't know any better.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

I'm sure that the everything else Brandis has done has helped drive nails into the coffin. He doesn't exactly scream success.

But stripes are so slimming.

No no vertical stripes Georgie boy. Vertical like all the books you own that are safely stored pristine on those fancy bookshelves.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

It's... happening?

Burn it all down.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

I wonder which self absorbed, power hungry, unhinged sack of poo poo the top of the Greens ticket is helping to drag the SA vote down?

It's almost like all politicians are bad.

Except for the ones in AusPol of course. Being a goon is probably the best training any of them could hope for.

Compare the conduct in Parliament to what you see on SA and we're practically angelic.
(I have no political connections so I'm free to talk out my arse on this topic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I went back a couple pages to check so hopefully I didn't miss anyone else posting this:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/15/up-to-70-news-corp-australia-photographers-made-redundant

The bucket of money being poured into the News Corp propaganda machine appears to be running out.

Of course they fired photographers instead of opinion piece writers so you know where their priority still is.

• Locked thread