Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So boomers bought their first home in 1989?

So when the some of the youngest amongst them were 30?

Riiiight.

Also I wonder what wage growth and job security looked like in the 1980s.

I love me some revisionist boomer history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

The 17% interest thing is a loving load of poo poo because when people bought that debt, they were putting their hand up for 15% or at the lowest 13.5%. Yes 17% is a bit of a jump from that, but full time employment and stability meant you could weather these increases. Today you've got highly paid people fighting over 12 month contracts, poorly paid people getting a text message the morning of work telling them if they're getting paid this week and a middle class that has either fallen away or become the rent lords thanks to the variable loans they bought at 13-15% in the 80's loving PLUMMETING in the 1990's meaning they paid off loans in record time and had a fuckload of equity available.

Anyway boomers cn eat poo poo etc, they're a pack of fat old liars and we should kill them all.

Preach brother.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

If you loved them enough that you wanted them off drugs maybe put money into programmes that are effective at doing just that instead of pissing it up against the wall with your hate boner stunt bullshit.

Yeah holy poo poo stripping financial support from people struggling with drug addiction is a pure recipe for suicide.

gently caress you Turnbull you piece of poo poo, you could sell this as fairness, or smell test or any other bullshit rationale but selling this as if it is loving helping people is beyond the loving pale.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm a greens voter and member, but there's no way in hell I wouldn't preference Labor immediately after.

Labor aren't perfect (neither are the greens) it's just that the policies of the greens align with my views about what defines good policy more closely than do the policies of Labor.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
We've got a civil war going on in that benighted party, between two pretty unsavory sides, it's not goodies versus baddies, it's Abbott vs. Turnbull.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

$500 a week for 5 years is what it takes in Melbourne ($142,000).

If someone gave me $140k the last thing I'd do it buy a house. You can turn that poo poo into a pretty decent passive income, work part time and do poetry.

Surely you can't get a great deal of passive income off 140k?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
A good friend of mine is a professional physicist. He has a doctorate in physics and is honestly probably one of the smartest people I have ever met. He failed year 12 English, luckily when he went through there were other pathways for year 12s who failed English. Removing those pathways is a loving awful idea.

NAPLAN tests are a fine idea, but they can't be used as a basis for assessment of capability, they're great as a snapshot but as soon as it becomes important schools will have to prep students for them and they'll lose all meaning.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

They're not taking away bridging courses or mature age entry are they?

I was talking about NSW linking HSC to Naplan results. No Naplan pass, no HSC mark. Haven't heard anything in the like in WA thankfully.

EDIT: Should have been clear I was talking about the original article that started discussion.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

If you failed Year 12 English wouldn't that mean you failed your HSC, meaning you'd have to do a bridging course anyway?

Yes. The problem is they're doing this testing in year 9.

How do you get into HSC streamed subjects if at year 9 level you're ineligible for an HSC mark?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

Is the plan to deny kids the chance to enroll in those subjects though? I haven't read the report yet but I didn't get that impression from the news articles.

I'll take "unintended outcomes" for 500, thanks Jim.

Or, I'll take "cynically intended unintended outcomes" for 1000.

Basically my view is that it risks disenfranchisement of students (telling a kid in year 9 they can't get an HSC mark or risk a school saying "you won't get an HSC so we can't have you dragging down our HSC students by letting you do HSC streamed courses") for no actual benefit.

Year 12 English when I did it was a crock of poo poo. I got one of the top marks in my year by cynically huffing farts about phallic symbolism, birth analogies and religious symbolism studying books I knew the examiners wouldn't have read and lying about them. My grammar is bad, punctuation is mostly a mystery and to me an "adverb" is a verb used in advertising, my writing is ugly and my spelling is merely ok. These kind of assessments are dumb and bad and I already think our education system is far to tied into this to accept that if someone isn't crash hot at comparative literature they're probably not going to be impaired in their career as a financial accountant (and vice versa, if someone doesn't know how percentages work, it's not going to be much of a hindrance to their philosophy degree.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Watch me eat the words "Pell may be a huge piece of poo poo that did nothing about the abuse of children by priests but there's no evidence he himself was an abuser". Watch me eat them and choke and die.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I think you mean the perfidious left.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I didn't think Pope could be more amazing, but here we are.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

If anyone is keen for some winning the Trump thread is winning all the time and not slowing down right now.

Someone, somewhere is slowly getting closer and closer to pronouncing nikstlitslepmurT correctly.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Budget analysis shows some women hit with effective marginal tax rates of 100%

A new analysis of the combined impact of the Turnbull government’s budget measures suggests women earning below-average wages could be hit with effective marginal tax rates of 100%.

A study of budget initiatives by the National Foundation for Australian Women, to be released on Monday, says a combination of an increase in the Medicare levy, the freezing of family tax benefit rates and earlier repayment requirements for student loans “are particularly harsh for women”.

The study notes the proposed increase in the Medicare levy will affect women on incomes greater than $21,644 and, for women who are eligible to receive family tax benefit part A, the rates are frozen for two years.

“Those who pay childcare fees will continue to face high effective marginal tax rates,” the report says. “University graduates will start repaying loans when they reach income levels of $42,000 per year.

“These changes hit those on earning well below the average wage and are particularly harsh for women.

“Combined, these changes could lead to effective marginal tax rates of possibly 100% or higher for some women, particularly as family tax benefit part A begins to decrease at $51,903.

“Graduates caught between these policies will experience considerable financial stress; graduates earning $51,000, most of whom are likely to be women, will have less disposable income than someone earning $32,000.”

Effective marginal tax rates are the proportion of an additional dollar of earnings that is lost to both income tax and the reduction of mean-tested government payments.

The report, Gender Lens on the Budget – the second annual assessment of the impact of the budget on Australian women – points out that women are overrepresented at lower-income levels and changes to government benefits and increases in taxes have a disproportionate effect on women.

The report says that, according to statistics from the Australian Taxation Office, the median income for women was $47,125 in 2014-15, while for men the amount was $61,711.

The report notes the budget papers supply no modelling outlining the EMTRs for different groups of women.

The foundation welcomes “some significant improvements in infrastructure, disability support, health and housing” in the 2017 budget.

The report says the latest budget contains policies that alleviate some of the proposed cuts of previous budgets, which is a welcome development, but it says the latest economic statement “doesn’t radically turn things around for women”.

In her foreword to the report, feminist, social activist and retired public servant Marie Coleman, who heads the foundation’s social policy committee, notes that treasury has a micro-simulation tool to assess distributional impacts of budget measures.

“We are at a loss to understand how measures could have been introduced in different portfolios which come together to produce EMTRs of up to 100% or more when the government continues to emphasise the need for greater productivity and to encourage female workforce attachment,” Coleman says.

“It is quite clear to us that, notwithstanding the elevation of the office for women to full divisional status and its relocation in the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, that there has not been any effective gender aware analysis in the formation of this budget.”

Coleman says the foundation does not doubt the prime minister’s personal commitment to enhancing equity for women and girls but she says the government needs to produce a women’s budget statement to carefully assess the distributional impacts of various policy measures.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/21/budget-analysis-shows-some-women-hit-with-effective-marginal-tax-rates-of-100

"Oops we were aiming at poors but accidentally hit women."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Before Times posted:

So it'll be a levee levy?

That's enough levee levy levity.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

This is why you people can't effectively communicate with working Australians.

Look at this blue collar elitist here, being judgey and superior to us inner city types who give a poo poo about their jobs.

Don't be prole-ier than thou.

EDITED TO IMPROVE PUN

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 23, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

The Quadrant article has stopped working. Either it's being hammered or been pulled in recored time.

Edit: It was being hammered, still up.

The author of this article does not understand statistics.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Franklin told Fairfax Media that he stood by the point he was seeking to illustrate in the essay, which he said he had first posted in draft form and updated progressively over the evening.

"The whole piece was an attack on terrorism. It is absurd to suggest that in the third-last paragraph I would advocate a terrorist act."

He said he was making a rhetorical point about the absurdity of a suggestion by one of the panelists on Monday night's program that accidents involving refrigerators kill more people than terrorism, and what he saw as the ongoing refusal of ABC commentators to acknowledge the true causes of terrorism.

"Our lives and the way we live are being constricted, we live in fear and the causes are being obfuscated," he said.

No, the fearmongers are pretty clearly identified.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I applied for and received a personal loan today and the bank spent 90% of the time I was there talking to me about getting a home loan and how I can do it with my parents ans guarantors and how the market is only going up so I should definitely invest now.

Im like 'guys I literally just borrowed 25 grand off you because I am terrible at saving for things. I mean you can even see how much I earn and spend and without even plugging that info into a computer I can tell you its a bad idea.'

2018_Australian_Banking_Crisis.txt

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Probably worth mentioning that it was also a cold call preapproved loan from my actual bank, but the timing was convenient in that i was going to call them to ask anyway.

hooman posted:

2018_Australian_Banking_Crisis.txt 2017_Australian_Banking_Crisis.txt

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Someone just earnestly told me "you have to believe that all politicians are acting in what they see as the best interest of everybody".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Advice from treasury indicates that corporate profits are not high enough to sustain future budgets, to stimulate growth we are removing the minimum wage AND cutting company tax rates to 5%

It really is especially galling in the wake of the corporate tax cut.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

jesus loving christ just kill me now

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Hit them with a cream pie.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/16/rod-culleton-told-to-repay-senate-salary-and-entitlements

Compare and contrast.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Pulling support from Notable Scammers Careers Australia is a good thing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

What you reckon folks, Ranga or Gootongue or Gooanna?

Bogg

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

F'realsthough Gooanna

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis posted:

Popping in to see where ScreamingLlama's gone.

If you listen closely you can still hear his name whispered on the wind.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

So when Labor eventually wins government they are going to drop Shorten and make themselves look like idiots again, right?

Nah, they're just going to put in a bunch of kick the poor and worker LNP budgets courtesy of the SDA.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
From Guardian Politics:

Tony Abbott:

"We keep tiptoeing around this subject and the problem is that nearly all of the terrorist incidents are associated with people yelling out ‘Allahu Akbar’ as they kill.

I’m not saying for a second that all Muslims can be lumped into the same basket — of course not, of course not — the overwhelming majority of Muslims right around the world, particularly here in Australia are decent people, but but there is this strain of ‘death to the infidel’ in Islam and that’s why it’s vital that we work with live and let live Muslims to try to ensure that this ‘death to the infidel’ strain is gradually massaged away.”

geez tones, I wonder why people who yell Allahu akbar get classified as terrorists and why people who don't don't. :thunk:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

On the plus side if all the leaners paid this little tax there would be no money to pay politicians.

http://www.afr.com/news/chevron-loses-australias-biggest-tax-case-20170420-gvp8e1

I was going to defend Chevron given how much money I know they've been pouring into the development of infrastructure of Gorgon/Wheatstone/Jansz so they might not have been making any money but yeah holy poo poo gently caress them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Famous sportsperson very lovely opinions shocker"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Wasn't really meant to be against you or anything. It's a big thing in history that I dislike, your comment that it was probably a common thought just reminded me of it. Sorry.

yeah lovely opinions that are forgiven by "the times" should really only be forgiven once the holder has issued a full retraction with mea culpa and depending on how lovely the opinion was, possibly an apology.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts tweeted that "If ASIO can't see a link between refugees and terrorism we are in far greater danger than I thought".

Yes Malcolm if the professionals whose job this is can't see a link then clearly the fault is with them. What is the point of an expert any more?

Oh I asked a lawyer if my sovcit defence would work and they said no, but clearly it will since admiralty law so they're clearly wrong and obviously lawyers know nothing about our legal system.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Pauline Hanson’s One Nation has resuscitated its threat to refuse to support the Turnbull government’s budget measures unless the ABC’s funding is cut.

Brian Burston, One Nation’s party whip, said it had received “unfair treatment” from the ABC and the party would reject “all bills associated with the budget” unless the broadcaster’s $1bn a year funding was cut by $600m over four years, according to the Australian.

lol

I hope this is called out for what it is, the action of dictators. We don't like what you wrote, so you aren't allowed to write any more.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Haha, implying there ARE actually homes under 600K in NSW that are not rat infested death traps!

No thanks, I WILL stick with Queensland!

RIP Anidav, carried away by rats.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I imagine that it will be eaten up pretty quickly with a sharp price jump.

Much like Anidav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Missed opportunity for "Social Media McPhail"

• Locked thread