Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He's cutting University funding and putting up fees.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

No worries, I'll just negatively gear enough properties until I'm making less than $37k

Or I dunno, emigrate

Neither of those will work.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

why won't emigrating work? I'll probably be a CA before it becomes feasible so I'm sure I can come up with some way of dodging HECS

Apparently you have to report your worldwide income to the ATO lol.

Also what is she trying to say here?

https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/858974380541452288

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/WMDsearcher/status/858985093246754816

The property developer is his sugar daddy? I dunno wtf

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://fundrazr.com/51EP39

guys the comments here are hilarious.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Queensland senator said Mr McNee — who financially supported One Nation — had not “donated” the plane to the party but admitted he had given it to Mr Ashby for his personal “business”.

“He didn’t donate the plane to James Ashby. Having met James, they became friends,” Senator Hanson told Sky News.

“Bill’s a developer and he ­actually has a lot of business that he does in Queensland, and Bill was continually looking around for a plane.

“He found out James was a pilot (and) he thought: “Here’s a great opportunity to actually have a plane and to actually ­use it as well.’

what is this i don't even?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
That BuzzFeed article about Millennials property millionaires was pretty good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 2, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Canberra airport has like one cafe and two vending machines. It sucks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Press Council considered whether its Standards of Practice were breached by the publication of an article on news.com.au on 10 January 2017, headed “Woman accused of terrifying 7-Eleven axe attack is transgender unionist once known as Karl”.
The Council considers the publication took reasonable steps to avoid causing or contributing materially to substantial offence, distress or prejudice, or risk to health or safety. The public interest also justified reporting on her request for hormone therapy drugs. Accordingly, General Principle 6 was not breached in this respect.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/press-council-adjudication/news-story/d3272fc98408d8d83442587509fd84f2

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DancingShade posted:

I wonder what the treble is like on those headphones.

At least six years worth, but maybe only four if you plead guilty.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

The joke you all missed was "high"

That's Rowen Dean quality.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australian remake of Narcos not looking so good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

So ScoMo is going to cut the Education Budget at the same time as 25 unnamed (incredibly rich) schools are going on THE HIT LIST that the Liberals were so so very concerned about last time.

I have to wonder whose electorate those 25 schools are in, and what they are getting under the table to not make a fuss about it.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/859268341701029888

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/859274364654571520

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/859305863894323200

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
George Christensen has undergone weight loss surgery in Asia to ­remove 85 per cent of his stomach.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
IF breastfeeding promotes sexist stereotypes, gender quotas on motherhood can’t be far off, writes Miranda Devine.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

I went to a private Catholic school, but it didn't have an elevator. What level of class enemy am I?

Were you actually Catholic?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Fairfax Media staff to strike after 125 more jobs axed under major restructure plan

Staff at the Sydney Morning Homosexual and The Age in Melbourne have voted to walk off the job for a week following Fairfax Media's announcement that it will cut 125 editorial jobs — roughly a quarter of its newsroom — as part of $30-million restructure.

Staff were informed of the cuts this morning by email and in a meeting with editorial director Sean Aylmer.

Staff have been given a deadline of next Tuesday, May 9, to nominate for a voluntary redundancy.

"While we will be looking across all parts of the newsroom, at the end of the redundancy program we expect there will be significantly fewer editorial management, video, presentation and section-writer roles," Mr Aylmer said.

Fairfax will also cap rates offered to freelance contributors and slash payments to casuals, aimed at cutting $3 million from the budget.

Mr Aylmer also signalled a change in editorial focus with the key mastheads — The Sydney Morning Homosexual, The Age, Brisbane Times and WA Today — publishing fewer state-based stories.

The decision drew a furious response from the journalists union, the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA).

MEAA chief executive Paul Murphy said the union was appalled by the decision.

"The decision indicates that, yet again, Fairfax is opting for savage cuts that will only weaken its business further rather than investing in its products and working to achieve smarter outcomes," Mr Murphy said

"None of the other parts of the Fairfax business are worth anything without the journalism and yet it is the journalism that Fairfax always cuts.

"This will only undermine and damage its mastheads further, alienating its audience and leaving the editorial staff remaining to have to work harder and harder to fill the gaps."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-03/fairfax-media-cut-further-125-editorial-staff-in-restructure/8492738

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:vince:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ora Tzo posted:

Does this mean theres going to be a new human rights commissioner that doesn't do anything for human rights?

Human Rights Commissioner Tony Abbott.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bisexual-teacher-denies-sexual-relationship-with-male-and-female-students-20170503-gvy3ag.html

This man is unbelievably dumb and deserves to have the book thrown at him. Don't treat people like idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGRqnNEOpe0

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/janeenorman/status/859655300424413184

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbott%27s_booby

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Tony Abbott criticises Malcolm Turnbull for failing to appoint him to cabinet

Tony Abbott has criticised Malcolm Turnbull for failing to appoint him to cabinet and made it clear he would keep speaking out as a “strong standard bearer” on conservative issues.

Talking openly about Mr Turnbull’s decision not to include him on the frontbench, Mr Abbott said he could have been made defence minister or offered a similar role “some time ago” but the PM wasn’t “serious about bringing me into his government”.

Mr Abbott stressed he had appointed Mr Turnbull to his shadow cabinet and then into cabinet after he won a Liberal Party leadership spill in 2009 and became prime minister in 2013.

“I never left him on the backbench for an extended period of time,” Mr Abbott told 2GB radio.

“So his way of dealing with things is obviously different from my way of dealing with things.

“I chose to bring the now prime minister into my government at the very beginning and he chose not to. That’s his call, that’s his judgment and I see absolutely no indication that he would ever want to change that.”

In a warning shot to Mr Turnbull, Mr Abbott did not rule out a future challenge for the top job, saying he would serve the party and country.

“But plainly the Prime Minister has come to a certain disposition about these things and, look, he’s entitled to make his call and I am just getting on with life as the best possible local member and from time-to-time someone who speaks out strongly I hope on issues where something needs to be said,” Mr Abbott said.

The Daily Telegraph columnist Miranda Divine has suggested Mr Abbott be appointed to the role of governor-general to ease tensions but the former PM said Sir Peter Cosgrove was doing a “wonderful job” and should have his term extended.

COMMENT: ‘Abbott for GG’ not the answer

Asked if he wanted to be governor-general, Mr Abbott said: “I want to continue to make a contribution to our public life in the parliament, which is exactly what I’m doing. You have an enormous amount of freedom as a backbench member of parliament and I intend to exercise that freedom because there’s a lot that’s right with our country, there’s a lot that’s wrong with our country and as a backbench member of parliament you’re free to call it for what it is, which is what I’m going to keep doing.

“I’ll also do my best from time to time to speak out on important local, national and international issues and to be a standard bearer for Liberal conservative values inside our party because frankly we need ... to have a strong standard bearer for Liberal conservative issues inside our party right now.”

Mr Turnbull has effectively ruled out a return of Mr Abbott to cabinet, noting the importance of renewal and to have more women and younger MPs in the mix.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...77f2579bbe547f8

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
My favourite thing about the Australian is when people let their wives comment on their accounts and they end their comment with "Wife".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status/859876333261774848

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
“How many times can we ­attack our own people? We whack them on super, on pensions, we whack them with income tax increases and now we want to whack our aspirationals who want to send their kids to school,”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Rumours going round that Prince Phillip has died.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Where were you when Prince Phillip died?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is anyone here from Tasmania? I have to vote in the legislative council election this weekend but I haven't been here long and know nothing about state politics.

My options are Labor, Shooters & Fishers and 4 independents.

Which Division?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
#putoutyourracistjokes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
His last words were probably making fun of the Indian doctor in attendance.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

Tee hee member for boner.

I voted in boner.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/energy/governments-created-gas-crisis-says-santos-20170504-gvyoq8.html

Governments created gas crisis says Santos

Oil and gas producer Santos says governments are to blame for east coast gas supply problems.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull recently announced measures allowing the federal government to restrict the export of liquefied natural gas (LNG) to protect domestic supply.

Santos chief executive Kevin Gallagher says a reliable and affordable domestic gas supply is essential for households and businesses, but a successful LNG export industry is also important.

"The current domestic supply issue is not the fault of the LNG projects at Gladstone," Mr Gallagher told shareholders at Santos's annual general meeting in Adelaide.

"It is the result of a complete failure of regulation in the wholesale gas market and actions by state and territory governments to ban or restrict exploration and production."

If Santos gets the go ahead for its Narrabri gas project in north west NSW, among others, there will be no talk of a gas shortage on the east coast, Mr Gallagher said.

Chairman Peter Coates said there is no shortage of gas, but a shortage of uniform government policy and support for the orderly development of supplies.

The export market had underpinned the development of Queensland LNG projects, and without them the gas would still be in the ground and unavailable to the domestic market, Mr Coates said.

He was re-elected as a director at the meeting, and told shareholders he intends to step down as chairman in the coming months.

Meanwhile, Chinese private equity firm Hony Capital and its associates, which include Chinese gas distributor ENN Group, has increased its stake in Santos to 15 per cent by snapping up another 48 million shares.

The shares - equal to 2.3 per cent of its issued capital - were purchased at $3.84 each, a six per cent premium to the stock's market value on Wednesday.

Santos shares were up one cent at $3.64 at the close of trading.

Hony Capital has about $US10 billion of assets under management, according to its website, with investments around the world in sectors including machinery and equipment, pharmaceutical, healthcare and financial services.

The firm claims to be an expert in restructuring state-owned enterprises.

Santos made a $500 million private placement to Hony in November 2015 as part of $3.5 billion in capital raising initiatives.

Hony Capital chairman John Zhao said at the time his group had invested in Santos "because of its strategic position in Australia and synergies with the rapidly growing China energy market".

AAP

Horny Capital

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Duke of Edinburgh is retiring from royal duties this autumn, Buckingham Palace has announced.
The decision was made by Prince Philip himself and is supported by the Queen, a palace spokesman said.
Prince Philip turns 96 next month.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39802636

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He's resigning to spend less time with his family.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Dowry Abuse Is The Domestic Violence Crisis You've Never Heard Of

In 2014 *Kiara arrived in Australia to enter into an arranged marriage with Jai*, an Indian national and Australian citizen.

Her family in India paid some of Kiara's dowry (a dowry is cash or something of monetary value given to a husband by a bride or her family before a marriage) and covered the costs associated with the visa application, all to the tune of around AUD$6,000.

Once Kiara, then 24, arrived in Australia her new husband demanded 5,000,000 rupees (around AUD$100,000) because he said the initial payment was too small.

Kiara refused, knowing her parents had no more to give but said if she could earn an income she could add more to her dowry.

The couple lived in Sydney's west where she got a casual job working as a waitress at a restaurant.

She says her husband thought it was disrespectful that she should "serve other men" so Kiara left the job and applied for a job at a factory.

But then Jai told her she couldn't leave the house and he would bring men home where she would work as a prostitute until she had personally paid for the dowry.

This is when Kiara made contact with the Indian (Subcontinent) Crisis and Support Agency which assists migrant women suffering dowry abuse.

"She was one of the rare ones who had actually held a job in India, so I said 'you're going to this interview at this factory because you need income so you can get out of this'," the agency's project leader Kittu Randhawa told BuzzFeed News.

"At the point that [Jai] brought men home, [Kiara] left."

The agency is helping Kiara establish her economic independence while she waits to find out if she can get residency in Australia.

"While Kiara is working full time, rents her own unit and has purchased a car, her visa has been refused and the department of immigration and border protection do not believe her relationship to be a genuine one," Randhawa said.

She also alleged: "Her husband, on the other hand, has been seen on matrimonial sites posing as a single man looking for a bride to come to Australia with impunity. They are not divorced yet.

"If Kiara returns to India, she will endure shame and disrespect for being a ‘left woman’, as will her family. Any future relationship will be tainted by her being a divorcee. None of these issues will impact her husband."

And Kiara is not alone.

When Jagdish Singh was charged with the murder of his wife Harjit Kaur at their Glenwood home in Sydney's west in March, the agency was flooded with calls, Randhawa said.

"I had 62 phone call inquiries in the 10 days after that incident," she said.

"On a regular week, I'll get about five calls from women needing assistance and dowry will be a factor in about 70% of those cases."

In the last year, the agency had assisted 120 women who had "complex problems involving migration and dowry", she said.

"Five of them have received their residency, six have had to return to India or were duped by their husbands to take a trip and then their visa sponsorship was withdrawn so they couldn't return.

"Most are in some process of trying to stay in Australia via domestic violence provisions in the law."

Dowry is not just an exchange of gifts.

It is a fundamental part of marriage agreements that can be cash, assets or visas and demands for further dowry can continue for years after the marriage, Randhawa said. It is illegal in India.

"When we talk about dowry abuse we're not talking about some Bollywood movie situation where the mother-in-law beats the daughter within an inch of her life unless the father pays up," she said.

"For some young girls who come from poor families, who cannot fund any further education, marriage is considered the only option.

"A chance to escape the poverty trap by marrying a man overseas is a tempting opportunity for the family.

"People are subtly making a lot of money through marriage in this country."

Randhawa believes current immigration processes enable domestic violence and financial abuse to run rampant.

"These women get married and come over here, but because the immigration process for a partner visa takes up to 12 months they are put on a visitor visa with no entitlements, medical stuff or ability to work.

"These women can't even buy their own sanitary pads without telling their husbands."

In violent situations women felt trapped in the situation because they had no financial independence, she said.

"Police will tell them 'if you're in danger, leave' but the reality is they have no source of income so I've had three girls turn to prostitution because they've left the situation and found themselves homeless."

In 2014, the agency sent a discussion paper to attorney-general George Brandis and Labor MP Ed Husic and made little headway, Randhawa said, but the agency has since had support from Western Sydney Greens candidate Chris Winslow and Anti-Slavery Australia director Dr Jennifer Burns who introduced it at a recent parliamentary enquiry.

The agency has also appealed to state politicians like the minister for women, Tanya Davies, to look into addressing the issues of abuse in multicultural marriages in relation to dowry.

*Kiara and Jai's names have been changed to protect their identity.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ginarushton/dowry-abuse-is-the-domestic-violence-crisis-youve-never?utm_term=.lwqOol25b#.vnRPrB9ZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bogan King posted:

Lets just have a quick look at what she has to say about it all

https://twitter.com/emfarrelly/status/860697439023448064

So this is how she normally writes then?

• Locked thread