Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Glad to know that doing deals with Barnaby Joyce is what will lead us to economic ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Is anyone here from Tasmania? I have to vote in the legislative council election this weekend but I haven't been here long and know nothing about state politics.

My options are Labor, Shooters & Fishers and 4 independents.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Rumney

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

put both hands in posted:

Vote for the Labor person. I think she's supposed to be okay.

The legislative council here is very conservative. The current member for rumney, Tony Mulder, recently came out with some victim blaming poo poo in regards to domestic violence

Thanks

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Cartoon posted:

The sheer amount of outrage coming out of the banks is boggling. Increasing their taxes is an 'assault' and 'unwarranted'. Then the petulant toddler kicks in and they scream that they are going to pass it all on to customers anyway so Nayh Nayh Nayh. I expect a rape comparison from one of them by COB.

One article I read said the levy would hit the big 4 banks for $300 to $400 million each. As publicly listed companies they have a legal duty to act in the best interests of their shareholders and taking a hit that big to their profitability is never going to do that. It was always inevitable that this levy would be passed onto consumers one way or other. ScoMo is kidding himself that he can stop that from happening.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

More "entitled young people" - from a young person this time

quote:

A YOUNG rich lister who made his fortune off the back of Australia’s capital city property boom says his generation needs to stop buying $4 coffees and travelling if they want to own a home.

Developer Tim Gurner, 35, is worth nearly half a billion dollars but has delivered a brutal smackdown to some would-be first home buyers struggling to get a toehold in the market.

“When I was buying my first home, I wasn’t buying smashed avocado for 19 bucks and four coffees at $4 each,” he told 60 Minutes in a segment exploring Australia’s housing affordability crisis.

“You have to start to get realistic about your expectations. There is no question we are at a point now where the expectations of younger people are very, very high.

However, they buried the lede

quote:

He started out by taking over a lease on a suburban gym as a 19-year-old, using $34,000 given to him by his grandfather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Cartoon posted:

I have been waiting for this particular spin to be applied. It is a pathetic attempt to wedge refugee advocates on the issue of cost. It is doomed to failure as even this but also has the "unintended" consequence of forcing a small group of desperate people into crime or the black economy. :bravo:

Not only that, but the government spends billions on off-shore processing. If they're really so concerned about saving money, then they could do in-community processing and save a fortune. Hypocrites.

• Locked thread