Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I said none of those things, so I'm not sure how to respond. I remarked that identity politics as a term is an attempt to make civil rights sound worse. They're literally the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And that's how alien Kurt Russell made love to the entire universe.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

I said none of those things, so I'm not sure how to respond. I remarked that identity politics as a term is an attempt to make civil rights sound worse. They're literally the same thing.

Well, again: exactly. You consider identity politics and civil rights the same thing, when the latter is a term for the appropriation and 'decaffeination' of what are typically left-wing, radical, egalitarian politics by liberal centrists. 'Civil Rights' implies the progressive struggle for social and economic equality, whereas identity politics largely/entirely omits the economic aspect.

What you've voiced in your posts is exactly the definition of postpolitical biopolitics, which basically means maximizing security under liberalism.

In the pop-culture sphere, the difference was dramatized in Rogue One - a film very similar to Guardians Of The Galaxy, but with an opposite message. The political radicals in the Rogue One crew have their work and sacrifice appropriated by liberals, then are erased from history. As a contrast, the self-pitying (and stridently apolitical) mercenaries of the Milano help the liberals to kill all the terrorists, then win a new car.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You shouldn't have indicted my politics and belittled my movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LividLiquid posted:

They're literally the same thing.

Well no, that's just an equivocation.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, again: exactly. You consider identity politics and civil rights the same thing, when the latter is a term for the appropriation and 'decaffeination' of what are typically left-wing, radical, egalitarian politics by liberal centrists. 'Civil Rights' implies the progressive struggle for social and economic equality, whereas identity politics largely/entirely omits the economic aspect.

What you've voiced in your posts is exactly the definition of postpolitical biopolitics, which basically means maximizing security under liberalism.

In the pop-culture sphere, the difference was dramatized in Rogue One - a film very similar to Guardians Of The Galaxy, but with an opposite message. The political radicals in the Rogue One crew have their work and sacrifice appropriated by liberals, then are erased from history. As a contrast, the self-pitying (and stridently apolitical) mercenaries of the Milano help the liberals to kill all the terrorists, then win a new car.

Here ya go folks. Nothing interesting to say but if you just bury your opponent with enough buzz words they'll just give up in frustration.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

My boyfriend forced me to watch this movie about a week ago, and I gotta say I'm decidedly lukewarm on G2. The jokes where kinda grating during the first half of the movie, probably because they had so many of them that was pretty much the same thing ("witty" obnoxious dialogue, followed by Drax laughing and yelling the obvious punchline, or Groot being "cute") and everyone is pretty unlikeable and obnoxious.
Once they land on Ego things improve, I think it's because the plot moves along and the jokes are more spaced out, which helps a lot cause their humor got really grating at this point. While I did dislike Drax's jokes in the first half of the movie, I did enjoy his interactions with mantis lady, and Starlords interaction with dad was neat as well.

However, the parts with Rocket and that blue guy where terrible.So maudlin and predictable, and the way they try to make us feel sympathy for these very unlikable characters is incredibly transparent. Yeah, his mary poppins line was funny, but they tried to make me feel bad for a child trafficker and a sociopathic raccoon, by way of saying "these guys had a tragic childhood, feel bad for them! boohoo!". Also all the parts with Groot had me rolling my eyes because holy poo poo talk about running a joke into the loving ground.

So in conclusion: Drax + Mantis was fun, Chris + Ego was fun and touching, Garona was just there, her sister was cool though, racoon + blue man was terrible and bad, and Groot is so loving overexposed I hope I never loving see him again.
Half this movie was good, half this movie was terrible, which is a step down from the last movie where it was mostly good with some problematic ideas in regards to its heroes.

That's my hot take, thank you and god bless

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like that reading of rogue one a lot and think it fits pretty square . It salvaged the ending for me .

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

McCloud posted:

However, the parts with Rocket and that blue guy where terrible.So maudlin and predictable, and the way they try to make us feel sympathy for these very unlikable characters is incredibly transparent. Yeah, his mary poppins line was funny, but they tried to make me feel bad for a child trafficker and a sociopathic raccoon, by way of saying "these guys had a tragic childhood, feel bad for them! boohoo!"

Clearly didn't have a child trafficking blue dad.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Super Fan posted:

Here ya go folks. Nothing interesting to say but if you just bury your opponent with enough buzz words they'll just give up in frustration.

Egalitarianism is a term from the 1800s.
Ideology is 1800s, popularized early 1900s.
Biopolitics is from 1905.
Etc.

'Toxic Masculinity' is a recent perjorative rewording of 'hegemonic masculinity' (a term from 1987), that omits/erases the concept of hegemony for some reason. The first hit on Google is the Geek Feminism Wiki, discussing videogame protagonists. Google Trends says it exploded in popularity around 2015. I haven't been able to find a source from earlier than 2014.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well no, that's just an equivocation.
Congrats on falling for the latest bullshit republican reframing. Next, would you care to tell me all about about virtue signaling and cultural marxism?

Egalitarianism is a term from the 1800s.
Ideology is 1800s, popularized early 1900s.
Biopolitics is from 1905.
Etc.

'Toxic Masculinity' is a recent perjorative rewording of 'hegemonic masculinity' (a term from 1987), that omits/erases the concept of hegemony for some reason. The first hit on Google is the Geek Feminism Wiki, discussing videogame protagonists. Google Trends says it exploded in popularity around 2015. I haven't been able to find a source from earlier than 2014.
Ok, so new, better descriptors of existing phenomena are only valid if they're old. Got it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LividLiquid posted:

Congrats on falling for the latest bullshit republican reframing. Next, would you care to tell me all about about virtue signaling and cultural marxism?

How are identity politics and civil rights describing the same thing?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

Ok, so new, better descriptors of existing phenomena are only valid if they're old. Got it.

1) SuperFan was complaining about buzzwords. Concepts that have been in use for over a hundred years are not buzzwords, by definition.

2) When you modify political terms to render them vague and apolitical (so that you are no longer talking about hegemony but instead about videogame trope, for example) that does make the terms less valid.

The basic implication of using 'toxic masculinity' instead of 'hegemonic masculinity' is that you no longer believe patriarchy is hegemonic.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

effortlessly and with ballerina grace I pirouette and - in a single, fluid motion- strip my sociologist costume to reveal my guise as Cletus the Hillbilly, jeering YEW CAN'T FOOL ME WITH THEM FANCY rear end COLLEGE WORDS BOY

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How are identity politics and civil rights describing the same thing?
Because when I say I shouldn't be murdered for being queer, people tell me to stop talking about identity politics.

It's the same bullshit that was thrown at pro-Civil Rights people in the 60s to suppress dissent with a new coat of paint, because that's how people do.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

Because when I say I shouldn't be murdered for being queer, people tell me to stop talking about identity politics.

It's the same bullshit that was thrown at pro-Civil Rights people in the 60s to suppress dissent with a new coat of paint, because that's how people do.

We understand that you are living in fear, but that does not make what you are saying correct.

This biopolitics, an apolitical 'politics of fear', is perfectly in line with the liberal status quo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:yikes:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

See, that's how you make a thread all about MEEEEEE.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Dave Bautista's shtick in this movie is really easy but it still got me about 85% of the time. The Groot doesn't know what a fin is also got me.

Taserface was pretty weak though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Taserface slayed my teenage daughters. But then, they are teenagers.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Your daughters are clearly unfamiliar with the tenets of Marxist literary theory then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Taserface sounds like the name of a forgotten 80's slasher villain, but maybe one who didn't quite understand he was supposed to kill all of the teens.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

porfiria posted:

Your daughters are clearly unfamiliar with the tenets of Marxist literary theory then.

And how!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I like toxic masculinity because it's a middle class concept that basically demands a blanket condemnation of the working classes.

Case in point, the group representing "toxic masculinity" is Yondu's crew, a bunch of proletarian freaks who all die in favour of the self-pitying ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm not sure if the Ravagers are proletariat, unless pirates count as part of that. Piratariat.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I guess part of the reason CineD is lost on me sometimes is that I'm a middle class reactionary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If I wasn't still kinda hungover I'd be trying to come up with more Marxist pirate jokes. Maybe I need to consult C-SPAM.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I like toxic masculinity because it's a middle class concept that basically demands a blanket condemnation of the working classes.

Case in point, the group representing "toxic masculinity" is Yondu's crew, a bunch of proletarian freaks who all die in favour of the self-pitying ones.

It's amazing how many things you're wrong about while still being really boring.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I few people tried really hard to get us off this by doing the exact right thing: recognizing that I was getting nowhere with SMG, and talking about something else.

Follow suit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The whole Taserface bit came off like something out of a UK sitcom.

Rocket laughing at it so much kind of killed the joke though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like people clowning on delusional idiots so that part made me laugh.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like to make the Taserface joke work you just need to push it more, make it even sillier, although I guess they're trying to walk the line of this guy maybe plausibly thinking the name sounds cool.

Edit: Maybe get around that by having "poopoohead" mean awesome warrior on Kranglac VI or whatever. Hire me James Gunn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I expected he had some alien power to shoot electricity from his face or something.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

It's amazing how many things you're wrong about while still being really boring.

You can simply point out what you think is wrong.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm not sure if the Ravagers are proletariat, unless pirates count as part of that. Piratariat.

What social class do you think pirate crews come from?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

I feel like to make the Taserface joke work you just need to push it more, make it even sillier, although I guess they're trying to walk the line of this guy maybe plausibly thinking the name sounds cool.

Edit: Maybe get around that by having "poopoohead" mean awesome warrior on Kranglac VI or whatever. Hire me James Gunn.

"Taserface" was chosen because he's an actual character from a Marvel comic from the 60's or 70's.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Inescapable Duck posted:

I expected he had some alien power to shoot electricity from his face or something.

It's metaphorical.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

I guess part of the reason CineD is lost on me sometimes is that I'm a middle class reactionary.

Ask your doctor about this.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

No argument about the IRL function of "toxic masculinity" but thieves and kidnappers are lumpenproles; they produce no value with their labor and marxists as a rule aren't big fans. Their machismo is that of the thug, it doesn't distinguish them as blue-collar. GOTG is a fantasy of a world without a working class; nothing is ever made except garbage bombs, the only jobs that exist are "cop" and "corpse scavenger", economics and commerce are effectively erased; the galaxy simply passively exists to be blown up by children. Hell, Ego is a straight-up god who can simply will anything he imagines into existence, and uses this power to create... a couple balls and a fake shrine to his dead ex-girlfriend to scam a guy

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 7, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

No argument about the IRL function of "toxic masculinity" but thieves and kidnappers are lumpenproles; they produce no value with their labor and marxists as a rule aren't big fans. Their machismo is that of the thug, it doesn't distinguish them as blue-collar. GOTG is a fantasy of a world without a working class; nothing is ever made except garbage bombs

It's really a "by default" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

thieves and kidnappers are lumpenproles; they produce no value with their labor and marxists as a rule aren't big fans.

Yeah... they don't like the competition :xd:

• Locked thread