Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

Yes, but if they attack the LNP on refugees, they will upset the Howard battlers and swing voters. *beep boop* the best decision is to implicitly endorse it so you'll keep the support from the base and get the xenophobe/bigot vote. Nothing bad will come from this.

I feel this is still a free kick for the ALP, because there's a pretty massive delta between "Stop the boats" and "actually torturing refugees"- not just people seeking asylum, but people who have been granted genuine refugee status. It's not a distinction that is so complicated that most 'middle Australians' wouldn't understand it, if it were presented to them correctly. The distinction between stopping "queue jumpers" as the Stop the Boats crowd put it, and knowingly, willingly and overtly punishing people who have been deemed to be genuine refugees is pretty massive.

We knew they were doing it, but it was always a case of someone's word VS the governments, and they've always been able to hide behind manufactured opsec bullshit - this is undeniable proof that they've been behaving in an openly malicious manner towards these people.

I think suggesting that the bulk of the much desired swing vote (i.e. people who could bring themselves to vote for the LNP, but might not) can't appreciate that distinction is disingenuous and cynical, even for this crowd.

(incidentally, is probably going to give Julian Burnside's ICC case a fuckload of ammo, even if it doesn't achieve much other than further our international embarrassment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well my NBN connection went off without a hitch.

95/35 on sync ratios, but I doubt I'll ever pull much more than 60 down the pipe given the congestion in the area. Now I've just gotta decide if it's worth saving 20-30 a month by switching to an ISP that does a 50/20 plan or not.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Stoca Zola posted:

Who did you go with?

I stayed with iinet just to see what my line could do before I decided to move. It's overpriced, I can't top 50mb/sec and they don't offer a 50mbit plan, just the 100/40 for $99. While the prov job went fairly smoothly, apparently that's not the norm.

I'm gonna look at aussibroadband and myrepublic and skymesh and a few others now I know I have a good line and I'm on the network.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Everything is bad compared to actual fibre.

That's kinda why nerds are mad at Malcolm.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Re: Twiggy's angle:

It's pretty clear by the fact that he's organised a massive press gala event around the announcement that it has about as much to do as philanthropy as it does to do with being a gigantic loving narcissist. If it were just about Good Guy Twiggy Doing Good Thing, he'd just quietly endow the money and move on - but instead he's seemingly going out of his way to make it into a huge spectacle.

Unless he uses the event to publicly shame the Murdochs, Packers, Stokes, Rhinehart and etc. for not donating half a billion dollars of money they couldn't hope to spend in their lifetimes, then it's purely self-serving wankery.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Mfw this is Ashby's plan to lock up Pauline in jail again and become the new leader of One Nation in a epic Coup d'état

Anyone else feel that it's alarming that there's an extreme right-wing party that is described internally as a "brutal dictatorship", and yet they have seats in several levels of government

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So Federal Labor, in the spirit of giving away free kicks, once again voted in lockstep with the Liberals against a Federal ICAC.

It's almost as if they don't want to see the Liberal party brought low by their own greed or summin'

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I really don't get why McGowan launch one here in WA - Labor have been in Opposition for so long it'd surely exclusively take out the libs, giving Labor a good 8 years to govern without having to dodge stupid identity bullshit and populist bullshit from the libs.

Unless they're filthy too oh right it's that.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
"They came under cover of darkness... But we were all in a 4 hour stand up meeting that someone erroneously referred to as a 'scrum', and were totally unprepared.."

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

:golfclap: It is a bit like that today, the scrambling of the MSM to provide Australian angles is so desperate they're even interviewing Julie Bishop stumbling over the same tired phrases again.

Maybe that's what Malcolm meant by 'not agile enough'.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Laserface posted:

I have no idea. it was a call from a branch I have never been to, but I do bank with the bank in question.

I hadnt made any enquiries before that with my bank, just checking rates online, but I figured if they were calling me I would hear them out and managed to get a decent rate out of it so signed my life away.

*Shuffles off to AI to see what you bought*

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Ugh do we really have to ride out 2 more years of bumbling rear end in a top hat government? Can't some marginal seatwarmer just retire/kick it already and trigger the next DD, solving several problems at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Note also the author(s) tripping over their dicks to point out the ages of the No advocates, while the supposed Adani shills remain ageless.

Because something something look at them latte sipping University poofs Mr speaker

• Locked thread