Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Drug charges are all bullshit and I blame the American government. But it always seems to be good-looking women who get the front pages long term. There've been a few people of East-Asian appearances with East-Asian names who got busted in places like Vietnam and you only hear of them once and never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Well, this is the most gut-wrenching thing I've read in a while. Not going to c&p it here, it's too sad. It's about the woman in Cairns who killed eight children.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-04/cairns-children-killings-what-drove-raina-thaiday-slay-8-kids/8492742

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
It's a dangerous game you play, Carlton...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So Trump drinks jobs-investments-wages from Australia and it gets into America... how? I can only imagine one way. Think about your metaphors, hack cartoonists.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Senor Tron posted:

I like that they put one token Asian in the back.

Maybe it's my eyesight, but they all look white to me? I assume the one you're saying is Asian is the one with black long hair but she seriously looks Caucasian to me.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Don't zit shame.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

please make posting pictures of Caleb Bond a bannable offense, thanks

He makes me feel less self-conscious about my looks and fashion choices.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Send your piss jars to the daily telegraph.

I already mail them my turds, so why not.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Yeah, sorry about that - I was aiming for your taillight but I was pissed.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
JBP didn't read that 'you can't waste your vote' cartoon. Sad, really.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Scary times for the humanities. Glad I got my degree in when I did.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/12/humanities-students-budget-cuts-university-suny?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Humanities departments in America are once again being axed. The reasons, one hears, are economic rather than ideological. It’s not that schools don’t care about the humanities – they just can’t afford them. But if one looks at these institutions’ priorities, one finds a hidden ideology at work.

Earlier this month, the State University of New York (Suny) Stony Brook, announced a plan to eliminate several of the college’s well-regarded departments for budgetary reasons. Undergraduates will no longer be able to major in Comparative Literature, in Cinema and Cultural Studies, or in Theater Arts.

Three doctoral programs would be cut, and three departments (European Languages and Literature, Hispanic Languages and Literature, and Cultural Studies) would be merged into one. Not only students but faculty will be affected; many untenured teachers would lose their jobs, and doctoral candidates would have to finish their studies elsewhere.

This is happening at a time in which high salaries are awarded to college administrators that dwarf those of junior or even a senior faculty member teaching in at-risk departments. That discrepancy can only be explained through ideology. The decision to reduce education to a corporate consumer-driven model, providing services to the student-client, is ideological too.

Suny Stony Brook is spending millions on a multiyear program entitled “Far Beyond” that is intended to “rebrand” the college’s image: a redesigned logo and web site, new signs, banners and flags throughout the campus. Do colleges now care more about how a school looks and markets itself than about what it teaches? Has the university become a theme park: Collegeland, churning out workers trained to fill particular niches? Far beyond what?

The threat of cuts that Suny Stony Brook is facing is not entirely new. In 2010, Suny Albany announced that it was getting rid of its Russian, classics, theater, French and Italian departments – a decision later rescinded. The University of Pittsburgh has cut its German, classics, and religious studies program.
Advertisement

This problem has parallels internationally. In the UK, protests greeted Middlesex University’s 2010 decision to phase out its philosophy department. In June 2015, the Japanese minister of education sent a letter to the presidents of the national universities of Japan, suggesting they close their graduate and undergraduate departments in the humanities and social sciences and focus on something more practical.

Most recently, the Hungarian government announced restrictions that would essentially make it impossible for the Central European University, funded by George Soros, to function in Budapest.

These are hard times. Students need jobs when they graduate. But a singular opportunity has been lost if they are denied the opportunity to study foreign languages, the classics, literature, philosophy, music, theater and art. When else in their busy lives will they get that chance?

Eloquent defenses of the humanities have appeared, essays explaining why we need these subjects, what their loss would mean. Those of us who teach and study are aware of what these areas of learning provide: the ability to think critically and independently; to tolerate ambiguity; to see both sides of an issue; to look beneath the surface of what we are being told; to appreciate the ways in which language can help us understand one another more clearly and profoundly – or, alternately, how language can conceal and misrepresent. They help us learn how to think, and they equip us to live in – to sustain – a democracy.

Studying the classics and philosophy teaches students where we come from, and how our modes of reasoning have evolved over time. Learning foreign languages, and about other cultures, enables students to understand how other societies resemble or differ from our own. Is it entirely paranoid to wonder if these subjects are under attack because they enable students to think in ways that are more complex than the reductive simplifications so congenial to our current political and corporate discourse?
Advertisement

I don’t believe that the humanities can make you a decent person. We know that Hitler was an ardent Wagner fan and had a lively interest in architecture. But literature, art and music can focus and expand our sense of what humans can accomplish and create. The humanities teach us about those who have gone before us; a foreign language brings us closer to those with whom we share the planet.

The humanities can touch those aspects of consciousness that we call intellect and heart – organs seemingly lacking among lawmakers whose views on health care suggest not only zero compassion but a poor understanding of human experience, with its crises and setbacks.

Courses in the humanities are as formative and beneficial as the classes that will replace them. Instead of Shakespeare or French, there will be (perhaps there already are) college classes in how to trim corporate spending – courses that instruct us to eliminate “frivolous” programs of study that might actually teach students to think.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
You dumb fucks who can't save for a house should just do what we did and borrow off my brother-in-law who had a big compo payment. We paid him back with interest and he gambled the lot, so you can't borrow off him again but just find your own brother-in-law who's come into money.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Which Australian columnist are you?

#BeautifulDaisy

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Oh gently caress don't get mad at me Milky :ohdear:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hooman posted:

We've got a civil war going on in that benighted party, between two pretty unsavory sides, it's not goodies versus baddies, it's Abbott vs. Turnbull.

Well it's a poo poo party with a hellish philosophy so we were never going to get a saviour there. What we need is someone to lead the Labor party who isn't a total fuckwit.

But I give up on all the parties. I'm voting saltie until someone founds the Burn It All The gently caress Down party.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
LoL he sounds like he's the first person to have ever sanded a floor.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
LOOK I HAD TO SAND FLOORS AND POLISH KNOBS GET A JOB YOU FUCKS AND BORROW OFF YOUR BOSS AND GRANDFATHER

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
This of course means that Bolt is a child sex offender since he's never denounced Pell's crimes and in fact has supported him. I'm just using his own logic.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Old people.txt

https://twitter.com/larissawaters/status/864711112914161668

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

IronClaymore posted:

Ooh, do I get to stay because of an early 1900s photograph showing my ancestor making eyes at a stolen girl and everything after that concerning my great-grandparents being suspiciously hushed up, or do I have to do a genetic test?

Hmm, in any case, fossil evidence clearly states that the Aboriginal people are also immigrants, they just illegally immigrated 40-50 thousand years ago. We should probably deport them back to Indonesia, where they came from.

Aborigines didn't come from Indonesia and you can't illegally immigrate to an unoccupied land with no laws.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Senor Tron posted:

Much like the real gold standard, primarily appealing to libertarians and those who have no idea how the real world works.

But you repeat yourself.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Kurtofan posted:

What's the hate symbol?

They're being sarcastic and referring to the crosses on top of the dome-thingies.

I wonder what Kenny's doing quoting an alt-righter? Makes u think.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

What the gently caress, that's my house in the water.

Don't worry, they'll build levees - paid for by scrapping Centrelink payments.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Box of Bunnies posted:

Sunrise going hard on WHERE ARE THE MUSLIM LEADERS CONDEMING THE MANCHESTER ATTTACK!? Even got Julie Bishop in on it.

Twitter is full of Muslim councils, Islamic representatives, etc, condemning the attacks I mean they're not looking very loving hard.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
10 seconds of Twittering:

https://twitter.com/KJBar/status/867131341745274880

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Are you fuckers ready for the mother of all media circuses when are Schapelle arrives on saturday?

I thought she was already back in the country, they're really dragging this thing out for no good reason.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

One big problem Connolly and other magazine editors had was that decent pictures of Corby were scarce.

"Cover girls are typically beautiful. They're studio images, they're well made-up, they've got hair and make-up, wind machines. It was really difficult to get images of Schapelle that were going to be beautiful, that our readers would walk past in Woolworths or a petrol station and think, 'Ooh, gorgeous.'
"We've got a prisoner here. Often the photos were taken by prisoners behind bars, or by paparazzi from outside jail. Images became very valuable at that point."

The faster the revolution comes so people like this can be put up against the wall, the better IMO.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Zenithe posted:

Key word happier. Doesn't Brisbane have one of the most expensive public transport systems fare wise?

Wouldn't know. Fare evaded the whole time I was in QLD.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/SharriMarkson/status/867944319998504960

She's getting a lot of support in the replies.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Last post.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Senor Tron posted:

Incorrect.

Now it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU