Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Movie was a nice ride through a funhouse that seemed to exist to explain then hastily remove complaints about the ending of Guardians vol 1.

The zune joke hit way to close to home in my three zune household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yondu is the heart of the movie, which is a shame he doesnt get more screen time.

The film is also all about Family and now I believe the key to making a billion dollars at the cinema is to have Vin Diesel and a cast of characters call each other family a bunch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I await Vin Diesel as Supreme Lord Snoke's True Identity in Star Wars 9: Skywalker Family Reunion.

We arent Jedi, were family.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

howe_sam posted:

The Chain kicking on when Peter smashed Ego was pretty badass. And the whole plot revolved around Brandy. That said, it did feel like they let scenes run long so they could play more of the songs. I'm thinking specifically of the opening and Yondu's funeral.

Father and Son is one of the best songs in the English language so Im pretty happy it didnt get truncated.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is literally an extended shot showing all the crew that have been shoved out the airlock that were loyal to Yondu, which is also a helpful callback thread for the ending.

The overhead shot of the arrow flying through the ship gave me wicked Doom Map/Spectator Camera flashbacks which is not a shot I recall in a film previousy so that was neat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

raditts posted:

on the subject of soundtrack chat, can we talk about how Peter is the result of his mom gettin' down with an alien, and his mom nicknamed him Starlord, but across her two mixtapes there's only one Bowie song and it's not Starman?

Peters mom has better taste than that, shocking, I know

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Why doesn't he just go to earth and steal a bunch of new music? They got a space ship.

It comes up with Ego, his mom died there its why hes never gone back.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

As I've mentioned earlier, he interprets the song incorrectly, which emphasizes how he bends his surroundings to fuel his own desires.

Its this, and witthout this sequence where he paints his best positive spin the revelation regarding him and Peters Mom would not have felt so sharply contrasted. Its a lull of false motivations.

Also it juxtaposes extremely well with the Yondu, Father and Son, which is a dead on for what Yondu and Peters relationship was like, unlike Ego and his willful bending of his relationship within Brandy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

More people died in Quinns missouri hometown from Ego than died in the entire battle of New York in Avengers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While the Pac-Punch was dumb, it is a direct call to the list of things Quill plans to make when he masters his powers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

21 Muns posted:

So, uh, why couldn't Ego have moved Peter and his mom to live with him on Ego Planet? To be clear, I don't think this is a flaw with the film; any kind of reasoning Ego lays out for his actions is just an excuse for being an awful person who doesn't care about anything other than himself.

Her existence demotivated his plan because she was interesting enough he didnt want to make the entire universe himself, it didnt strictly matter where she was. Rather than ponder that idea, he killed her.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I believe that was what you were supposed to take away from that, yeah. The only thing different about Peter's situatio was he had the stuff and Yondu quit working for Ego at that point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres nothing to support the idea that Ego loved Peters mom any differently than the other parents, except Ego who is established as lying and contorting truth to motivate his children. In fact, Id argue that Mantis acting as though everything was happening as it always did is extremely strong evidence that Egos spiel doesnt change from child to child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Someone earlier asked for an example of where Ego actually lies. Does he?

Ego is a liar in the same sense that Obi-wan is a liar, he carefully chooses words and witholds information to be factually true from a certain point of view. He "never hurts the children" because he kills them instantly which Yondu rightfully thinks is horseshit. He "truly loved peters mom" but he kills her. He claims to care for peter, but again thats the power Peter has not who he is. He is, at minimum, extremely manipulative and as such theres no real reason to take anything he says at face value.

• Locked thread