Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

DancingShade posted:

You know those obvious "buy property at the height of the bubble" home investment propaganda pieces?

ABC is getting in on the act http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/brickx-startup-selling-shares-in-sydney-melbourne-properties/8487790

It reads more like an advertorial for a startup.

Again, I love how apparently the solution for new home buyers not being able to afford to buy a home is buying tiny shares in properties they don't get to live in. This is totally helping, guys!

Bonus points for the photo of the lady who owns 20 bricks looking at a kitchen like she's just dropped in from another galaxy and it's a new and amazing thing to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anidav posted:

Oh my God what is the ABC doing shilling BrickX?

You're better off putting it in crypto Lmao.

You'd be better off setting it on fire. At least it would be warm (and possibly carcinogenic).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It's disruptive and innovative

fakeedit: poo poo Bogan King already said that

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Speaking of LNP bipartisanship...

quote:

Brisbane City Council has retracted a proposed local law after opposition councillors slammed it as "botched".

On Tuesday changes to the Advertising Amending Subordinate Local Law 2017 – which governs advertising signs, including election signage – were discussed at the council chambers.

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said the current local laws were out of date and that new guidelines had been trialled at recent elections and he was moving to formalise them.

Opposition leader Peter Cumming said the local law change was botched and would mean candidates for the coming state election would be locked out of campaigning until five weeks before the polling date.

"These changes to the Advertisements Local Law appear to enshrine one set of rules for elected representatives and one set of rules for candidates," he said.

"The new rules would mean an elected representative could set up an information stall every week, but their opponent would not be able to campaign until five weeks before the election.

"In effect, the administration is seeking to stifle democracy in Brisbane City."

The opposition moved an amendment to include "a candidate for election" to be permitted to have a pop-up information booth, along with sitting members for federal state or local government, but this was not supported.

A later motion to withdraw the document from debate was supported by a majority of Brisbane councillors, a move that the opposition claimed was an admission of error.

This approval of withdrawal of the local law prompted opposition councillor Shayne Sutton to move an urgency motion calling for the LNP administration to return to the pre-Campbell Newman practice of forming a bi-partisan committee to review local law changes.

"Prior to Campbell Newman becoming mayor, it was standard practice in Brisbane City Council to engage councillors from the administration and the opposition when laws were being drafted," she said.

"What we have seen today is a sloppy local law that creates one set of rules for incumbent representatives and seeks to lock out candidates from campaigning for election."

The withdrawn laws will be reviewed and presented to the council chambers for discussion at a later date.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Every time I've tried soy milk it's tasted/smelt like paint to me so idk I still haven't found a milk-alternative yet :shrug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/australian/status/860930771418263552

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That was my favourite part too

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

*checks notes *

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Perfect end to a perfect night.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I had to just silence my footy mates' chat group since they're all chattering about how awesome the budget is and how great Adani is and Jesus I want to murder them all.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

In a previous job I got to do onsite tech support at her house and I can honestly say she is a crazy person.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, it takes a lot of loving energy to write 1 Greens 2 Labor. It's a whole extra digit every few years, bloody draining on the wrist.

You're right

gently caress writing that 2

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

To be fair, they were playing the Warriors, so the Panthers always had that game in the bag.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Gold, as in the colour of piss?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Lid posted:

A 15-year-old former private schoolboy accused of raping an intoxicated teenage girl at a party has been allowed to travel overseas at taxpayer expense to visit his parents in the school holidays.

The youth, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is charged with aggravated sexual assault on the girl at Bellevue Hill on March 4.

Another 15-year-old is charged with making and distributing footage of the attack.

Teachers at Cranbrook reportedly called police after learning mobile phone footage of the attack had been shared among dozens of teenagers via a private Facebook messenger group.

Court documents revealed that the girl had no idea she had been assaulted.

"The victim was intoxicated by alcohol and was not aware of the offence until she was informed by other people by text message the following day," police allege.

On Thursday Bidura Children's Court heard the boy's father has a high-ranking position with an Australian government department and is posted overseas. That country does not have a bilateral extradition treaty with Australia.

The court also heard the father's employer "heavily subsidised" the youth's tuition and boarding fees at Cranbrook.

And the government would cover the airfares for the youth to fly to his parents' country of residence for a visit under "reunion" provisions.

Burn this loving system to the ground.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

hooman posted:

That's enough levee levy levity.

Leave it alone

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Lid posted:

Franklin told Fairfax Media that he stood by the point he was seeking to illustrate in the essay, which he said he had first posted in draft form and updated progressively over the evening.

"The whole piece was an attack on terrorism. It is absurd to suggest that in the third-last paragraph I would advocate a terrorist act."

He said he was making a rhetorical point about the absurdity of a suggestion by one of the panelists on Monday night's program that accidents involving refrigerators kill more people than terrorism, and what he saw as the ongoing refusal of ABC commentators to acknowledge the true causes of terrorism.

"Our lives and the way we live are being constricted, we live in fear and the causes are being obfuscated," he said.

quote:

Asked to comment, Quadrant editor and prominent historian Keith Windschuttle, a former ABC board member, told Fairfax Media, "You're talking bullshit, don't call back."

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm sure someone will be leaking some sort of data about this "Nick" soon so he knows what happens to people who reveal LNP problems.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Wouldn't know, it doesn't go anywhere so there's no point catching it.

I miss Sydney.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

It goes plenty of places, actually.

Nowhere worth going.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

To be fair, I'm being unfair. It goes plenty of places, but without connecting anywhere useful in any decent way. I've worked three places in totally different areas so far up here and whilst all three had stops and routes quite close, they took well toward two hours to travel the distance that would take twenty minutes at most by car. Having come from a city with public transport that was actually feasible to use to travel to work (should one work outside the city centre) it's galling and a sad joke.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I live 13 km from the centre of the city with a direct main road that takes me there. How the gently caress does a real city have it take me 45+ minutes to get there by one bus? This is in the middle of the day with no traffic; I could drive there in 15.

(The real answer is Brisbane is just a giant country town).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

A fair chunk of my frustration could be resolved by letting buses use the gateway.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

They can, the 599/598 route uses it. However, one of the major barriers in reforming the bus network in Brisbane is Brisbane City Council, who continually refuse to work with Translink. Largely this is because BCC get a certain amount per kilometre of route, but it's also down to bad blood between them and Newman doing some shady poo poo when he was Premier that caused this whole shitshow to get worse.

You're right ; although sadly it takes 35 minutes to do the trip I need it to and leaves once an hour (at best). That's plus getting there (which by car is twenty to twenty five minutes at absolute best, plus parking).

It also gets in at extremely useless times that would waste another twenty five minutes.

I'm the first person to use public transport normally and did so I'm Sydney to go to school and work for over twenty years. The fact I don't get to do here is one of the most frustrating parts of living here that I can think of. I'm more than happy to take 150% of driving for catching the bus, but this government has made it completely useless.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

no come back, we've got some great greens candidates!

so you say

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My grandfather was quite involved in getting this project off the ground in the beginning and this is deeply upsetting. He'd be rolling in his grave right now. I don't normally get emotional about this sort of stupidity but it's hit a raw nerve.

Hell, there's a reason I have my christening certificate from the wayside chapel of the cross, and it's not that it was a convenient location for the family to get to.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It doesn't matter to me if this is just the most obvious tip of the iceberg of charities that will be hosed up by this government and that it might survive by itself on its name and memories. Life Education has done incredible work for decades and I am very saddened by it being quietly shafted like this; my grandfather poured all the money from the eight editions of his seminal work (and a shitload of his time and effort) into starting and running the caravans and I refuse to let them go quietly. If anyone hears of anything that will help with this please let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Centrelink, two weeks ago: We fixed that issue, also we noticed you always get paid the same amount, we can set it so that it automatically reports for you.
Me: Oh, okay sure.

Centrelink, today: Your Newstart is cancelled because you didn't report.

Ohhhh my gooooooood :smithicide:

First mistake: trusting anything Centrelink ever says.

• Locked thread