Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just realized the Mary poppins reference was not random at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You wouldn't freeze in space anyway . It makes visual sense tho . That's what counts .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

seriously though why did ego have to give his baby mama brain cancer? i liked that quill immediately went guns blazing once it sunk in but going straight from the twist to the action kinda left the 'why' hanging in the air

Because he loved her and that love was keeping him from his goal of dominating the universe.

I think he said that outright .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The character named ego loved himself the most. You see.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gamora immediately asks why and has a bad feeling about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Their ship was being repaired. They didn't have a ship.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it was a joke post.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ego was shown as a brain encased in the heart of a planet. Seems pretty solipsistic idk.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It happened after mantis was knocked out and ego woke up iirc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

On second viewing this is probably the best Marvel movie on balance.

Not that that's a super high bar but still.

Thor 1 is still tops imho but im a sucker for shakespeare.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do filmmakers even think of "tropes" or are they just popular in a particular corner of the internet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He did love the mom tho. It wasn't 100% evil

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I don't think Ego's love for Meredith or Peter was feigned at all. He genuinely loved both of them. That was the problem. That's why he had to kill a Meredith. One of the main ideas through the movie is that you can't be a god and a man. Ego realized that, if he continued to stay on Earth and love Meredith, he would become too human to carry out his "make everything me" plan. So he killed her to remove even the temptation. He chooses to be a god. Peter chooses to be a man.

Exactly . It was pretty well done. The heel turn was well supported.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why is it obvious bullshit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disagree that the movie didn't do it well. He had "human" parts and "god" parts and they conflicted. Just like in normal life people have selfish and selfless desires conflict all the time. And these conflicts break up families all the time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ego actually loved peter's mom so his demigod genes passed to peter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ego knew he had ego genes, he just wasn't sure if peter could connect to the light of the planet.

(He heard someone held an infinity stone w/o blowing up and came looking right away).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

T

Hobo Clown posted:

Could the Infinity Stone have anything to do with it? Being Ego's kid meant Peter didn't get fried when he touched it, and at the same time made him more powerful than his celestial half-siblings?

Since the next scene had them playing catch I'm going with the power of love.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He also uses his son as a battery to take over the universe with blue blob.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right. He only loved peter when peter fit in to his selfish world view.

This happens in families and the real world all the time. It's very sad. They did a good job in the movie interjecting some real feels into a space musical.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ego also annihilates the upper class snobs armada .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One guardian does die in the movie so....

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If they follow the comic book story yeah. Which looks likely .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were waiting for the ship to be repaired. That is correct. It was in the plot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh I see. I was interested. Lots was going on. Did the gsmora nebula story not work for you ? For example .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The Star Wars prequels and the Guardians of the Galaxy movies are both drawing inspiration from similar sources. Here's some Bob Eggleton paintings from the 70s Sci-Fi Art tumblr that have similar imagery or color choices:

And Chris Foss was a spaceship designer on the first movie. Not that I don't think Star Wars was an influence, but I think these movies take enough influence from other, similar places it just seems a little simplistic to say it's taking influence from Attack of the Clones. It's taking more obvious influence from North by Northwest.

Also here's some unused concept art for Ego's planet.

edit:

The light draws your attention already, but so does the fact that Gamora is the darkest element in the frame, and since they're placed so close together Gamora's emphasized even more and holds a lot of visual weight.

Those Eggleton posters are fantastic thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, again: exactly. You consider identity politics and civil rights the same thing, when the latter is a term for the appropriation and 'decaffeination' of what are typically left-wing, radical, egalitarian politics by liberal centrists. 'Civil Rights' implies the progressive struggle for social and economic equality, whereas identity politics largely/entirely omits the economic aspect.

What you've voiced in your posts is exactly the definition of postpolitical biopolitics, which basically means maximizing security under liberalism.

In the pop-culture sphere, the difference was dramatized in Rogue One - a film very similar to Guardians Of The Galaxy, but with an opposite message. The political radicals in the Rogue One crew have their work and sacrifice appropriated by liberals, then are erased from history. As a contrast, the self-pitying (and stridently apolitical) mercenaries of the Milano help the liberals to kill all the terrorists, then win a new car.

I like that reading of rogue one a lot and think it fits pretty square . It salvaged the ending for me .

• Locked thread