Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You missed the important part - the splash of colour is the actual field of action. This is why the whole circular movement is important instead of just things angling towards Gamora. It's even emphasised with the ship circling back to get inside the cave.

Revised opinion: it's an average shot in the end.

e:

I notice that you emphasise "design" as opposed to "composition" or "visual storytelling". The strength of the GotG movies's visual is their high level of technical polish, so yes, they are well-designed in that sense. But they're otherwise rather mediocre. This is reflected in the basic thematics: when summarizing what happens onscreen, people say fairly banal things about family and friendship.

The problem you're running into is that your highly reductive ideology means that if you concede the shot is good then you're on a slippery slope to thinking the movie is good. So you have to retreat to weird ideas that the shot is both "well designed" and "technically polished" (???) and "bad storytelling." Which is then circularly justified by claiming that people are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Killing and/or loving people is like...what being human is all about.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Dave Bautista's shtick in this movie is really easy but it still got me about 85% of the time. The Groot doesn't know what a fin is also got me.

Taserface was pretty weak though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Your daughters are clearly unfamiliar with the tenets of Marxist literary theory then.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I guess part of the reason CineD is lost on me sometimes is that I'm a middle class reactionary.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like to make the Taserface joke work you just need to push it more, make it even sillier, although I guess they're trying to walk the line of this guy maybe plausibly thinking the name sounds cool.

Edit: Maybe get around that by having "poopoohead" mean awesome warrior on Kranglac VI or whatever. Hire me James Gunn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Franchescanado posted:

"Taserface" was chosen because he's an actual character from a Marvel comic from the 60's or 70's.

Dear God.

• Locked thread