Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

It's almost as if ALP policy is 'checks notes'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

man i'm getting a lot of targeted ads on facebook from GetUp about Ross Vasta lately. Would have been nice to have had this add blitz when I was, you know, trying to take his seat in parliament.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Mark Latham posted:

DECISION TO JOIN LIBERAL DEMOCRATS
Recently I attended the Liberty Conference in Sydney, a wonderful forum supporting freedom of speech and opposing PC, social engineering and cultural Marxism. Debate and ideas flourished, unlike today's Labor Party, which has barred me from speaking at membership events in Western Sydney (via Sussex Street Stalinist Rose Jackson). I support 80-90 percent of the Liberal Democrats platform, pretty good for someone with strong views formed over a long period of time. Plus, as a party of freedom, the Liberal Democrats allow room for dissent and diversity of opinion (Shorten Labor is only interested in diversity of skin colour, gender and sexuality - Safe Schools BS).
So I have joined up and want to play a role in fighting for our national values, based on personal freedom and responsibility.
I will be on The Bolt Report tonight at 7pm talking about this decision, and the wrongness of Dastyari/Shorten Labor. I wouldn't normally be on that channel but Andrew Bolt has been a great champion of freedom of speech, including mine. We trust you, THE PEOPLE, to listen to various views and make up your own mind about political issues!! It's called DEMOCRACY!!

Sir, this is a McDonalds drive-through.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

starkebn posted:

I also thought ignorance of the law was no excuse

mens rea or the guilty mind only applies to your intention to commit the offense, not knowledge that it is an offense. also it doesn't apply to strict liability offenses, where it doesn't matter what your state of mind was.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

in old common law stuff and some of the time in criminal codes a criminal act has two distinct parts, the act and the intention. you have to both do the thing and intend to do it for it to be criminal. you don't have to know you're committing a crime, you just have to know what you're doing. ignorance of the law remains (mostly) no excuse.

some offenses - often but not always serious crimes - fall into a category of 'strict liability'. it doesn't matter what your intention was, so long as you carried out the act.

this comic explains it in the american context, but it's probably close enough: http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=1008

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 8, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

actually the AFP just declined to investigate because they are poo poo cowards

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Written by a libertarian?

no.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

while the comic may not be written with a sense of class consciousness, the author is clearly in favor of states and laws. not a libertarian.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

probably? the comic gives a useful laymans terms explanation of legal matters, that's the only basis on which I suggest it. if you have a more ideologically sound option I'm all ears.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

starkebn posted:

Qld was trying to have a very similar conversation, about the power of the party to bind elected representatives, at the State Council meeting last weekend. It wasn't pretty.

were you at state council yesterday? or do you just read the minutes?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

fuuuuck, so am I!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

time to form Goon Caucus!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

dare you enter my magical realm?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

in qld we solve the problem of rogue mps by having no mps :smug:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anidav posted:

Also someone told me that an LNP member in QLD is going to stand down soon due to health issues causing a by election. However if Labor wins that seat then that brings parliament to 70-70 meaning there is a chance of an early election.

Did they say who? Because I've heard similar rumours and it would be interesting if they are about the same person.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anidav posted:

My source reckons the member for Bonner has cancer but the media won't spill the beans cause they're all waiting on him to announce retirement.

Yeah, I heard the same. Great, guess I better get the branch warmed up for the by-election.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anidav posted:

But the people I talk to reckon Malcolm would just hold another election because Bonner has a high chance of going ALP and the Coalition doesn't want to risk a vote of no confidence.

Which is why this is an election budget

Also plausible. Bonner could have gone ALP in 2016 but they pulled support from their candidate in the last couple of weeks. Pre-selection fights between Labor Left and Right candidates have reportedly been pretty brutal.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

asked my JSA if they want me to start bringing in my piss, for some reason they didn't seem keen. bunch of leaners you ask me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

or Lytton!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

ok maybe not, but I can dream

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

kinda feels like our little tax office scandal is weak compared to the potentially treasonous acts of the entire top echelon of the US executive.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

get back to me when turnbull is found passing data from pine gap to kim jong un

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey thread. I 100% checked out of Australian politics/news 3 months ago. Feels great.

Is human arrowroot biscuit Bill Shorten still labor leader by default?

yeah

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

no come back, we've got some great greens candidates!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

is that a deliberate reference to 'afghan girl' because it loving looks like it

edit:

nah my brain is just hosed i guess

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Imagine growing up in 1980s QLD and wanting to be a cop.

cops in 1980s queensland were an amazing career choice - you could literally get away with murder and make loads of money on the side so long as you kept your mouth shut at the right times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

oh but chuck an 'n' on the end and it's ok, huh?

• Locked thread