Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DC Murderverse posted:

Was anyone else not particularly charmed by Baby Groot? It was very clear to me that the week after the first Guardians came out and everyone flipped a poo poo over him in the credits (which was a cute/fun little joke) that Disney went to Gunn and said "Groot's a baby now" and Gunn just rolled with it. I think a couple of the jokes about his stupidity were fun but it really does feel like a very focus group decision.

I was initially more harsh on the film because of the intro put me off and I became a jaded rear end in a top hat. The intro of 1 really told you what kind of movie you were getting, the opening is very emotional, then transistions to a sci fi epic, then bam, "Come and Get Your Love" starts playing, and it's hilarious. The intro to 2 felt so bland and then it translations to baby groot dancing while all the action is ignored, it's like the plot had to stop to sell me a toy commericial, so I was just sort of cynical.

Given time to reflect I did come to really liking it. I like character stories, especially when all the marvel movies can focus on being BIG and WORLD ENDING, some personal time with characters I like was really nice. The secondary characters and Kurt Russel loving killed it as well. I still don't think it hit quite the heights of the first one but if the third can combine the strength of act 1 and 2 of gotg1 with act 3 of gotg 2 itd be a damned fine movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I liked both of them; they're really dumb but in a funny way. The latter especially is like everybody being "a-holes," it fits in.

It also brings to mind the reaction I had when I saw the original. The police lineup scene where Quill does the wind-up and raises his middle finger was censored in the trailer, and I was actually disappointed that it wasn't covered in the movie as well. Some things are funnier implied than explicit.

Yeah but "implied" only works when you're bleeping out what could conceivably a dozen or so different words and letting your mind fill in the gap. The middle finger is...pretty explicit, it's not really telling you anything your mind didn't know by censoring it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Uh, unless I'm missing something, the film version of Mantis is neither Asian nor is her actress? She's a spacebug lady

Her actress is half-Asian. In the movie yes, her character is an alien but in the original comics her character is actually half-Vietnamese, which is how this discussions got started.

• Locked thread