Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

jamal posted:

I got out on a borrowed fat bike a few times this winter and getting one for myself is not really on the radar. You actually need pretty specific snow conditions for them to roll well and they are just heavy and slow everywhere else.

A cross/gravel-type bike might have some downsides for you. They have drop bars, and the tires can still be relatively narrow,. You are going to want to be riding on at least 40mm wide tires. That will be more comfortable, give you better grip off pavement, and be nicer to the wheels. So this does include some, but not all cross bikes (mine is for racing- has minimal tire clearance, narrow gearing, and low bars and a high seat). I don't usually suggest "hybrid" bikes but this for example might work out really well

https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-192

The main thing you don't want in a 500-1000 new bike is a front suspension fork (they are just dead weight at that level), or a ton of gears. The 1x drivetrains are simpler and shift better and have a wide range these days.

Agreed. The weight, in general, will indicate that a drop bar is less comfortable. In that case, I'd recommend something like a Cannondale Quick 4, which you can pick up used for under $600. It's a 2x drivetrain, but that's really not a detriment, modern shifters will do everything you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cursedshitbox posted:

Cool. New page.

It seems people forgot who I used to be. Have a goddamned refresher.

http://imgur.com/a/PLUBi
http://imgur.com/a/kiF2c

Next time some people wanna talk some goddamn poo poo there will be third album full of csb's dick.

What spurred this? I need a backstory, because without context, it looks like the saddest post of the thread (even sadder than Enourmo's grades).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cursedshitbox posted:

Goons harrassing me offsite about what crazy i've stuck my dick in when I've far more important poo poo to deal with like grades, so I found a little window of time to upload a couple photos.

At least you've stuck your dick in things. A lot of the offsite goons are emblematic of the goony stereotype.

Carry on with doing stuff, that's better than others talking about you doing stuff.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

... they're blaming the Nest for "pulling too much juice". Wait, what? :laffo:

Silly STR, why'd you run the mains through your Nest?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So they torched it?

That's the only "prep" I can think of for that car...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Shocked about Cornell, I wonder what happened he was too young. Hopefully it wasn't a overdose, would make it even more sad :smith:

Reports are that he hanged himself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it's non running it could be something as simple as a hosed CAS or broken timing belt.

Even if the motor is totally lunched, it's WAY more than a fair trade.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mariooncrack posted:

Besides being ugly, why does the pt cruiser get so much hate?

Step back into the 1990s... Neons were lovely, unreliable and poorly designed so that servicing them sucked.

The PT Cruiser is a Neon underneath, with shittier design to make servicing them even suckier, along with poo poo production quality, poo poo materials and poo poo styling.

Other than that, they're okay, I guess.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

God loving drat it.

The power steering pump WASN'T the source of the whine. If it's the AC pulley I'm going to lose my loving mind.

Less than $5.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-super-long-screwdriver-set-34253.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Spent all day degreasing/depainting/cleaning my 1920s-ish 6" Reed vise. It's been taking up my workbench, disassembled for a couple months. Finally got some progress made, first coat of paint on and reassembled. I just need to get a new set screw and it'll be ready to vise again. drat those things are heavy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Here, have a clumsy collage of my juicero lifestyle experience, I have dodged crush injuries yet again:

Mmmm, purple drank

Spoof the door sensor with a magnet and see how far the platen pushes out.

In other news: I've never seen a paint build surface like POR15's Caliper Paint. I'm using it for the body of my vise and it's like putting putty on with a paintbrush. It's almost making the 100 year old cast metal that's been beat all to hell and back look too good!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ummm... so does CK if you want it.....? But to be honest in five years time I'd have lost the kit, I can barely find the allen key I just put own in a safe place.......

Here's a crazy thought -- maybe they're BOTH good hubs and the real challenge is to see that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And you accuse me of being a dick? Piss off.
How is that being a dick? They are both good hubs, and...

quote:

Well... I disagree with that assessment, mostly because Kings are built to do MTB style drop ins even in road form - the current R45's have outlasted two frames and three rims, which is not unusual for Ck's at all. I would contend they are a gold standard just by how much punishment they are proven to take and shrug it off.

your experience with exactly ONE set neither proves nor disproves anything in this fake "competition" you've created.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

beep-beep car is go posted:

Me too but the wife haaaaaaaaaaaates wagons. It took 10 years of being together for her to accept a hatchback. What I want is a early 70s american wagon, but I won't put my kids in it, so why bother.

My wife haaaaaaaaaaaates wagons, too. So I went and bought a Roadmaster wagon. :D Then, though, I sold the Roadmaster wagon and bought a Volvo XC90. Automotive / marital sanity.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

she seems to be all retriever

Not a damned thing wrong with that. Nice looking dog!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

TBH I'm usually paying far more attention to the dog.

She's honestly pretty, no need to be mean.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

I'm not. I just really like dogs.

I was kidding, TT really did marry and buy well beyond his snack bracket.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yo Gabba Gabba is always a pro choice, kids love it.

Yep, and it doesn't drive adults nuts. Also Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is a pro pick.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is a troll. No way you can be serious. Next you're going to suggest Caillou

Serious, it doesn't bother me. Caillou is loving forbidden in my house, though. That kid is a whiny, selfish dick.

redgubbinz posted:

Back in my day we watched Thomas the Tank Engine and we liked it.

When it was voiced by George Carlin, it was the loving best.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Almost every panel of your Saturn is a different color.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

They do, but go look at what university of michigan costs out of state (45 loving grand tuition only).
Also, I will say that if your kid is smart/jard working enough to get into the really big name privates, it would be really nice to actually be able to afford that. The networking opportunities are just loving amazing at like harvard, stanford, and yale -- it is a big part as to why my stanford and yale educated aunt is rich as gently caress. It has less to do with the quality of education, but the doors it opens.
If you make to much money for scholarships (but not enough to just pay easy) the $300k in debt is kinda a killer.

The really big league schools don't cost much to attend, they have endowments out the rear end to pay for everything. I was interviewed by MIT way back and they pretty much said "if you get in, don't worry about tuition, that's usually handled from grants/scholarships." But I didn't make the cut. :eng99:

And, speaking of cuts, my snip in the US didn't cost more than $100 all told with copays for office visits.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

This was 15 years ago though and maybe they've improved a bit.

My data is 15 years old, too, so I fully believe that my data is out of date. For sure, nothing has gotten better for students in this past 15 years.

• Locked thread