Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The movie must be really something when all the praise is so tepid and oddly desperate. You must enjoy it.

I think it's less "You must enjoy it" and more "Of course you're going to enjoy it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Guys, Baby Groot took off a dude's thumb. Jesus christ.

I don't know if that's more terrifying than Yondu culling every rebel Ravager througout the entire ship.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 5, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mr. F! posted:

Is this a goony opinion to have?

Nah, it's definitely an opinion held beyond goons, but it's definitely an esoteric opinion that, as technology gets better, is going to get more and more fringe.

It's no different than people who thought reviving Peter Cushing in the latest Star Wars movie was weird.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mr. F! posted:

I mean I could definitely see that, and I think it's lame that instead of cleverly writing around that type of thing we just use technology to do it because it's easier.

Eh, the ways filmmakers have been doing that sort of thing (not depicting scenes involving the character, not having them in scenes they otherwise should've been in, hiding the fact that there's a New Actor, recasting in the hopes that the New Actor looks like the Old Actor, whatever) have been done to death out of necessity. It wasn't clever to do those things, it's all they could do. It's always been what it's always been: a way to try and work around not having the Old Actor that winds up screaming PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE FACT THAT WE DON'T HAVE THAT GUY AROUND.

Now, if they want a scene with 70s Kurt Russell with his wonderful 70s hair, they can do it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Also, I REALLY wish they'd knock it off with trailers showing you the entire film. :(

As long as there has been movie trailers, they've been showing you the entire film.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

I dunno, you don't think that's just a little hosed up?

No? It's really frigging cool, for the reasons I've explained.

TrixRabbi posted:

Peter doesn't even take a moment to process it before he opens fire, zapping any potential pathos that moment could have recovered

He processes it by opening fire, though? You don't need to process this dude killed my mom.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like the idea that while Ego's human body was banging all sorts of space women, he was also loving the planets themselves, sorta.

Wasn't that a joke? I figured Ego was using an alien body each time he went to a new planet, the model of Human Him was just a default Me Icon in all the panels of his story he told Peter.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Soulwrangler posted:

So I know character swaps aren't as passe as they used to be but doesn't Fox have the rights for The Watchers?

I read somewhere that there was a rights swap dating back to Fox wanting to change Negasonic Teenage Warhead's powers in Deadpool. They agreed as long as they could use the people you mentioned here.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Quoting for the new page.

I don't think it was him, I think it was just two random aliens fighting on a random planet.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

How old are you? I'm guessing Gunn had no problem remembering those were both early 80's things.

:corsair:

It's practically a rule when it comes to either cinematic period pieces (or parts of movies that are supposed to be period pieces, like the songs in this movie) that the folks doing the picking don't usually do their research to make sure everything lines up. So you inevitably get things where a song didn't get popular until a few years after the movie is set, or a shoe didn't exist, or whatever. Because they have no problem remembering the era, they don't need to check, pfft.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I figured the scene that identified Ego the best was when he screamed something like "I will never again be alone!". Dude is inherently afraid of that, and it would ultimately ruin his plan: even if he succeeded, it'd be precisely what he didn't want.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Discussing and deconstructing themes of fatherhood is fine and dare I say good, blubbering like a baby at "Quill has a dad just like me! He played catch! Like a dad! Which made me cry!" is empty cheerleading for an idea put forth with no critical thought behind it.

Most people going to the movies aren't critics. They are there to enjoy the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why, but the battle inside of Ego really gave me Star Trek 5 vibes. Not in a "wow this is terrible" way, but the face of Ego when Mantis puts him to sleep made me think of the parts of that movie where the entity at the center of the galaxy decided to jack Laurence Luckinbill's face and scream a lot.

• Locked thread