Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Maaannnn Yondu :( Best part of the movie. Please bring him back some how.

So, it took me a minute to realize what bothered me about this one and it hit me...it didn't feel like it moved the whole MARVEL story. At all. It was a bunch of amazing little scenes, one after another, that didn't really feel like they connected in the big picture.

I feel like maybe Ego's spore or whatever swallowing part of Missouri will at least get worked into explaining how (in addition to Thanos of course) the Guardians get connected to the other big MCU players for Infinity War - maybe via Dr. Strange or Thor & Hulk's Excellent Space Adventure?

That aside, as long as we get to see Rocket be totally unimpressed with Tony's cute little toys and whatnot, i'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sure, the set looks nice, the directing is there, the acting is sufficient, but better things have been done with cinema.

Okay, great, you've said this several ways, several times now. Anything else?

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

taiyoko posted:

Been kind of interested in more backstory on all sorts of things in this, but it seems that the MCU has enough departures from the comics that reading up on character histories from the comics is pretty much useless.

I wouldn't say it's useless exactly, I find it interesting to compare the differences if nothing else, and it can help you catch easter eggs sometimes. Given me a kick to start reading a few series that i've really enjoyed also.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

A bunch more redundant pics and exposition

You're not 100% a pedantic dick. But you're getting close.

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, you can call anything shallow and surface-level. It didn't stop me from crying during a loving Marvel movie.

I lost my dad a couple years back, and a heartbreaking A-plot about fathers and sons was not what I was expecting.

Yeah, this hit me harder than I expected, especially the "He may have been your father, but he wasn't your daddy" line, because my wife basically went through the same thing (aside from space pirates) being raised by a foster father. First time i've teared up like that at a movie in a while

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 8, 2017

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Yakmouth posted:

I don't know that I believe anyone is 100% a pedantic dick, 'mam.

:getin:

howe_sam posted:

Vol 1 is on FX and they just did that line. Vol 2 really did miss John C Reilly

And yeah, I was thinking the same thing, especially since I was re-reading a bunch of Nova comics lately.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I swear I'm not being a contrarian for the sake of it when I say that those two shots from MoS are ugly. The second one has a nice green with uses of red, but it's pretty basic framing and it's Color Theory 101. You just need a color wheel for them.

I agree, those shots from HG2G are nice, the second one is a clever site gag, but neither are better than either Guardians movies. If you want to debate on whether or not HG2G had a good aesthetic, I won't. It's a very good movie based on it's set design, color design, puppetry, etc. I also specifically said in the post you quoted "There aren't levels of Guardians creativity within the MCU or DCU". I could very easily point to a movie that looks better than Guardians of the Galaxy outside of the rubrik of comic-book based movies, like The Eyes of My Mother, but then I'd lean back towards Guardians strong-point, which is character interaction beyond quips and arguments, where they aren't trying to please the audience every second, where the jokes (while not necessarily all landing), are all well within the characterization, and where they actually feel like there is relationship developing, where personalities clash. MoS and HG2G, the movies you keep wanting to jerk off, don't even manage that. In fact, HG2G wasn't as good as the book because it lost the charming character interactions and wit that makes them work in the book.

Hell, if you want to go by sheer amount of work that went into it, Zack Snyder just directs, and he lifts frames directly from his comic books. James Gunn researched the hell out of every era of Guardians and other Cosmic Marvel comic he could get his hands on just for material to create an original story from it. From there, there's a lot of personal stuff going on that, if you read any interview with him, is there. He wrote, directed, and cast the movie while also opening up the world for more installments, which he's helped plan it out. Snyder can't write. At all. James Gunn wrote Snyder's best movie. I don't even think Snyder gets a big say-so on the casting of his films, since DC execs are infamous for pushing their own agenda.

Just try and ignore Lamps, dude - I know it's hard to resist, but at this point either he's trolling or he's just super obtuse and determined to post screencaps until the end of time regardless.

In other news, I put Mr. Blue Sky on during today's bright & sunny commute, and things were good :toot:

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Dexo posted:

Cant wait for that Zune to have all of the hottest 90s or early 00's pop music on it.

Weapon of Choice, maybe?

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

kater posted:

I don't like it much when they curse, ever.

Doesn't bother me much, I do think it might have been better with the "d'ast", "flark", etc. from the comics, but I can see why they did what they did.

Given what they're supposed to be dealing with, it would bother me more if they *didn't* curse, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

GoldfishStew posted:

I can't believe the battery thing was what set off the whole movie. Rocket is money hungry but not stupid. He's extremely smart and tactically that just wasn't worth the risk and I can't believe it was what propelled the movie.

Much like whoever was complaining about the cursing earlier - he's a raccoon, of course he steals poo poo just because it's there, it's what they do. Not saying it's perfect, but no real belivability problem on that point for me.

• Locked thread