Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
HOLY poo poo THE MAY THREAD POSTED IN MAY

For those that are late;

This is a chat thread for anyone who reads AI. We talk about computers, life, how much alcohol we drink, how much weight Rhyno has lost, where it's finally getting loving cold in Australia and STR dodges tornados, Mad Max fan fiction and shipping Furiosa and one of the Wives, LITERALLY A FISH occasionally slam truth bombs while CAT INTERCEPTOR infects our minds and sends us all to the cycle asylum - leading an army of AI cyclists to slaughter hipsters on fixies, WE DONT TALK ABOUT GUNS, cry over the Trumpocopypse, wonder how the gently caress *insert idiot here* hasnt been reprogrammed with a baseball bat, we post cat pics, whatever! Just imagine this as one large garage and we are all pretending to work on some broken rear end Falcon Coupe or Subaru while talking poo poo about anything that comes up. Anyone who is just wandering by, stop and say hello! We don't bite and we're a pretty chilled out bunch of normal people. Except apparently when [list of topics you already know to avoid] comes up. anyway.

Either that or get engaged or get married. Seems to be a lot of that going round.

NOW STEP INTO MY GARAGE AND HELP ME FIX A BROKEN rear end SUBARU. OR CHAT. OR SINK PISS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

What the hell is this why are my ears bleeding

No THIS is our theme by Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pqn8PLJLtQ

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

Wait, you just didn't go and disrespect Tom Waits now did you?

Yes.

Who the gently caress is Tom Waits?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I don't want to go biking. With the elliptical I don't have to save anything for a return trip, I can run exactly as long as I am capable or want to. I can do 15 minute workouts, cool down for a minute and jump right into the weights. The convenience of it is part of my success thus far.

Simple - you take it easy going on the outbound / warmup then you give it hell coming back. I only did 16.2 kms but the last 10 minutes was progressively harder until I go 5 minutes at close to or over max effort. Fall off bike at front door.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Lol seriously? Im not really a fan of Tom waits but he's really loving famous and destinctive so idk how anyone born before the millennium couldn't have heard of him

I live in the arse end of the world - how can you not concieve that I've never heard of this person before... or that I would have zero interest outside being incredulous that anyone would think it's possible I've never heard of them before?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I moved a tv into the spare room and watch that while on the bike. I have also effected a massive life change in my activities and diet as well as the exercising.

And us mere mortals don't have 6 hours to ride a bike per day. Bike goons get defensive as hell.

Why do you think I get up at 4am and I'm in the office at 6? Cause I like the early shift?

It's not being defensive to correctly point out that successful and continuous weight loss and continued exercise is about lifestyle and continued success isnt usually done with machines.

As many cycling goons have found out, you get a bike and you will in a few months find out mere mortals quite regularly and easily find 6 hours to ride a bike. Married with kids, long work hours, prefer to stay in bed wanking, doesnt matter. Endorpins are awesome even in winter

quote:

Not all of us live in parts of the country / world that are nice most of the time

I would never bike here in Detroit because the weather, roads, and drivers all suck rear end and I will die to one or a combination of them

Actually that's just excuse making.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 1, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Ok but a winter in Melbourne is pretty different from a winter in Indiana

Excuses. GG when I was in Indiana 11 years ago in winter there were cyclists out there. Hell I would have had no hesitation in throwing a leg over a bike.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

I love exploring different areas. Plus everything changes all the time.
I did spin intervals for a while and it made me want to shoot myself.
Plus strava segments make things more fun.

I'll grit my teeth here and give Zwift a plug in that it makes being on a trainer bearable. Also helps getting my FTP numbers back to where I want them to.

But it doesnt beat outdoors. Even with the notoriously awful to cyclists traffic Sydney has (Seriously, it's developing the reputation as most bike hostile place in the world. I don't disagree) and the routes / segments I've done 500 times+ (I've ridden across the Sydney Harbour Bridge 150 times just by itself!)

Still tho, Zwift is a bearable alternative.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

We got these in Aus, sans the luxury stuff (I think), but available in an AWD coup, with the option of 323 GTX motor and badged as a Ford Laser TX3 Turbo.

Cool cars. I had the Mazda Astina N/A fwd one and even that was a laugh.

That's kinda the crap one tho (The GTX Mazda version was better). The earlier TX3 AWD (1.6 litre turbo) was esp at it's time one eye opening lil beastie. Actually was the first AWD turbo I ever drove and certainly left an impression. That pictured generation was bit understeery and not a throwable IMO

Reputation also suffered due to gearbox detonations ad the appearence of the Lancer GSR..... which was a whole new level of fast. And then not long after Subaru dropped the WRX annnnd we all know how that went.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

I dunno why but I've really taken to early AWD cars lately. I think it's to do with uncharted territory as I've never owned one, also I can't stop driving the Audi S1 in Assetto Corsa.

I've always kinda loved the ST205 but I assume that's even more understeery...

Well the early AWD's are touchy with gearboxes and boost. Also they tend to be centre diffs that are either full open or locked. You REALLY dont want to know what happens to a TX3 gearbox if you drive it locked on tarmac.......

I have good news on the Toyota GT4's. The ST165 is actually really friendly (open centre diff does that tho) and the ST205 is pretty drat good - I dont think it's much of a understeerer at all. In a lot of ways I actually prefer a ST205 over a WRX in stock form - it's a better built car and better interior, better gearbox and it def looks better. The issue for the ST205 in Aust was at the time the GT4 was offered at 80K while the WRX was 45K. Ummm.... yeah there is NOT twice the price difference between them. And certainly any performance advantage the ST205 had over the WRX vanished with the STI (which was still a lot cheaper).

I find it funny that the WRX in te early 90's was still looked at as huge bang for buck and yet 45K was a lot of coin then. Now look at WRX prices now and......... you can get one for LESS at the dealer so in real terms the price of a WRX has gone down quite a startling amount. 45K in 1994 is more like 80,000 now. Or in other terms, if you took the real value of a WRX today, it's the equivalent of 25000 in 1994. I cant think of any model car that has gone down in price like that in real terms.... 39K just seems to be a price point Subaru wont move from.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

Goons make the worst doctors. Lol at the quacks itt.

I'm trying to work out where the majority of replies being "gently caress Chiropractors, see a real goddamn doctor" makes for bad advice?

Actually it's pretty drat good to see a bunch of people say that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Just got a personal property city tax of $1100. Maybe I should go back to old, beat-up cars.

Sounds like you are playing Monopoly and got the worst Community Chest of all time

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

pr0craztinazn posted:

Don't forget that some counties in Virginia also tax pet ownership.

Ummmm..... what the gently caress? Pet ownership taxes??????

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

They're considered assets of your company, imagine being a billion dollar company and using assets to hide your money so you can operate at a loss but have a shitload of money in objects that don't lose value quickly or something else diabolical like that

You have not hidden your money, your assets that you have purchased will still appear on the balance sheet and thence be seen in the P/L statement as assets - if your yearly change in assets exceed your yeary change in liabilites still shows on your gross proift and is very taxable. Just because you apply liquid assets to buy less liquid assets is not diabolical or even that wrong. Applying your depreciation schedules incorrectly on the other hand is.

An asset is allowed to legally depreciate in value to reflect changes due to wear and tear. Most assets are on a 3 to 5 year write down schedule where they will have a target before sale value - thence if you buy a truck as part of a fleet, you get to write off a percentage of value over the schedule. That will mean that a truck for instance reaches a legally allowed percentage of the orignal value and this reduction in value reduces the assets on the P/L. If you realise a profit or loss on sale of asset over or under the book value.... *shrug*

But jsut buying assets is not hiding your moeny.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 4, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

What if you tape bundles of cash to the bottom of the desks?

Have you declared value of said cash in the your ledger?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

They're uh, paperweights.

As long as they are correctly valued, you are good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I installed Strava. A week ago. I'm going to try to get out on the bike tonight, even if it's only a little 2-3k loop.

Post link so I can kudos

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm more wondering how bloody big a hole do you need to bury a horse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

everdave posted:

I am contemplating making a police report. Am trying to objectively look at it from all sides. My wife was furious at me for not complying with the rent a cops demands. Please anyone comment good or bad. Was I in the wrong? There is no law or requirement I stop for funeral but it is a practice here.

You are NOT in the wrong. You dont have to comply with funeral protocol on a road. And you sure as gently caress don't have to listen to a dumb idiot rent a cop operating way beyond their sphere of authority.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Speaking of combat vehicles I saw this on my way to work

A line of about a dozen of them, all driven by army dudes.

What the gently caress are you doing taking pictures while driving.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

fat bottom girls on loop for 3 hours

Bicycle Race

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm trying to figure out how vacation pay costs the company more/less than actually working, and I'm failing. When I've taken vacation, taxes were still taken out of my paycheck, and the company had to pay for it directly out of their own coffers.

It's an accrued liability that increases outstanding debt. The less you have outstanding the better the P/L looks.

Mine is umm...... GG I'll probably be ordered to take September off. I think mine is about to broach 40 days.

And also... holy gently caress what the hell just happened in the USA???? I'm now prepared to believe the piss tape is real

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elon Musk is a giant turd and I hope his business fails

You can gently caress right off

Seminal Flu posted:

From this chart, it already is (except for the one quarter where they cooked the gently caress out of the books). Wall Street just has a giant chub for Tesla. It's going to bring us all down.

And you cant read a set of accounts and swallowed the bullshit short sellers have been trying to spruike. Meanwhile, those that CAN read a set of accounts see a very viable business in the midst of a huge expansion that has Amazon-like potential.

Take a lesson in P/L becuase you sound like one of those idiots who likewise shat on Amazon for never making a profit for years who clearly didnt read the P/L properly..... and got utterly eaten alive by said Amazon. So let me make this clear so the financially illiterate can understand - on a day to day operating level, Tesla are very much a good and viable company. The losses are solely about expenditure on expansion and R/D. On purely sale of products, Tesla makes a gross margin of 25% per car which is drat near unheard of.

Also more importantly, Tesla have reported in guidance (and you do NOT gently caress about with guidance calls) that they dont believe they need any more finance injections. THAT is the best sign they are more than viable and are set to reap in the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

Take that righteous attitude and gently caress right off.

And just wait until their "$35k car" hits the market that you can't touch for under $60k, and their production hits a solid 1/3 of what they've promised.

No, I drat well wont. You are the one who is posting complete crap and you got called out for it. So again I will put it bluntly - learn how to read a real P/L before sprouting the same poo poo short sellers have been trying to pedal.

The absolute worse anyone can say about Tesla's promises is that they deliver 1- 3 years later than they think they can. So yes actually, there is every likelihood they will deliver what they have said they will given their track record and they have a very viable business in the middle of a huge expansion.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I work in NDA

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

"You wanted a cheap lovely car right? We just got a new van so we were gonna ditch the PT. It's awful and needs a bottle of PS fluid every week. Yours if you want it."

So uh, anybody want to do that AI Rally?

LS3 the bitch

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So I just road raged on hardcore and I have no idea why. I had to run back to work and fix something real quick and on the return trip I passed some cars in the left lane and a truck (turned out to be an Avalanche) started riding my rear end, honking and flashing his lights. So I hit it and pulled away but he persisted. I got to my exit and barely hit the brakes and well, he must have thought he was driving a different car because he took the exit curve at full speed and ran right off the highway. I have no idea if they wrecked or are dead. gently caress em.

How is that a road rage on your half? It sounds more like gave a douchebag a lesson in not being stupid.

Unless you mean you got road raged then that is especially (NELSON) HA HA!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

FREE T CRUISER

You paid too much for it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Placebo Affect. It actually might all be in your head.

No offense, but pseudoscientific conspiracy theories about doctors is not helping anyone, and yes, the medical marijuana poo poo is largely a bunch of pseudoscience. Its only real proven effect is the ability to aleviate naseau for chemo patients. But it doesn't have good credibility at all yet, partially because study of it is largely restricted in the US, but also because its just a bunch of legalization groups (which I support) spreading nonsense articles about 'OMG It cures Cancer, It Cures Crohns, IT CURES EVERYTHING!' and keep shooting the legalization movement in the foot with New Age woo.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to buy into that.

Diet and exercise DOES affect outcomes or even when disease starts... or IF it even starts in the first place. This is straight out science that over and over again shows that diet and exercise most certainly does help and can even be a complete fix to symptoms. And drug treatments often (rarely admittedly) just flat out dont work on the other hand, depending not just on the issue but on the basic gut makeup geneitcally and bacteria present let alone the other huge range of variables.

So do not dismiss diet changes as a placebo. It's plainly not according to the science. You milage may vary tho as again, everyone is different and the only two rules of diet that are pretty much true for anyone is that simple sugars in excess are really bad and you will lose weight if your calorie intake is less than your calorie burn.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I should've bought a cyclo cross bike really, I bought a road bike and ride it like my mountainbike and it's not quite up to the task. I exploded a spoke nipple out of the rim a couple of weeks ago, killed a set of (obviously faulty) carbon forks and the bars are bent slightly. I'm in 'buy new bits or replace bike?' mode

It's not unknown for me to use my road bike offroad. Other than tyre width, there's really not that much that makes a cyclocross bike that much better for light offroading. Now I'm sure someone will go but but but.... sorry but hardly anyone will know the difference riding a cyclocross bike vs a roadie.

Exactly like that. The only thing I'd want is disc brakes and I'd have no problem with it on a fire trail. This frame has 22,000 kms on it, the shifters 50,000, the deraileurs 30,000, front cluster and cranks 25,000 and the bars 29,000. Okay I'm not going to go single trail mad drops on it but there's no reason why a road bike cant do gravel.

That is also my commuter bike and it gets a right battering and a lot of potholes and gutter jumping. And hey, road bike party shows a roadie can take a HUGE hammering and shrug it off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

So apparently the U.S. Government is much like STR's AC. Put together by idiots and melting down spectacularly tonight :stare:

I keep on asking myself "surely it cant get worse"

And it does. Oh my it gets soooooo much worse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Flynn is drat near textbook treason (Aiding a comforting enemies, which ISIS certainly is). No wonder he was desperate for immunity.

Holy gently caress this has gone waaaaay beyond dumpster fire.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

2017 got Cornell? gently caress

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Roger Ailes also died?

Ha.

Haha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GOOD gently caress you you rabid woman assaulting democracy destroying piece of poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hannity is currently on twitter defending him

No surprise. I wonder how many women Hannity has bashed?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/im-sorry-to-report-that-roger-ailes-ever-lived-1795334754

"An rear end in a top hat is not a brilliant visionary just because a toilet has a bottomless appetite for what comes out of it."

poetry

I want to frame this

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I like Budweiser :cheers:

I had a Budweiser once.

Never loving again. I might joke about beer being bottled cat piss but cat piss is better than Budweiser. How in God's name can anyone drink that swill?? GG Fosters is better and that's just hosed up beer to say the least.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Do you even drink? I thought you don't touch alcohol.

That's like a non smoker saying Newports suck lol.

You thought wrong. I just dont a) make a regular habit of it and b) might only at best a couple a year.

Unlike alcohol a non smoker can taste what a smoker is having however. Alcohol doesnt have second hand smoke unless you are in the habit of drinking human piss

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Galler posted:

To be fair, I'm not sure what else you would do in Indiana.

Pray to Jesus that all them men dressing as women would get struck down by a lightning bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I predict few will care because the majority of people don't give a gently caress or understand what 'an internet' is or why the opportunity to turn it into a closed-off North Korea level service is something the Tories would love to do.

*edit: though part of me wants to believe she's trying to throw away a chance of election simply because the clusterfuck that's Brexit can then be blamed on Labour...

Oh Lord no, she truly wants all the survellience state. To her 1984 is an operating manual and she has a looooong and terrifying history of wanting to control the Internet exactly like say North Korea.

• Locked thread