Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Stahp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Devine is talking up Abbott for governor general in the toiletgraph today.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

New 🐕

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Looks like some people aren't happy with the number of people being laid off at Fairfax

https://twitter.com/srpeatling/status/859625561282535424

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndieHamblin/status/859617970171121664

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Loving the priorities.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Outgoing human rights commissioner Gillian Triggs wins freedom of speech award :frogsiren:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

So the Fairfax discussion has taken a strange turn.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Mining giant Adani faces a possible multi-million-dollar fine after sediment water eight times above authorised levels was discharged from the Abbot Point coal terminal last month, the ABC can reveal.

How the making GBS threads gently caress does anything involving the names Adani or Abbott even exist. Truly the darkest timeline.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

OK so maybe the power of boobies is enough to negate the shite of Abbott.

----------------------------

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/859696930863030272

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/859704636504031233

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Life comes at you fast.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/laurenwaldhuter/status/859582472761204736

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Nah, it's the ABC hit jobs that are just flat out bonkers

https://twitter.com/australian/status/859605612317093888

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/859889467632386048

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

“How many times can we ­attack our own people? We whack them on super, on pensions, we whack them with income tax increases and now we want to whack our aspirationals who want to send their kids to school,”

------------------

Anidav and his nutmilk are destroying Australia. The dairy industry claim that calling it soy MILK is too confusing for people who may actually want cows milk

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Can't wait till they attack herpetologists for milking snakes.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/OfficialJLD/status/859917432432992256

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Turns out that dude refused entry to Canada so he could go back to the USA was refused because he was trying to commit visa fraud [NYT]. Canada refused him entry because if the USA caught wind of what he was trying to do he would have been stranded in Canada and they didn't want to deal with it.

Turns out when that 'For some reason the Canadians kept them until 1:30 a.m. and then they refused them entry' is expanded out to include the 'reason' part it starts looking very different from what they're trying to portray in the story here.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

hooman posted:

"Idiot Australian tries to rort foreign system and fails"
50% of the truth behind headlines in this country.

Have one from the other 50%

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Looks like Melbourne is going to go full Arab Springs soon

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

It would be much better if parking meters destroyed Brisbane.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/859964188726145024

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

It was paid parking in upper middle class suburbs of the Arab Springs that set everything off.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

Is calling the inner west upper middle class a new meme?

I just used words that fit the zeitgeist of the sort to get militant over parking meters.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/859973030063226880

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Looks like it may just have been Prince Philip getting caught speeding.

https://twitter.com/nswpolice/status/859980263798956033

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/859976862948245504

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

hooman posted:

Is there anything the libs can do without Tones coming in and wrecking up the joint?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Absolutely digging the fact that Trump has blown off Towelcum again

The ABC posted:

US President Donald Trump has delayed his meeting with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull in New York City by several hours.

Mr Trump postponed the meeting to remain in Washington while a bill to replace Obamacare passed the House of Representatives.

He then held a lengthy celebratory press conference at the White House before boarding Air Force One and flying to New York.

The President was due to meet Mr Turnbull at a Manhattan hotel but instead they are now scheduled to hold a shorter, 30-minute meeting onboard the USS Intrepid, a museum on the Hudson River.

"He's got some other things he wants to take care of before he leaves town, and so it's nothing more than that," deputy White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said.

"I don't want to get ahead of their visit, but I think that you can expect a strengthening out of an already strong ally, and furthered continued great relationship that we have with them."

Mr Turnbull and Mr Trump are also due to speak at a gala dinner commemorating the 75th anniversary of the battle of the Coral Sea at the museum.

It will be the first time the pair have met since a testy phone call earlier this year over a refugee deal between the two nations struck by the Turnbull Government and the Obama administration.

Earlier in the day Mr Turnbull met with the Commander of the US Pacific Command Harry Harris for talks about North Korea's nuclear missile program and other security issues.

The Prime Minister also toured the NYPD Counter-Terrorism Joint Operations Centre in downtown Manhattan.

The passage of the bill to repeal Obamacare is a big win for Mr Trump and congressional Republicans, although it still faces a tough fight in the Senate.

During the White House press conference Mr Trump invited those who helped it pass to speak at the podium.

"We're going to let some of the other folks just come up and say whatever you want," he said to the scores of Republican members of Congress standing behind him in the Rose Garden.

"We want to brag about the plan," he said.

Mr Trump has arrived in New York and was due to meet Mr Turnbull at 7:15pm local time (9:15am AEST).

The original meeting was scheduled for 4:20pm.

Former ambassador to the US Kim Beazley said the delay could work in Australia's favour.

Mr Beazley said the distance between New York and Washington could be logistically difficult and the healthcare bill was a "reasonably good" excuse.

He also said it could make the President much warmer during the meeting.

"I think it probably puts Trump somewhat on the back foot in dealing with Turnbull, so it may make him a much more amenable dialogue partner when he finally turns up," he said.

It is Mr Trump's first trip back to his home city since taking office more than three months ago.

Turns out the party for possibly maybe destroying the ACA is more important than meeting Cuckballs. Maybe we should have suggested a Trump tower opening up in Sydney.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/KarenMMiddleton/status/860280239875702784

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/860329917245870080

:munch:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's something to hammer him with next election. And if enough sources call for Dutton to resign, that tends to stick around in the public memory.

It's mostly the keeping it Fresh In Our Memories™ that this is good for. He won't suffer directly for it now but it's a cannon to fire at him come election time. This hinges greatly on the ALP not being sacks of poo poo though so it really means nothing.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

From the SMH someone dumped elsewhere, not linking to them while they strike posted:

Independent Northern Territory politician Gerry Wood has blamed abortions for the loss of millions of dollars in GST revenue due to glacial population growth.

The Territory's GST share has been slashed by $269 million next financial year, which the Labor government projects will blow out to $2 billion over four years.

Now that is a spicy take.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Guardian posted:

Australia’s grand mufti has won a defamation case over News Corp articles depicting him as an “unwise” monkey and asserting he had failed to condemn the 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris. News Corp consented to the judgment as part of a confidential settlement.

Sydney’s Daily Telegraph newspaper published two stories highly critical of the response of the grand mufti, Dr Ibrahim Abu Mohamed, to the co-ordinated terrorist attacks that killed 130 people in November 2015.

One depicted him as three “unwise” monkeys, covering his ears, eyes and mouth, next to the words “Sees no problems, hears no concerns, speaks no English”.

The second article was headlined: “Even Hamas condemn the Paris attacks so why won’t Australia’s Grand Mufti Ibrahim Abu Mohammed?”.

Analysis Five things Australia's grand mufti may or may not have said about the Paris attacks
Some in the media have decried the response of Ibrahim Abu Mohamed to the Paris attacks. Here is what he said, what he didn’t say and what they said that meant
Read more
Mohamed, Australia’s most senior Sunni scholar, sued News Corp for defamation early last year, and verdicts were entered by agreement with News Corp in his favour in the NSW supreme court on Friday. The terms of the settlement were confidential.

Mohamed had alleged the articles wrongly implied he had failed to condemn the terrorist attacks and shifted blame away from the perpetrators.

He had issued a statement days before the defamatory articles, which mourned the loss of innocent lives in Paris and expressed his deepest condolences to families and friends of the victims.

The statement canvassed “causative factors” of terrorism, including racism, Islamophobia, curtailing freedoms, foreign policies and military intervention.

Mohamed had earlier posted a Facebook statement about the Paris attacks and a bombing in Beirut, which said: “There are no words to truly describe the devastation of these acts but we will continue in solidarity and pray for peace.”

He had previously condemned all forms of terrorism, including on Facebook, in interviews with the ABC and in other formal statements.

His statement of claim alleged he had been brought into hatred, ridicule and contempt, and was gravely injured in his character and reputation.

News Corp had previously defended the claim, arguing that the imputations of the articles were substantially true. It also argued that some of the defamatory imputations were an expression of honest opinion.

But when the matter returned to the NSW supreme court on Friday morning, Justice Lucy McCallum was told the matter had been settled.

The Australian National Imams Council released a statement welcoming the outcome.

“The grand mufti ... holds the highest religious post for an Islamic scholar in Australia. He has dedicated his life to the pursuit of knowledge, justice, and peace, and is proud to continue to represent the religious views of the vast majority of Australian Muslims,” the statement said.

“It is hoped that the outcome of the proceedings is the first step towards improved harmony between Australian Muslims and the media in the future,” the statement said.

The mufti, who was in court on Friday, declined to comment further.

News Corp has been contacted for comment.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/Mitch_Hell/status/860310393591185408

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/860314187096109056

:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Horseshoe theory posted:

Rupes is the real PM, after all.

Then we have a solid relationship with the USA after all

• Locked thread