Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

oh hi so. i'm bad at participation and just noticed this so participation is definitely not my talent hahah!

my talent is DOIN STUFF TO MAKE YOUR CLOTHES. literally. i make you clothes, what up my dudes. i know that's weird so i'll illustrate with some pictures that i found on the internet (all are mine, except the sheep chart is not obv.) LET'S GO.

WHOA poo poo IT'S SOME SHEEP HOLY gently caress LOOK AT THEM

this is a fleece off of a sheep! in fact it's a fleece off of a bersugget colored shetland/jacob cross ewe lamb named abby. abby was a dirty sheep and is being sorted right now. she lives in a nice place and i got to go shear her myself, with manual scissor style shears. it takes me about 4 minutes to shear a sheep with electric shears and 5 to ten depending on the size and how hard they kick me with manual shears. it's completely painless to the sheep (and it helps keep them from getting sick!)

here is a nice shaela shetland fleece, turned upside down for inspection and sorting. after the shearing, i have to skirt (remove the poop/really dirty bits), sort (by lock size/color/quality), wash (special wool wash, no agitation, it's an all day process for one fleece), dry (again, no agitation--drying racks outside in the sun) and re-sort all of the locks. you have to be super careful not to felt the wool via agitation, heat or the wrong kind of detergent. sheep have lanolin and are super gross so there's often two to three washes and sometimes four rinses to get the wool clean enough to process. i saved you from seeing sheep poop, y'all.

these are four pitch english combs. four pitches means they have four rows of tines and the tines vary from 6" to 9" long. they weigh about 10 pounds each and have a mounting pad. after all that washing and sorting--we're now on day 3 or 4 depending on drying times, btw--i "lash on" the locks of wool to the comb, butt (cut end, closer to skin) to tip on the comb. you don't want to overfill the comb--fiber is light--so for an average 4 pound fleece, you may fill that comb 600 times. it takes four to six passes to get quality combed wool "top" for true worsted spun yarn. oh yes. this isn't the entire process, this is just for a worsted spun yarn in a fingering weight. i won't go into carding and the processes of spinning true woolen yarns.

and by the magic of television--i combed all of this in about 8 hours. that's a large flat rate box of tiny bundles of fiber, and it took 8 hours of solid combing one day to get it. phew. it's a hell of a workout for upper body strength (and hypervigilance--don't drop those combs on your feet). now: this can go a couple of other ways, it can be DYED or it can be SPUN then DYED. i actually usually dye in the wool (before combing) so this isn't a big deal to me!!!

then after that it's time to oil up a spinning wheel. oh gently caress, here we go.

this is my favorite wheel. she's an ashford elizabeth 30" anniversary edition (one of the nicer newer ones too!!!!) dt, and her name is lizzie borden. she hates everyone but me. she'll throw her flywheel off in the floor if anyone else spins on her. :D

and that's all yarn i've made in the last few years. i have more, too. oh wait there's more. we're just now on what, a week off the sheep? i have yarn and thread. what do you have a week after you peel a sheep?

well, i generally PULL A WARP for my loom. then i have to get the warp on the loom. warp threads are those cool vertical threads in a piece of woven fabric; weft are the cross threads. here. i'll make this make more sense with a picture.

so this is a louet jane 40cm wide loom with a scarf warp on it from one of my students. it's my table loom; i use it for travel/teaching/class stuff because they're super easy to teach on but also easy to warp, so i have my warp tied onto the back beam there, with it sorted into the raddle to wind on and make a scarf. this is probably day 9 because yarn making breaks can be taken.

and now here's me weaving on my louet spring 90 cm loom at the yarn store (rip my lys, you were my favorite job). that's a scarf in yarn i made. for real. i am pretty pleased with that scarf now that it's fulled out and finished; unfortunately i don't have a picture because it got stolen by mike and taken to work as a chill-chaser because his office is -5C on a good day.

so yep. that's my talent. i can make your clothes. that's all i got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

hockey jockey posted:

I will take one for the team (please add points for teamwork) and get mine over with so that others can learn from my mistakes. I can't sing or dance so...

My talent is working with yarn, in particular crochet. I have made clothes and throws but my favourite thing is the story sets I make for teachers. This is a Hungry Caterpillar set. I made most of it from patterns, but had to freehand the finger puppets and cake because there was nothing out there that looked right.

After doing a few of these I decided to start designing my own sets, like this Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

I make these sets for the cost of the materials for receptions (4-5 year olds) teachers who have a lot of children with English as a second or third language so that they can participate in story time more easily.

this is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND THANK YOU. i love amigurumi.

hockey jockey posted:

Eugene vs Dabs, we should be partners! Beautiful wool. I have a huge weakness for variegated colours.

yayayay! we totally should; i make (literal) tons of yarn a year and weave full time as a job. that may change with my impending move (h*ck!) but i am 100% sure i'll still be spinning and weaving at least 30+ hours a week. :D

Randy Travesty fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 3, 2017

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i'm naked on a beach right now, so pretend this is my entry.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

this is the finest swimsuit entry we've ever seen. :golfclap:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

guys i feel really confident that i finally look my best for this so please don't judge me too harshly okay

it's a big step for me to post a full body picture anywhere on line and so i'm feeling really nervous

here goes

i feel so pretty :3

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

King of the Beach posted:

thats bogus and i hope u get well soon and stay that way

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

King of the Beach is awarded a little extra for successful emotional manipulation, making his final score for this round 7.75/10.

no fair, I AM SO HOT I AM LITERALLY A TIRE FIRE IN COMPARISON

EVEN DUCKIE SAYS I'M SUPER HOT OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

quote:

eugene v. dabs - Who do you look up to?

right now i don't know which way is up so that's too hard of a question for me to answer in my current circumstances. life isn't being kind so pass.