Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This uni thing - it is weird to me that whenever its hits the media, the literal cost of the degree is all they talk about. Despite the current government's attempts to gut it, HECS is still a pretty great system, and when I think about returning to uni (which I am) the cost consideration has nothing to do with the ultimate HECS repayments, and everything to do with the skinflint Austudy payments of $437 a fortnight (less than Newstart, wtf!), which starts getting reduced as soon as you start working part-time.

I understand that most Australians go to uni in their late teens or early 20s, and live with their parents while they do so. But for people who don't have that option, I don't really understand how you're supposed to get by on a smidgen over $300 a week (if you work part time as well). It puts people off going to university, which is in the long run a negative for everybody in the country, and all to squeeze and extra few pennies out of students while we still keep spewing money into coal subsidies and the Joint Strike Fighter. gently caress this government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't understand what that means

and I'll never learn because I can't afford to go to uni now

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

And how will they know if I accidentally underestimate my income by approximately 100%

It's still a sensible move because even if 95% of expats do that it leaves 5% of goody two shoes declaring their income, which is more money than the $0 they were drawing from expats before.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Okay so I'm watching qanda and I realised why I've long respected Barnaby Joyce, in general, even though I don't like him. I used to think it was because he sticks up for his beliefs, but actually plenty of conservatives do that. It's because he sticks up for his beliefs and explains them in a face-to-face way that most ordinary, reasonably people can parse. And that is so loving easy to do! Yet nobody else in Australian parliament, that I can think of, does that. Even the Greens are slaves to talking points and focus groups.

edit - OK as soon as I typed that he said "people up and down the street were furious about it," re: the Muslim ABC lady's Anzac comment who even I can't remember the name of, let alone the mums and dads up and down the street. Bu anyway, in general, for the most part, more or less, I respect Barnaby Joyce despite very much disliking him.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

He responded to a question about uni rate with LABAH DEBT, I retract my comments

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress he just said "baseload power"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm going to reorganise my respect for Joyce based around "occasionally goes off script." I guess that's all it takes in 2017.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JBP posted:

Yes having a coffee at coffee club is the ultimate in oh lala extravagence that a normal working man would never indulge in.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/owen-smith-normal-coffee

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lol an "oversight" there's no way it wasn't a conscious, committee-designed decision

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

It might have been a conscious decision but I think "the labor party is completely tone deaf" is always a plausible explanation (even though "the labor party panders to racists".is also very plausible).

The Labor Party isn't tone deaf at all. It just holds certain opinions - certain marginal seat working class opinions - to be more valuable than the race-conscious Twitterati who all vote Green anyway. Shorten (or one of his staffers) only made a response on Twitter to butter that particular demographic up again anyway. Nobody else cares if the ad was subtly racist. It's not running on the evening news bulletins, is it?

I absolutely guarantee you federal Labor has a very large team of people with degrees in marketing, PR, psychology etc working on their ads, and I absolutely guarantee you that team made the deliberate and conscious decision to represent "real Australians" as an all-white bloc. That's what plays well in western Sydney and rust belt Queensland. Nobody cares what the inner-city Melbourne Twitterati think, even if the advertising team is largely comprised of inner-city Melbourne Twitterati.

edit - OK the ad is now on Ten News, but it's 23 minutes past the hour and it's only because it went viral and it's wrapped up in their Monday politics package anyway.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 8, 2017

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

Actually the ad aired specifically on rural QLD TV channels

Well exactly. You think some wavering potential One Nation voter in Townsville wants to see darkies in the crowd of "ordinary Australians"? It's loving gross but what fascinates me is that anyone could think (or that Bill Shorten could claim) it was an accident.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anybody else watching this preposterous channel 9 thing on the housing market

CHINESE BUYERS
LACK OF SUPPLY
BURGEONING POPULATION
SMASHED AVO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

They were interviewing one of those Domain-beloved "I'm 25 And I Own 16 Houses" kids and he looked almost exactly like Eric Trump

• Locked thread