Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just like the chime that tells me I've left my key in the ignition. I lose my keys so easily...

Holy poo poo! The ripples, signal noise, and flashes that I've seen for my entire life are real medical issues that have an actual name. It's a mix of phosphenes and visual snow

I may still be crazy, but I'm technically not hallucinating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What's wrong with curved windows on beetles? My grandparents owned half a dozen of the things, and I'd never even heard mention of window problems

E: it has nothing to do with windows and is just indicative of unwanted model year changes, isn't it? :doh:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

OH MY GOD

I thought I had/was experiencing "exploding head syndrome," but it turns out it was this! Once every few months, maybe every six months (but much, much more often as a kid), while trying to fall asleep or while daydreaming in class, I'd see something that looked nearly exactly like that image on the phosphene page, combined with a quick "BWUM," really fast like a gunshot. The "image" from the phosphene, would fade, and the noise would be immediately over, but it would start me awake. There were times as a teenager I would get four or five in a row, 10-30 seconds apart.

MY LIFE HAS MEANING NOW

Thank SciShow, I happened to watch an episode while eating dinner and Hank Green told me what 2 doctors couldn't. Also, don't google phosphenes and auditory hallucinations if you have any hint of hypochondria, it's not a comforting read

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Also uh... I've had visual snow most of my life. Hallucinogens did make me a lot more aware of it, and if I happen to do a bit of :350:, I notice it more than I would while sober. (and of course, now that I'm thinking about it, it's a shitload worse than usual... you just did the Rick Roll of visual snow :argh:)

Oh, they're both apparently totally natural and usually transient phenomena that most people occasionally experience. For me though, it's constant and often overstimulating. The only way I could describe the combination I experience is that I live life with the Silent Hill "noise filter" on everything, unless it's bright enough to drown out the underlying static/ripples

It's such a constant aspect of my life, it actually took me until this year to understand that I wasn't just getting "signal noise" worse than everyone else does, I was seeing stuff I shouldn't

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 9, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

:aaa::respek::aaa:
Well holy poo poo, I didn't know that anyone else knew my pain. Is your night vision kind of weird too? I had trouble learning to navigate at night and used to be unable to read street signs until I learned to repeatedly refocus my eyes to get a clear view of the letters

And according to the rather limited research I've done into it so far, it's either a benign annoyance that has no discernable cause, a quirk with brain metabolism forcing your low-light sensing cells to "see" the heat that they produce, or a big ol red flag for scary neurological and autoimmune diseases. Judging by the fact that I can't remember not seeing the fuzz or ripples, I'm not particularly worried about demyelination of the optic nerve, a stroke, or significant pressure being applied to the optic nerve since I would've also noticed other large problems, such as tremors, rosacea, or death

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

For maybe $.5 million total after renovations, that is one of the coolest houses that money could buy. I'm just disappointed that I can't find a firepole in the pictures....

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

My night vision is fair. It's not great, but it's not horrific. I can't read street signs at night unless I'm standing next to them, but I've been using smartphone navigation to get around for ages now (coming from someone who drives for a living). Even if I'm driving home, I'll still fire up Google Maps or Waze just to make sure I avoid traffic, construction, etc.

I'm supposed to go for a neuro counsel and that driving stuff is what scares me about going. I don't want to have a doctor revoke my license over something that hasn't demonstrably affected my driving for the 8 years I've been behind the wheel. I'm positive that my epileptic uncle was being a douchecanoe, because he is a douchecanoe, to his doctor or the DMV when his license was revoked, but I don't want to take that chance

I can take bad health news, but I loving love to drive

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Looks like Europe is about to punish all the diesel owners after years of penalizing gasoline cars:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a33255/why-diesel-is-done-for-in-passenger-cars/

RIP small diesels.

In other news, I got tired of the 4-colors of bad paint and surface rust on my '90 RX-7.

(Click for embiggen)

Before (well, sort of during - I'd already sanded on the right side of the hood):

During:

After:

(stupid finger)

Full album here

I actually sanded it out pretty well. Got most of the chips smoothed, rust down to bare metal, etc. I didn't do any filler work, though, and with the fresh paint I can see all the hail dents in the hood. Ah, well - it was mostly just to get rid of the surface rust, which was on the hood, tops of the fenders, roof, and rear around the hatch. Pulled off the broken OEM urethane wing in the process. I have a fiberglass one to go back on.
Budget respray doesn't even begin to cover it. That's Rustoleum bare metal primer (sands well, actually) on the hood and fenders, and Rustoleum satin black for the finish. The left fender has cracked original paint, but I didn't want to spend the time to sand that to bare metal just yet, so it's a bit ugly, but at least one color. Got a few runs and sags, two paint cup drips on the hood, and a fisheye reaction on one of the headlight doors (I originally wasn't planning on painting those, so prepped inadequately. I'll pull them off and do them separately later,) using a HF HVLP gun that I just bought for $10 with a coupon. Sprayed pretty well, not that I have anything to measure that against. First time using an HVLP, and really only the second using a spray gun.
I don't really like the original color (too much gold in it), but there's not many other colors that go with the burgundy interior, and I don't want to do the jambs, etc. Planning on selling it soon anyway, so two-tone it is.

Factory brazed seam that I thought interesting:

Bonus PPE pic:

Your post is pretty loving cool, and while I'm not a fan of that style of two-tone paint, as far as I can see on my phone screen, it looks like it came out well.

However, I don't want that diesel thing to slip by me. How in the gently caress do you realistically enforce a $30 a day tax for driving inside of the city?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ice cream, bronkaid, and robitussin work well for me. I used to think ice cream was an excuse to make kids not pissed about getting their tonsils out, but it genuinely helps with the swelling for a little while

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Malort cures whatever ails ya, unless what's ailing you is the toxic wormwood or awful taste of Malort

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

For broader criticism of Ebay wheel purchasing, I just want people to make it clear how many wheels they are selling.
I poo poo you not, when I was looking for used Cromodoras recently, I came across one listing where the picture had 5 wheels, the title said "set" and the description said 3 wheels are for sale, but I can buy the other two for $60 plus shipping extra. Why have more than 3 in the picture??

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Electrical tape in some angry headlights and strip the paint off of the front fenders

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I've been working my way through my bar's stock of cans and bottles of beer because I'm bored of drinking Mickeys' and Jameson. So far I've found out that I love Gose beers, and that Maui Bikini Blonde is a genuine godsend

It tastes the way that beer tastes in commercials. Getchu some for summer

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

monsterzero posted:

Goses are awesome, Anderson Valley's Blood Orange is my favorite, followed by Sierra Nevada's Otra Vez. Maui Brewing's Hanalei IPA is really tasty too and it's got POG in it.

Anderson Valley's Briney Melon and Pipeworks' Dos Ghost are my favorites, why was I so afraid of sours?

E: What is POG?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

monsterzero posted:

Passion Fruit-Orange-Guava, usually a juice. It's like Hawaii's Sunny Delight.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Dos Ghost. Sours are the new IPA, even little mountain town breweries are rocking saisons now.

Good, I'm tired of ultra-hoppy beers. Revolution and 3 Floyds already won that fight for me, and companies like Lagunitas can back the gently caress up with their all hops, all the time styles

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

That is the most transparent "where do you live, I want to rob you" question I've heard in a long time. I'm surprised he didn't ask when you worked or if you lived alone, as long as he was being as subtle as an Oirish accent would allow him to be

Larrymer posted:

oh so you're too much of a PUSSY to handle REAL MAN BEER made with a HOP NUKE that PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE WITH BITTERNESS?

:v:

Love me a good IPA or double.

Try our new Quadruple IPA, 3/4 hops, 1/4 grain, we call it the QuadrIPAl

monsterzero posted:

A few months ago I would have said to watch yer mouth about Lagunitas, but now I'm too worried that they're going to start shipping pre-skunked in green glass.

Lagunitas puts a bunch of hops into their pilsner. Regardless of anything else, that is reason enough to have those guys tap the brakes.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I think the problem with IPA's is Hyperdedicated IPA drinkers demanding higher and higher levels, creating this bizarre circlejerk around a bad taste. There's only so many IBU you can palate, and dancing around the flavors for a complex flavor profile is admirable and I love to drink them when done right, but I feel like most IPA'S just use the overwhelming bitterness of hops to hide sloppy brewing

I got some 5 Rabbits Perfect Paloma Gose, and it's amazing to drink

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I like Mickeys Premium Malt Liquor

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

And the PT Cruiser was once a genuinely good piece of exterior design, in the vein of their late Plymouth designs, that Chrysler was too lazy to improve on over the course of a decade. Chrysler's policy of :regd08: and the reluctance to address basic problems with the car for so long got to the point that everyone hated it as much for what it represented as for what it actually was

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Does anyone in Chicago need a small child? I got stuck babysitting my niece all day and she's... very spirited. And every time I try to color with her, she takes the markers away from me and switches our papers

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Doctors should prescribe ultra high fat diets and borderline alcoholic behaviors to insomniacs. A caffeine (and R6:Siege) fueled night of insomnia had me miserable until I had queso fundido and a Little Sumpin'. Now it feels like I took benadryl

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Nintendo does that false scarcity bullshit so much, and they are constantly talking out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to hardware and 3rd party support that I won't trust them to not turn the Switch into another Wii U

Hell, they just announced a new version of the 3DS after claiming that they were moving 3DS developers onto projects for the Switch so that there's more releases for their flagship. Guess what every Switch owner I know is complaining about their otherwise fun and convenient console right now?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I've been a vegetarian before, and I could do it again

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

No matter how much you gently caress things up with your S/O and cars, take solace that you probably won't gently caress things up as much as I did. I took her and bought a rusty old POS in the middle of the night with most of my own personal savings, have it die on the highway, was unable to to get it home without using the rest of my savings for a tow, then my girlfriend's Emotional Support Dog got diagnosed with bone cancer the morning we got back, and it was put down that same afternoon

It took 3 months for her to even talk about the car besides, "you need to get rid of that".
She's finally forgiven me, thank God

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Although the girlfriend did just get a new ESA, the owner said it's a German shepherd/lab mix, but I'm pretty sure she's just a flatcoated retriever and the person didn't know better.

Besides the tiny eyes and and slightly longer than usual coat, she seems to be all retriever

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

She is a cutie, but poor girlfriend got the smartest loving puppy. It's 9 weeks old, but that thing is fearless and learns things faster than any dog I've seen. I want all of my dogs to be stupid

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

funny Star Wars parody posted:

What's wrong with having a smart dog? Like it figures poo poo out or it's not easily trained because its independent?

Both! Even worse when they get bored by things and become destructive

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Eh, I liked the "are we the baddies?" angle of Rogue One, but I agree that it was pretty uninteresting. Force Awakens was supposed to let people know that Star Wars doesn't have to suck, and it succeeded in that by basically remaking A New Hope

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Cellular Suicide posted:

Mix up some 50/50 ATF/acetone and keep it handy for next time.

Be careful where you keep it, mine melted through a "chemical resistant" spray bottle within 2 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I've spent 30 hours playing NieR: Autoerrotica and I don't know if I like it or not....

The combat is so simplistic for a Platinum game, the world map is somehow too big and too small, the flight sections are an exercise in tedium, and there's just not 30 hours worth of engaging gameplay to fill the game with

I don't want to stop playing though

• Locked thread