Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Count me as surprised at the critical reaction saying it was worse than the first; other than a cluttered 3rd act I thought it was actually better and rounded out a lot of the characters. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrendianaJones posted:

James Gunn has said he and Marvel have plans to see more of Stallone and his crew in the future. He's not sure about Vol. 3, but since Marvel wants to do more with the cosmic stuff, maybe a solo movie?

From the sci-fi look, my guess is possibly Thor Ragnarok.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

I haven't really seen or heard of a positive depiction of functioning sexuality in any of the Marvel films, in what I've seen and heard, it's an uncomfortable, disruptive force at best. I'd be open to counter-examples, though, because there's plenty of films I just haven't seen.

I think it's just there's no need for romance-based sex scenes in PG-13 action movies. Frankly there's no need for sex scenes in most R rated action movies that have them, just gratuitous romance plots that drive you up a loving wall. Something like Fury Road would not have been improved by Max shagging Furosia, and that's what most of that poo poo ends up being. The best ones do a little bit of tension at most, and leave it at that.

It's not true for every story, and it's a lot more addressed in the slightly grittier Netflix series where you're following the characters for a longer period of time. And there's been plenty of examples in the movies, too. It's just that it's never been a shoehorned in thing, and I in no way can fault them for that. Leave the romance/sex scenes for places they're appropriate and don't bother with them in places they're really unnecessary.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Also Mantis' backstory is dire in the comics according to wikipedia.

Also I wish movies would take note. This is how you insert an Asian character into your film.

Nobody would cry pandering if they were interesting and worked with the plot, but 99% of the time they're shoved in to appease international audiences and made to stand around in the background doing NOTHING (See: Kong Skull Island). Mantis was a great character and I wish there were more actual roles for Asian characters that aren't some kind of insert-mandate. I bet Asia does too.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I liked Drax in this one. I got the impression he still doesn't quite grasp humor and is overcompensating by laughing too hard at things.

I think he just caught on to the concept of humor and legitimately finds everything a maximum amount of funny. This is kind of backed when Mantis mentions she's never "felt such humor." The team snapped him out of his brooding phase and now he just legitimately finds stuff hilarious no matter how funny it is. You might kill him if you gave him a Madlib book.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 12, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Whitey posted:

I just saw this and liked it way better than the first one. It was consistently more funny and did a much better job telling the story of a surrogate family. It also looked a ton better and made better use of the supporting characters like Nebula and Yondou. Really impressed, this is the first James Gunn movie I've seen that I can say is good without reservation (admittedly I've only seen 3 total including this).

You should watch Super if you want a really funny James Gunn movie that's before Guardians. It's loving DARK as hell though, so be warned.

And I agree. There seems a 50/50 divide with Guardians 2 of people who really like it better than the first (including myself) and people who think it's not quite as good. There's good points to both movies, of course, but I thought the characters had way more meat on this time and that was more important to me than a 20 minute planet dogfight. Yondu freaking stole the show though, I'll miss him in the next one.

• Locked thread