Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

It went on TV and the internet today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So ALP is protectionist now making them pretty remarkably close to the KAP no?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeehaw Dick Smith timeline. Aussie made or bust

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

C'mon, it's not like the ad is showing their names and heritage. They could have had a diverse looking range of people (we're a successful multicultural country after all, eh Mal?) but instead went white, white, white

Federal election hangs on QLD. The ALP needs a minor swing there to win government. I think a swing of 2 percent causes a gently caress load of blue seat to tumble down. Next election will have a crazy amount of pandering for Queensland.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

What a Queenslander thinks.txt

Even on polling aggregates QLD is still in the LNPs favour but there's a gently caress load of seat swag to be picked off so the ALP is probably gonna sing the song of the rural protectionist in order to bag a super majority. They are basically singing the Katter tune specifically to pick up such voters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2OSTgyGnv4

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

Lol an "oversight" there's no way it wasn't a conscious, committee-designed decision

*scrunting Queensland noises*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We are in the timeline where Peter Hayden is the profile for the average swing voter via internal ALP market research.

Where is your God now?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav was right once again :agesilaus:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Now someone do a lovely book cover of bill Shorten animorphing into bob katter.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Actually the ad aired specifically on rural QLD TV channels

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yes, It was most likely an ad designed to speak with the people of Ipswich. Though I doubt it would swing anyone in Katterstan up north. Polling shows ONP vote weakening so ALP want to get a message in first before the LNP and turn a bunch of permablue seats red.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Caption: The people of Ipswich look up to the sky after hearing a booming working class voice mention 457 visas.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Really ripens those tomatoes.
Really activates my almonds
Really makes you think about overthrowing the capitalist system

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Good

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Impressive.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

time to form Goon Caucus!

So what snag Bifauxnen and inspire me hard enough to renew my membership and we can go to the on together?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

When asked why comedy forum nerds were communists, journalists were questioned by security personnel about stairs

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

Sir, are you having a stroke?

The moon

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Please stop posting Laurie Oakes

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder what friendlyjordies is up to...

Oh another shilling meltdown nice.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What if I'm angry... at both?

EvilElmo/FriendlyJordies posted:

Yeah but the point is no one is dying because of this ad, it's trending on facebook and there is a media storm. Many are dying because of this privatisation and media is comparatively silent. It's not either or... but I don't think the Labor party are enemies of diversity look at their politicians compare to all other parties, the media will jump on anything to attack Labor, whilst ignoring far more serious issues

He also uses this image multiple times

SEE THERE IS AN ASIAN WOMAN,GNOME CHOPSKI WAZ RIIIGHT

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He is also on the ALP payroll and gives speeches for the NSW Young Labor frequently.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Friendlyjordies is a lot less successful when you realise his Patreon is payrolled by Young ALP Rightwing jerks who also mod his facebook page and block Greens supporters :v:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If I'm reading this right, Newstart is renamed to jobseekers allowance and is subject to drug testing and has the mandatory fortnightly activities increased to 50 hours a fortnight. If drug test is positive or failure to show up to appointments happens then the welfare payment becomes managed by the JSA which has the power to dictate what you can and cannot spend it on.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

What the actual?

We know by now how great the ethics and decision making practices of these places are right?

Multiple articles explain that the JSAs will be given the power to withhold your payments and drip feed it to you if you insist on spending it on specific purposes eg. Food but not alcohol.

This budget is making the JSAs into banks with loans.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Let me check facebook comments

retire the older workers early and force the younger once to do the job if refuse 3 jobs put them on the street as they just dont want to work i know people who never worked they say if they get a job they lose there government housing home or have to pay full rent then have to pay there child payments as well thats the reason they stay on the dole .time to play hard ball with these types of people

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If you can't get a job after 12 months, you're under 35, you get enlisted into the army. I bet we would see a lot trying to get a job then.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jingle bells
Young people smell
Mining laid an egg

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

You'd send a better message by just getting your friends together and all taking dumps into the workings of the printing press.

I think that how they print it already?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The army only takes those capable of doing the job. You wouldn't want a bludger defending our country! (in response to a person saying dole recipients should be forced into the army)

YOU WOULDN'T TRUST A BLUDGER WITH YOUR LIFE

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ora Tzo posted:

Whens the next poll?

Essential Research: 54-46 to Labor

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also lol, if the government drug tested the pension they'd find a bunch of old liberal voters on opioids.

But no they will hit Youth Allowance and Newstart because the kids are injecting weed into their assholes and eating baby meat.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It turns out Turnbull is really quite good at tidying up old messes

Annabel Crabb, ABC News

You can tell a lot about a budget by looking at who it punishes. And basically, this budget targets anyone who's ever appeared on A Current Affair accompanied by a low, menacing soundtrack.

Banks! Big, greedy, bullying, farmer-persecuting banks. They'll be shaken down for $6 billion, to be poured directly — to the jeers and catcalls from a grateful bank-account-having public — into the parched well of Treasurer Scott Morrison's general revenue.

Foreigners! This budget will fine employers who hire foreigners, and pour the money into a giant $1.2 billion fund, which will train decent Australians, like the ones in the Bill Shorten ads, in useful new skills.

"We must skill more Australians to secure jobs!" declared Mr Morrison.

And it turns out foreign workers are going to finance Mr Morrison's skilling spree.

They will be pinged $5,000 if they buy an Australian house and fail to put someone in it (a measure that, it is understood, will be policed by a voluntary army of cheesed-off neighbours) and prohibited from buying more than half the units in any development.

A handful of giant foreign companies, the Treasurer shyly revealed, will be contributing $4 billion in tax revenue this financial year thanks to the "Google tax" he announced last year.

Also, we will be cutting our foreign aid budget by another $300 million, in order to beef up domestic security. Take that, third world!

Budget especially tough on drunk, stoned dole bludgers

Dole bludgers! Always a popular target, this category has been whittled by Mr Morrison's busy scalpel down to a narrow point of pure reprehensibility — this budget, he explained, would be especially tough on dole bludgers who are drunk and stoned.

"We will no longer accept, as an excuse from repeat offenders, that the reason they could not meet their mutual obligation requirements was because they were drunk or drug-affected," he explained.

Such non-excuse-havers, from now on, will lose half their fortnight's dole at the first offence, all of it at the second, and a month's suspension for the third.

(This measure, it must be said, feels vaguely un-Australian. After all, Tony Abbott once got so liquored-up he slept through several parliamentary votes on the Global Financial Crisis stimulus package, and we didn't dock his benefits — we made him prime minister!)

Another significant target of this budget? Bill Shorten, who will find it difficult to construct a spirited denunciation of a document — large tracts of which could pretty much have been written, at various points in the past five years, by the Labor Party.

As the Treasurer, inside the budget lockup, moved into his fifth sonorous minute of explaining how there is good debt and there is bad debt, one could almost hear Wayne Swan's intellectual property lawyers drafting the breach of copyright notification.

Roads! Nationalising the Snowy! Aussie jobs first! Bash the banks! Fully funding the National Disability Insurance Scheme! A needs-based schools funding model! If you closed your eyes, you could have been in the Caucus room.

The political effrontery of this budget, it seems, knows no bounds.

Its gout of nation-building even extends to funding the second Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek — a project that was embarked upon three decades ago by Bob Hawke.

Mr Shorten can give a Gonski all he likes, it seems. It's when Malcolm Turnbull takes a Gonski that the game changes.

Non-ideological budget pursues Labor and Coalition schemes

"This is not a budget for ideologues; this is a budget for Australians who want the Government to do its job," Mr Morrison said in his press conference.

And behind the screech of the headlines, this is indeed a remarkably non-ideological document.

It pursues Labor schemes as well as Coalition ones.

It dumps $17 billion worth of measures from the 2014 budget — Mr Abbott's first — that had been hanging around so long they smelled weird.

It gives money back to the Australia Council and to community legal centres which were gutted in 2014.

It restores concession cards for pensioners and the indexation of Medicare rebates.

It cracks into the ancient Gordian knot of media ownership reforms by abolishing the licence fee for free-to-air broadcasters.

It even tidies up the age-old, ridiculous saga of the Mersey Hospital in Tasmania, which Mr Abbott as health minister bought for $1 in 2007, to demonstrate his new model of federal hospital management.

Ten years later, in this budget, Mr Morrison pays the Tasmanians $730 million to take the hospital back.

Life is strange isn't it?

When Mr Turnbull became Prime Minister, it was fancied he'd be an activist, a visionary — a prime minister who would wield a mighty sword and ride into battle.

It turns out what he's really quite good at is tidying up old messes.

He's a fixer, who snaps on the Marigolds and wades into the reeking, grime-encrusted political imbroglios of the past — even those on his own side — with an industrial-strength rubbish bag and a smile on his face.

He'll be punished for it internally, no doubt, but there are worse things to be.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Breaking news

It appears a protester has doused themselves in a flammable substance outside Parliament House before being attended to by emergency services. More on that as it comes to hand.

Oh dear.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Turn on ABC
ANTHONY ALBANESE LEADERSHIP SPECULATION
Turn off ABC

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

hooman posted:

I wonder how Labor would be treated if they had a tax and spend bud..

This cartoon but unironically needs to happen

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

As part of the Turnbull government’s welfare reforms, the four week wait for welfare has been scrapped, and the Newstart Allowance will be streamlined with six other payments into a new “JobSeeker Payment”.

A demerit points system, similar to driving demerits, will also be introduced for around 1.2 million unemployed people, and will save the government $632 million over five years from 2016.

Jobseekers will start on zero demerits on the “Personal Responsibility Phase”, and accrue demerit points if they miss meetings or interviews without a reasonable excuse.

Failing to start a job plan, look for work, attend an appointment or participate in Work for the Dole will earn you one demerit point.

If you don’t turn up for a job interview, you’ll be hit with three demerit points.

If you get four demerit points in six months you’ll enter a three strike “Intensive Compliance Phase” and will:

- lose 50% of fortnightly payments for the first strike;

- lose 100% of fortnightly payments for the second strike;

- have payments cancelled for four weeks for a third strike.

At any point, if you get offered a job and don’t accept it, your welfare payments will be cancelled for four weeks.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

any word yet on how you pay rent or bills once they cut your payments?

You have to go to the JSA and ask for a certain percent back.

Or go on the street fuckface

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

There ain't no drugs for the bludgers
Illegal to grow trees
I got HECS to pay, I got mouth to feed
There ain't nothing in this world for free
I know I can't slow down
I can't hold back though you know I wish I could
There ain't no drugs for the bludgers
Until we close our eyes for good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's a very Labor budget! So maybe it's safe to vote Liberal now!

Some jedi mind tricks in these opinion pieces I swear.

• Locked thread