Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four

Nice yarn. Maybe you should make a thread about it. (That joke is dumb I'm sorry lol)

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

Hi there BYOB :)

I just hope you enjoy it and have fun :)

I did enjoy it thanks!

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

I've really liked the other entries so far! I'm glad everyone is having fun with this and al lthe contestants are really great. I don't mind if you think mine's the best or not because there are lots of great choices, I just hope you enjoy it and have fun :) okay thanks everyone! :love:

e: pretend the track is 9 seconds shorter :blush:

Holy poo poo. You sound like A.C. Newman but better.

Peg Sliderskew

Fanky Malloons posted:

Hi BYOB! I am not a talented poster, which pains me, but luckily I have this other thing I do that I'm p okay at and which I will humbly share with you, since we're having a pageant and all.

So, may talent is that I like to make art out of paper cut-outs. Like, really elaborate cut-paper things, with layers and stuff. Sometimes I can't find the right colour of paper, so I have to paint my own which is fine, but it takes forever to dry and I am impatient!! I had lots of pictures and I didn't want y'all to be bored, so I made some collages instead:

Here is a collage of my fave thing I've made so far, which is an octopus in the shape of a human heart (I sent it to my best friend because I love her). I thought you might like to see the difference between the drawing and the finished product, and also I wanted to show some of the layers, and a close up of the octopus skin texture, which I did with watercolour paint and I was pretty proud of myself for! (In case anyone is wondering, the final image is flipped because I usually trace the layers, and I wanted the finished image to be mirrored so that it was anatomically correct [insofar as that is possible when you are a heart made from an octopus])

Here's some other small things I made for fun. The jellyfish is the first paper art I ever made! It has some glue ~issues~ because I hadn't figured out that part yet when I made it. The portrait is Freddie Lounds from Hannibal, because I really liked her hair and wanted to see how it would look, and the bear is a bear.

Finally, here's a card I made for one of my other friends for Galentine's Day, and also a drawing of a work-in-progress that I've been meaning to finish for like a year but I've been busy with funeral school and also I don't want to start it because all those flowers are gonna be real difficult and I'm lazy.

Thanks for looking I hope you liked my stuff!

Edit: IDK If was supposed to sign up beforehand somehow?? I just got real excited to post, so here we are, sorry if I'm doing things wrong cda!!

I love all of these, but the bear is my favourite, especially the way the simple shape and the colouring makes it look like a medieval picture. I would pay for this!

Courtesy of Manifisto

cda

by Hand Knit

Fanky Malloons posted:

Edit: IDK If was supposed to sign up beforehand somehow?? I just got real excited to post, so here we are, sorry if I'm doing things wrong cda!!

You were, but I don't care if you sign up now. Do you want to be in the pageant? We still have swimsuit, evening wear, and questions to go.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

posting smiling
for my talent, it's 3D. 3d stands for "three dimensions", but what good is it? well you can do all kinds of stuff with 3d, but for byob, i use it to make avatars. i even noticed that one poster in this very thread didn't have an avatar so as a demonstration of my talent and my kindness i made hockey jockey an avatar

alnilam

posting smiling posted:

for my talent, it's 3D. 3d stands for "three dimensions", but what good is it? well you can do all kinds of stuff with 3d, but for byob, i use it to make avatars. i even noticed that one poster in this very thread didn't have an avatar so as a demonstration of my talent and my kindness i made hockey jockey an avatar

wow, three dimensions what will they think of next! what an nice av :)

Peg Sliderskew

posting smiling posted:

That is incredible! I don't have a credit card right now so I will save it for later :D

Courtesy of Manifisto

posting smiling

hockey jockey posted:

That is incredible! I don't have a credit card right now so I will save it for later :D

you don't have to actually use it unless you want to, but if you do like it i can hook you up with a av cert :respek:

Peg Sliderskew
I really do like it and will use it when I get a CC sorted out- I would feel a bit embarrassed to have it otherwise!

Courtesy of Manifisto

Robot Made of Meat

hockey jockey posted:

I really do like it and will use it when I get a CC sorted out- I would feel a bit embarrassed to have it otherwise!

You are good and excellent, and if someone offers you an av cert, you shouldn't hesitate to use it!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Fanky Malloons

Is your social worker inside that horse?

cda posted:

You were, but I don't care if you sign up now. Do you want to be in the pageant? We still have swimsuit, evening wear, and questions to go.

Yes!

(Sorry for breaking the 1 post per participant rule)

:krad: sig brought to you by the amazing & beautiful vanisher, feat. Helle Woods, artisinally designed by Death Sext !!!

HotSoapyBeard

I'm a really cool nice dad
HAIKOOLIGAN

These are lovely, you are a great person.

You have the perfect voice for a grilled cheese commentary and this had the double benefit of entertaining me like you wouldn't believe and also making me want a grilled cheese.

vanisher posted:

I make gifs sometimes they aren't always great good luck other contestants

If we're doing Simon Cowell references I like to think of myself as the equivalent of the chicken farmer doing a falsetto cover of Barbie Girl by Aqua

Incredible, that's so good that you can spend time doing something so awesome, everyone's so creative!

These are nice, I like the way you layer colour, that skull is rad.

posting smiling posted:

My mind is blown, the horse's skates... I'm overwhelmed

cda

by Hand Knit
:siren: Reminder that you have until TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT EST to post your talent :siren:

Remember -- any score is better than no score, so if you don't have a talent, just do something untalented. Once upon a time a guy called Rich Kyanka did exactly that, and look at him now: owner of the world's most exclusive web forums.

The following participants have posted a talent:

1.munchables - filmmaking
2. vanisher - gifmaking
3. alnilam - music
4. posting smiling - av/gifmaking
5. MrWillsauce - grilledcheesemaking
7. pig slut lisa - music
8. fanky maloons - art
10. eugene v. dabs - weaving
12. hockey jockey - crochet
15. They Might Be - music
16. N. Senada - music
17. HotSoapyBeard - boat captaining

The following participants have yet to post their talent:
6. Manifisto
9. farg
11. Hogge Wild
13. Android Blues
14. King of the Beach
18. lmbo calrissian

If I missed anyone, let me know.

cda fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 5, 2017

----------------

pig slut lisa

irl is good

Many of you are familiar with Madison, the Official BYOB Dog:

My wife and I welcomed Madison (Maddie for short) into our home in February 2014. I still remember posting my first BYOB thread about our struggles to get this nervous newcomer to make her first pee in front of our building, and the encouragement I received from Haam and Dotcom Jillionaire and alnilam and others. My wife and I fell instantly and deeply in love with this fuzzy little tailwagger who had come to us from a neglected home.

One of the things I didn't realize until I got a dog is that occasionally--especially when it's past midnight and the dog is sleeping on the floor next to your feet--you'll look at her and be struck by the realization that you've just acquired a best friend whom you're going to see die (and maybe have to put down yourself). We got Maddie when she was 6 years old, and she's a very healthy dog, but even so...that day is coming, and I can't stop my brain from thinking about it sometimes.

It was around this time that Jimmy Fallon left Late Night for the Tonight Show. I've never really been a Fallon watcher but I remember seeing online his last bittersweet sketch. He had the Muppets on to help him sing "The Weight" by The Band. Something about the mixture of happiness and sadness and wistfulness and other indescribable emotions really resonated with me. I also realized that the chorous--"take a load off, Fanny", etc.--had the potential to rhyme with Maddie, about whose far off but inevitable passing I knew my wife and I would also feel a mix of bittersweet emotions.

That being the case, I took it upon myself to rewrite the lyrics of "The Weight" and make them about Maddie. I also reached out to a couple local musicians I know and commissioned them to provide a backing track for the song. It's my first and only time recording a piece of solo music and it was emotional given the subject matter.

I wrapped production in fall 2014, about two months before our wedding. To this day I still haven't shared it with my wife. The intention was always to have her listen for the first time after Maddie eventually leaves us, but I don't know when or even if that will happen. It could be too painful. It may come a week or a month or a year after, or never at all. It may just be a gift for Maddie and me, something that she and I alone share on those late nights when my wife has gone to sleep, the dog is snoozing at my feet, and I hum a verse or two of the song I wrote for my most special friend in all the world.

All of which is to say that this is overly care and not worth your attention but it's one of the most personally meaningful things I've done so if you want to listen, I will share it. It doesn't have a name since I don't have any other songs I need to distinguish it from. From me and the Official BYOB Dog, thanks for listening.

Love you little dogger :unsmith:

They Might Be

cda posted:

:siren: Reminder that you have until TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT EST to post your talent :siren:

Remember -- any score is better than no score, so if you don't have a talent, just do something untalented. Once upon a time a guy called Rich Kyanka did exactly that, and look at him now: owner of the world's most exclusive web forums.

The following participants have posted a talent:

1.munchables - filmmaking
2. vanisher - gifmaking
3. alnilam - music
4. posting smiling - av/gifmaking
5. MrWillsauce - grilledcheesemaking
8. fanky maloons - art
10. eugene v. dabs - weaving
12. hockey jockey - crochet
16. N. Senada - music
17. HotSoapyBeard - boat captaining

The following participants have yet to post their talent:
6. Manifisto
9. farg
7. pig slut lisa
11. Hogge Wild
13. Android Blues
14. King of the Beach
15. They Might Be
18. lmbo calrissian

If I missed anyone, let me know.

Apparently what I thought was my entry doesn't count. I'd be more than happy to submit a digest of the beer idea I let byob vote on / name, then created/brewed/sold kits of in a store. It's much less embarrassing than my karaoke, so let me know!

edit: For those that weren't there, we put doughnuts in the mash:

They Might Be fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 5, 2017

cda

by Hand Knit

They Might Be posted:

Apparently what I thought was my entry doesn't count. I'd be more than happy to submit a digest of the beer idea I let byob vote on / name, then created/brewed/sold kits of in a store. It's much less embarrassing than my karaoke, so let me know!

edit: For those that weren't there, we put doughnuts in the mash:

Oh drat, it totally counts, I'm sorry! I just got mixed up with how many music entries there were. You're good.

----------------

Matoi Ryuko

I would like to sign up for the the talent pagent. My talent is signing up late for talent pagents.

They Might Be

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I would like to sign up for the the talent pagent. My talent is signing up late for talent pagents.

are you any good at folk music refrains?

you're welcome to hop in on my only living boy in new york karaoke and we can submit it together like a present to mom/dad from both of us.

Matoi Ryuko

Tom....get your plane right on time....I know your part'll go fine...

They Might Be

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Tom....get your plane right on time....I know your part'll go fine...

even better, you just need to fill the middle minute and a half or so with "ahhhhh-ah-ahhh" and just one "here I ammmmm-mmmm"

They Might Be fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 5, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Well, I'm sold!

~*BIRD BIRD CREW*~

Manifisto

phew, out of kitty jail in time to make an entry!

hello byob and thank you for this opportunity to be elected god-emperor of this forum! for my talent I am going to argue that "faking craftiness" is a thing. I am not actually particularly crafty, but with time and a certain amount of research and stubbornness I can sometimes make things that vaguely resemble what I set out to create.

example #1 is some ultralight hiking gear I sewed a few years back. I got materials and patterns from online shops and made a tent (really a sort of tarp-tent with a bug net enclosure and solid floor), a sleep quilt, and a backpack. this involved marking and cutting bolts of material and a surprisingly large amount of sewing, something I'd basically never done outside of a few miserable failures in middle school home ec class.

tarp tent (with just a tiny corner of the quilt visible on the floor):

backpack:

a few things made this harder and therefore a bit more of an achievement (to me). one is that a lot of the material I was sewing was silnylon, which is extremely slippery and thus not the easiest thing to sew, especially with small seam allowances. the other is that the sewing machine I was using was pretty basic/cheap, and thus hardly a precision instrument. this took many weeks. I got to know the seam ripper quite well.

the good news (for me) is that the stuff actually works. the tent tents and the quilt quilts, I have spent a few nights in them in the wilderness, and the backpack has been used on many hikes. All this stuff is ridiculously light and the tent and quilt pack down nice and small.

my other example of faux-crafting is a halloween mask I made a while ago. I got it into my head that I wanted to dress up as the Horned King from the Lloyd Alexander Prydain books (anyone remember those? anyone?), who was painted like this on the cover of the edition I had as a wee lad:

to execute this concept, I bought a book called "how to make masks" by Jonni Good (which I recommend to anyone interested in such things) which discusses a versatile papier-mache technique using "shop towels" (basically very strong paper towels). I made a model of my face and head to build the mask on. I built up the features using modeling clay (and aluminum foil for the horns), then built the papier-mache mask by layering shop towels and plaster/glue over top of the clay. this took a good while, and painting the thing in a way that sort of satisfied me took a lot of coats and a bunch of trial and error.

it went over pretty well on halloween, although I hadn't reckoned on what a huge pita those horns would be. walking under trees and through doorways suddenly became a huge logistical challenge.

in summation, I believe I have effectively demonstrated the talents I set out to illustrate: using bullshit justifications to tie together unrelated things, and waiting until the last minute to do stuff.

good luck to all the other contestants, I look forward to your concession speeches!

ty nesamdoom!

City of Glompton

hello byob posting pageant judges, audience members and fellow participants!

my name is City of Glompton aka Siluvayne, and my talent is talking sexy

for your listening pleasure I have recorded a monologue called Quiche Isn't Sexy:

in case you're not convinced, another example of my talent resides in the byob goldmine, where I read Math Debater's post, Prisons are Sexy:

thank you for your consideration

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

City of Glompton

e: somehow this ate the start of my post where I said nice things about the other entries too. they were really great!

N. Senada posted:

Hello and thank you for your time.

I play guitar like millions of other young white men across this great globe of ours.

Occasionally, my friends I made over xbox live when I was 14 will share something funny with me and I'll make a song out of it and record it on my laptop microphone for us to laugh at.

The first one I made was based on a craigslist post on the Miami, FL site. It provided the lyrics. It's called Swamp Buggy Baby Here it is:

Here's another one I made for my friend Lee when he wanted me to cover a christmas song but make it about lovecraft.

I love acoustic guitar

HotSoapyBeard posted:

Hello there my name's HotSoapyBeard nice to meet you.
So my talent isn't the most exciting or wholesome but I think it's pretty chill so here goes.
I drive a tour boat for work, here's a few pics for context

And here's a little vid of a very quiet trip
https://youtu.be/FWgmps4sULQ

Thanks for watching and good luck everybody

what can I say but wow, that is soothing

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

oh hi so. i'm bad at participation and just noticed this so participation is definitely not my talent hahah!

my talent is DOIN STUFF TO MAKE YOUR CLOTHES. literally. i make you clothes, what up my dudes. i know that's weird so i'll illustrate with some pictures that i found on the internet (all are mine, except the sheep chart is not obv.) LET'S GO.

WHOA poo poo IT'S SOME SHEEP HOLY gently caress LOOK AT THEM

this is a fleece off of a sheep! in fact it's a fleece off of a bersugget colored shetland/jacob cross ewe lamb named abby. abby was a dirty sheep and is being sorted right now. she lives in a nice place and i got to go shear her myself, with manual scissor style shears. it takes me about 4 minutes to shear a sheep with electric shears and 5 to ten depending on the size and how hard they kick me with manual shears. it's completely painless to the sheep (and it helps keep them from getting sick!)

here is a nice shaela shetland fleece, turned upside down for inspection and sorting. after the shearing, i have to skirt (remove the poop/really dirty bits), sort (by lock size/color/quality), wash (special wool wash, no agitation, it's an all day process for one fleece), dry (again, no agitation--drying racks outside in the sun) and re-sort all of the locks. you have to be super careful not to felt the wool via agitation, heat or the wrong kind of detergent. sheep have lanolin and are super gross so there's often two to three washes and sometimes four rinses to get the wool clean enough to process. i saved you from seeing sheep poop, y'all.

these are four pitch english combs. four pitches means they have four rows of tines and the tines vary from 6" to 9" long. they weigh about 10 pounds each and have a mounting pad. after all that washing and sorting--we're now on day 3 or 4 depending on drying times, btw--i "lash on" the locks of wool to the comb, butt (cut end, closer to skin) to tip on the comb. you don't want to overfill the comb--fiber is light--so for an average 4 pound fleece, you may fill that comb 600 times. it takes four to six passes to get quality combed wool "top" for true worsted spun yarn. oh yes. this isn't the entire process, this is just for a worsted spun yarn in a fingering weight. i won't go into carding and the processes of spinning true woolen yarns.

and by the magic of television--i combed all of this in about 8 hours. that's a large flat rate box of tiny bundles of fiber, and it took 8 hours of solid combing one day to get it. phew. it's a hell of a workout for upper body strength (and hypervigilance--don't drop those combs on your feet). now: this can go a couple of other ways, it can be DYED or it can be SPUN then DYED. i actually usually dye in the wool (before combing) so this isn't a big deal to me!!!

then after that it's time to oil up a spinning wheel. oh gently caress, here we go.

this is my favorite wheel. she's an ashford elizabeth 30" anniversary edition (one of the nicer newer ones too!!!!) dt, and her name is lizzie borden. she hates everyone but me. she'll throw her flywheel off in the floor if anyone else spins on her. :D

and that's all yarn i've made in the last few years. i have more, too. oh wait there's more. we're just now on what, a week off the sheep? i have yarn and thread. what do you have a week after you peel a sheep?

well, i generally PULL A WARP for my loom. then i have to get the warp on the loom. warp threads are those cool vertical threads in a piece of woven fabric; weft are the cross threads. here. i'll make this make more sense with a picture.

so this is a louet jane 40cm wide loom with a scarf warp on it from one of my students. it's my table loom; i use it for travel/teaching/class stuff because they're super easy to teach on but also easy to warp, so i have my warp tied onto the back beam there, with it sorted into the raddle to wind on and make a scarf. this is probably day 9 because yarn making breaks can be taken.

and now here's me weaving on my louet spring 90 cm loom at the yarn store (rip my lys, you were my favorite job). that's a scarf in yarn i made. for real. i am pretty pleased with that scarf now that it's fulled out and finished; unfortunately i don't have a picture because it got stolen by mike and taken to work as a chill-chaser because his office is -5C on a good day.

so yep. that's my talent. i can make your clothes. that's all i got.

omg :swoon: make me clothes ok?

Fanky Malloons posted:

Hi BYOB! I am not a talented poster, which pains me, but luckily I have this other thing I do that I'm p okay at and which I will humbly share with you, since we're having a pageant and all.

So, may talent is that I like to make art out of paper cut-outs. Like, really elaborate cut-paper things, with layers and stuff. Sometimes I can't find the right colour of paper, so I have to paint my own which is fine, but it takes forever to dry and I am impatient!! I had lots of pictures and I didn't want y'all to be bored, so I made some collages instead:

Here is a collage of my fave thing I've made so far, which is an octopus in the shape of a human heart (I sent it to my best friend because I love her). I thought you might like to see the difference between the drawing and the finished product, and also I wanted to show some of the layers, and a close up of the octopus skin texture, which I did with watercolour paint and I was pretty proud of myself for! (In case anyone is wondering, the final image is flipped because I usually trace the layers, and I wanted the finished image to be mirrored so that it was anatomically correct [insofar as that is possible when you are a heart made from an octopus])

Here's some other small things I made for fun. The jellyfish is the first paper art I ever made! It has some glue ~issues~ because I hadn't figured out that part yet when I made it. The portrait is Freddie Lounds from Hannibal, because I really liked her hair and wanted to see how it would look, and the bear is a bear.

Finally, here's a card I made for one of my other friends for Galentine's Day, and also a drawing of a work-in-progress that I've been meaning to finish for like a year but I've been busy with funeral school and also I don't want to start it because all those flowers are gonna be real difficult and I'm lazy.

Thanks for looking I hope you liked my stuff!

fanky malloons you are very talented!

alnilam posted:

Hi there BYOB :)

I know you're all expecting me to set myself on fire again. I'm sorry to disappoint, but well I'm out of isopropanol and anyway duckie told me not to do it again EVEN THOUGH I'm pretty good at it, so I decided instead to take this opportunity to play around with something musical that I've wanted to for a while.

I like to play music, and I really really like to sing. I've always wanted to do more harmonizing with my voice, because when I do get to I friggin love it.

I also bought a field recorder a while ago that musicians like to use for recording jams, because it's cheap and has a decent mic. So I decided I'd record over myself multiple times and have some fun recording a song.

Man this was a lot of fun. Since it's an external recording device, I could listen to the mix so far on headphones while playing/singing into the mic, but the tracks were not inherently synced. So syncing the tracks was a little challenging.

Also I'm getting over a cold AND I'm a little rusty at guitar so it might not be the best but hey this is my first try and I really had fun so I hope you enjoy it!!

So without further adieu, here is me having a lot of fun covering the song Wildewoman by Lucius, a band I really like a lot.

I've really liked the other entries so far! I'm glad everyone is having fun with this and al lthe contestants are really great. I don't mind if you think mine's the best or not because there are lots of great choices, I just hope you enjoy it and have fun :) okay thanks everyone! :love:

e: pretend the track is 9 seconds shorter :blush:

alnilam this is beautiful, it's stuck in my head now (in a good way). let's do a duet

Munchables posted:

Here are some things I made that don't have a lot of revealing personal info:
A school project about anti bullying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91z5Ol5LzhI

A mock movie trailer parodying michael bay style action flicks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h6ELp2M844

And a little thing I made for a gaming forum I used to frequent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYyNvBTZYM

very cool!

posting smiling posted:

excellent and I would expect nothing less from you

pig slut lisa posted:

Many of you are familiar with Madison, the Official BYOB Dog:

My wife and I welcomed Madison (Maddie for short) into our home in February 2014. I still remember posting my first BYOB thread about our struggles to get this nervous newcomer to make her first pee in front of our building, and the encouragement I received from Haam and Dotcom Jillionaire and alnilam and others. My wife and I fell instantly and deeply in love with this fuzzy little tailwagger who had come to us from a neglected home.

One of the things I didn't realize until I got a dog is that occasionally--especially when it's past midnight and the dog is sleeping on the floor next to your feet--you'll look at her and be struck by the realization that you've just acquired a best friend whom you're going to see die (and maybe have to put down yourself). We got Maddie when she was 6 years old, and she's a very healthy dog, but even so...that day is coming, and I can't stop my brain from thinking about it sometimes.

It was around this time that Jimmy Fallon left Late Night for the Tonight Show. I've never really been a Fallon watcher but I remember seeing online his last bittersweet sketch. He had the Muppets on to help him sing "The Weight" by The Band. Something about the mixture of happiness and sadness and wistfulness and other indescribable emotions really resonated with me. I also realized that the chorous--"take a load off, Fanny", etc.--had the potential to rhyme with Maddie, about whose far off but inevitable passing I knew my wife and I would also feel a mix of bittersweet emotions.

That being the case, I took it upon myself to rewrite the lyrics of "The Weight" and make them about Maddie. I also reached out to a couple local musicians I know and commissioned them to provide a backing track for the song. It's my first and only time recording a piece of solo music and it was emotional given the subject matter.

I wrapped production in fall 2014, about two months before our wedding. To this day I still haven't shared it with my wife. The intention was always to have her listen for the first time after Maddie eventually leaves us, but I don't know when or even if that will happen. It could be too painful. It may come a week or a month or a year after, or never at all. It may just be a gift for Maddie and me, something that she and I alone share on those late nights when my wife has gone to sleep, the dog is snoozing at my feet, and I hum a verse or two of the song I wrote for my most special friend in all the world.

All of which is to say that this is overly care and not worth your attention but it's one of the most personally meaningful things I've done so if you want to listen, I will share it. It doesn't have a name since I don't have any other songs I need to distinguish it from. From me and the Official BYOB Dog, thanks for listening.

Love you little dogger :unsmith:

you sir are a master

Manifisto posted:

phew, out of kitty jail in time to make an entry!

hello byob and thank you for this opportunity to be elected god-emperor of this forum! for my talent I am going to argue that "faking craftiness" is a thing. I am not actually particularly crafty, but with time and a certain amount of research and stubbornness I can sometimes make things that vaguely resemble what I set out to create.

example #1 is some ultralight hiking gear I sewed a few years back. I got materials and patterns from online shops and made a tent (really a sort of tarp-tent with a bug net enclosure and solid floor), a sleep quilt, and a backpack. this involved marking and cutting bolts of material and a surprisingly large amount of sewing, something I'd basically never done outside of a few miserable failures in middle school home ec class.

tarp tent (with just a tiny corner of the quilt visible on the floor):

backpack:

a few things made this harder and therefore a bit more of an achievement (to me). one is that a lot of the material I was sewing was silnylon, which is extremely slippery and thus not the easiest thing to sew, especially with small seam allowances. the other is that the sewing machine I was using was pretty basic/cheap, and thus hardly a precision instrument. this took many weeks. I got to know the seam ripper quite well.

the good news (for me) is that the stuff actually works. the tent tents and the quilt quilts, I have spent a few nights in them in the wilderness, and the backpack has been used on many hikes. All this stuff is ridiculously light and the tent and quilt pack down nice and small.

my other example of faux-crafting is a halloween mask I made a while ago. I got it into my head that I wanted to dress up as the Horned King from the Lloyd Alexander Prydain books (anyone remember those? anyone?), who was painted like this on the cover of the edition I had as a wee lad:

to execute this concept, I bought a book called "how to make masks" by Jonni Good (which I recommend to anyone interested in such things) which discusses a versatile papier-mache technique using "shop towels" (basically very strong paper towels). I made a model of my face and head to build the mask on. I built up the features using modeling clay (and aluminum foil for the horns), then built the papier-mache mask by layering shop towels and plaster/glue over top of the clay. this took a good while, and painting the thing in a way that sort of satisfied me took a lot of coats and a bunch of trial and error.

it went over pretty well on halloween, although I hadn't reckoned on what a huge pita those horns would be. walking under trees and through doorways suddenly became a huge logistical challenge.

in summation, I believe I have effectively demonstrated the talents I set out to illustrate: using bullshit justifications to tie together unrelated things, and waiting until the last minute to do stuff.

good luck to all the other contestants, I look forward to your concession speeches!

that is a very handy talent and I am impressed!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

posting smiling

it's very cool to see all the designs you can make with crochet. i love the little bears.

can't say i've heard of this before, but you seem very good at it.

nice. that's a good song.

this one is giving me stage fright.

i like how the clipping in the cthulu one makes it sound like you're being accompanied by an angry beast.

that's a rad boat, it must be fun to drive.

that's an incredible skill. those machines look very complicated.

these have a very cool look. i especially like the skull one.

this sounds really good. is the sort of bass drum sound from stomping your foot?

the explosions one is a visceral aural experience.

that's way over my head, op, but it seems like it deserves a trophy or a medal at least.

best one yet. loved every second.

that mask is cracking me up. the camping gear is rad too. camping is rad.

nice. i never thought about quiche like that before, but now i'm thinking about it a lot.

alnilam

^^what they said, sorry i haven't replied to every one cause i mostly phone post these days but I've really looked at or listened to each entry and really enjoyed them all thank u all

it's like when you come to a thread and youre like "pretend i empty quote the whole thread"

Impkins Patootie

HI im King of the Beach and for my Mx. BYOB Talent submission I decided to share something ive been getting into increasingly over the past few months...

I like to take snaps of things...in particular birds, landscapes, skies, really anything that calls to me and asks to be digitally immortalized on the netcloud rather than simply be just a brief, random, lost and/or absurd convergence of space and time that happens to be aesthetically pleasing to someone (me)

for my submission i give u this sampling:

now that its nice again im planning on branching out some more and exploring new places on my motorcycle to chill at, wander around, observe and just snap away as i please...so far im really enjoying this and look forward to where it takes me, stay tuned~

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Hey byob and pageant queens, I am an abstract artist and I've been interested in so in high school. My talent is that I make multicolorful animal portraits - not just animals or just portraits, but to narrow down a single thing that I can do that's presentable, I guess its this. Anyway I started in HS in painting class when we first did "pointillism", and ever since I carried some of it bc I think its nicer than mixing paints, which is why I'm not trying to work in art rn.

I made animal portraits as gifts for friends, whether its their pet, or an animal I think represents my friend's personality, cause I like animals and they're naturally a subject that allows for the most explosion of color while having dynamic shapes. You can argue plants but :shrug:

This is a pug wearing a scarf, his name was T-Bone and he was my friend's pug. This was done with acrylic I think, and tried to go for a chinese lion-esque, psychedelic feel

These are my latest, a deer in crayola I did this week, and a work in progress ibis like bird in paints. They make for very personal sentiments as gifts and suppose they represent my personality, and gayness. Is that byob? Is fun tho!

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 6, 2017

joke_explainer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Hmm. Alright, let's see it. Now, this competition's rules are rather lackadaisically implemented, sure. But basic causality says you cannot participate in a contest before you join it. The talent portion is ongoing, but your talent demonstration post can't occur before you actually entered the contest. So in order to fulfill your talent, you will either have to find another talent pageant and through your determination, charm, and sheer talent at the process, enter it late and show you have a valid entry. I look forward to seeing how you hoodwink them!

cda

by Hand Knit

hockey jockey nails the first entry in the talent contest with an entry that displays both craftmanship and a big heart. I particularly liked all the crocheted foods, and Goldilocks is adorable. I gotta say this also speaks to me as a teacher; I've made a large collection of Shakespearean-character sock puppets to teach Shakespeare plays over the years for when we do in-class readings. The fact that these are being done to help out little kids who are working with English as a second language is also a huge plus.

My Score: 10/10

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

MrWillsauce's entry showcases a mix of comfort and controversy. Nothing could be more BYOB than making a grilled cheese sandwich and the presentation is, in this judge's opinion, extremely chill. I appreciate the talent it took to make a grilled cheese with only one hand while filming with the other hand, and also Willsauce's ability to keep the patter going. I would listen to the audio of this video just to relax.

At the same time, grilled cheese is a controversial subject and I have to say that, for this judge, Willsauce fucks it up majorly. First: low heat? What the hell is that about? If you butter the bread properly you don't have to worry. Which brings me to second: you didn't butter the bread? You just butter the pan? Dude. You got to butter the bread. And while we're at it. Three: what in the world kind of bread is that? Sourdough? Some sort of janky white? For this traditionalist, you go Wonderbread or else you go home. If you're going to get fancy get loving fancy, not this weak rear end Publix bullshit. Four: cheddar? Cheddar? Nuff said. Finally, in case you haven't watched the video, here's what the grilled cheeses look like when they're supposedly ready to eat:

No sir. No thank you.

If the talent is making instructional videos, I think Willsauce has a future. But I'm not letting him anywhere the gently caress near my bread and cheese until he gets reeducated.

My score: 8.9/10

cda fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 6, 2017

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

They Might Be gives us our first music entry. At first for a moment I thought he played the instruments too, but it's just the singing. First, I want to say that taste is an underappreciated part of talent, and TMB picked a really great song here, a kinda deep cut in the S&G catalog. I also like the ambition: setting yourself up against two of the all-time great singers of folk is a ballsy move.

I think TMB has a really appealing voice and pulls it off. It's not professionally polished in any way and it's not always exactly in tune especially on those high notes, but it is not hard to listen to.

My score: 9.3/10

cda fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 6, 2017

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Like Willsauce, vanisher decided to go with a traditional BYOB talent: gifmaking. When you're going traditional, what matters is nailing the details, which is where Willsauce had some challenges. Here, I think vanisher hits all their marks. The animation is smooth, the images are well-composed, there's a nice lil visual joke in there with the SECRET JUDGE being called "NOT LOWTAX," and the modesty at the end is both very BYOB and extremely sneaky. The SECRET JUDGE image at the beginning looks like he wasn't cropped properly though and I'm not quite sure why Fluffie is lit from the back but the other three aren't. Those are minor quibbles, but like I said, when you're doing traditional arts, every detail matters.

My Score: 9.7/10

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Our second musical entry is a threefer: guitar-playing, singing, and songwriting. The quality of the recordings isn't very good, which I'm not holding against the contestant, but it does make it a little more difficult to judge the first entry because the vocals are low in the mix so I think I missed some stuff. I really like the idea of making songs based off of Craigslist ads; I think there's a whole album concept in there, or at least a fun BYOB thread. So full points for creativity on both songs. I think the songwriting is commendable.

The singing and guitar playing are just ok to me. Not actively painful, but nothing I'd like to hear twice if I didn't know the guy. As a person who likes to strum the guitar and write songs myself, but isn't and never will be very good at playing the guitar or singing, I sympathize fully. I'm not a horrible songwriter, and if only God had blessed me with a good voice and manual dexterity, I'd be pulling in the groupies right now instead of judging the Mx. BYOB Posting Pageant.

It takes a lot of guts to share something like this, though. I'm assuming N. Senada knows he's not the next Art Garfunkel. So full points for courage as well.

My Score: 9.3/10

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

HotSoapyBeard's entry is probably the least traditional talent on display. Don't get me wrong: driving a boat is a very traditional talent in the world at large, but it is not a traditional BYOB talent. But HSB manages to make it BYOB. Here are some things I liked about it:

1. He did not crash the boat into things, which is chill.
2. The boat did not sink, which is also chill.
3. For at least a year now I have not been able to read or hear the word "boat" without immediately thinking "And I was very impressed with the boats torture," because of BYOB, but this video did not make me think of boats torture, but instead, boats pleasure.
4. I liked that the guy with beard in his name has a beard. This helped me "immerse" myself in the world of boating and Become One With The Boat.

Things I did not like:

1. We didn't get the tour.
2. I wanted more boat.

Things which confused me:

1. I was angry about having to watch a man eat an ice cream when I could not also eat an ice cream, at that moment.
2. I was p. chill watching a man eat an ice cream.

Result: It made me changry (chill + angry, let's make this a thing)

My Score: 9.6/10

cda fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 6, 2017

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Eugene V. Dabs gives us our second textile talent. I think it's cool that she makes clothes and scarfs and stuff (I guess it's warm, not cool), but the thing I was most impressed with was making the yarn in the first place because the yarn looks really good to me. It looks like it would taste good if I ate it. I'm not saying that I would eat it, unless that's ok? Maybe it's ok to eat yarn? I'm asking for a friend. I would never eat yarn, of course. [very serious voice] Yarn isn't for eating!

Unless...maybe it is?

One thing lacking here is the step where the yarn becomes tasty. I mean pretty. I feel like the dye-ing process is probably involved and interesting because how do you get all those flavors on the yarn? Did you roll the middle yarn around in a pile of berries? Or is the flavor artificial? I'm going to eat that yarn in a big bowl, like it was candy spaghetti.

No. I'm not going to do that. That would be wrong.

My Score: 9.6/10

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

It was exciting to get a talent entry out of the blue like this and to be totally honest if the entry had sucked I probably would've said that registration was closed. But instead of sucking, the entry was dope. I can only speak for myself, but stuff like this is Extremely My poo poo and I would love to get a card or to make a card, that looked like any of the things on display here. I think the one that shows the most technical chops is the Freddie Lounds one; the hair does look really good and it's an interesting effect. The octopus in also very impressive. I like the bear the best though, because I like the bear's expression.

I think this is a genuine talent. The jellyfish one has a few glue problems at the edges so just because I am a bastard I deducted for that.

My Score: 9.9/10

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

This, our third musical entry is guitar playing + singing, but not songwriting. I hadn't heard the original, though, so I listened to it, and I have to say I really like the way that alnilam chose to present it and fill it out with more harmonies. alnilam should get a DAW because the biggest challenge here is syncing up the harmonies, which, as he said, is just difficult to do when it's all on an external recording device.

It seems to me that the rhythm is a little off at times. The guitar-playing is competent, and the singing is full of life and sweetness. The song selection was real good.

My Score: 9.5/10

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit

A video entry that's actually about the videos. That's cool. These gave me feels, remembering the videos I used to make in HS with my friends. Good times. Great times. Here's the difference though: a lot of the actual cinematography of these entries is way better than what we did, so there was actual thought put into that stuff, which I like seeing.

The Bullying one didn't work for me though because 1) fake punches 2) too much emphasis on the guy just walking around being a dick in a stereotypical bully way. I think it would be better if the bully did other things, like posting PISS rear end in one of my threads, or laughing at me because I don't know the difference between the Nets and the Mets (they're both New York teams, right? What's the difference?) To conclude: the bully should do real stuff that really happens to me, because then I could relate more and you wouldn't have to fake the punches. The pain could be real, and forever.

My Score: 9.1/10

----------------