Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Very good flick. I liked how they fit in a whole lot of good character moments while still getting the cool action done. Stuff like Drax talking about his daughter and Mantis channeling tears, Yondu and Rocket hashing out how you can be a miserable bastard and still make room for people, Nebula explaining the awful way Thanos turned her against Gamora.

Also that scene where Yondu wastes the entire ship full of people with his arrow might have been the best scene in both films. There were three or four shots just in that scene that were more inventive than most movies can manage once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baron Porkface posted:

Why was it that Yondu was kicked out of the ravagers? Sly kinda mumbled it.

He was dealing kids, and that's against their code.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

The scene where the lights go out in the ship's hallway and all you can see is the red tail of the arrow illuminating the devestation was a really fun and cool shot, I thought.

And also the overhead shot of the control room as the arrow flies around the outside of it killing anyone trying to charge them and the part where the arrow can be seen only indirectly as it flies through the security camera streams. Maybe just recency bias, but I can't think of an action scene I liked more in an MCU movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

Marvel and Fox share joint custody on them and several other characters.
Spider-Man visits every other weekend.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

One thing I'm not sure I got - did Peter and Gamora hook up at the end or not?

Man fingers crossed, that dancing around it poo poo ain't as cute as they think it is, especially when there's absolutely no reason for it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

I didn't expect Batista to turn out to be a decent actor, much less this great in a comedic role. He's not The Rock, but in terms of WWE performers-turned-actors he's kinda killing it.

IIRC, he studied intensively and took a bunch of acting classes to get the part in the first place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is. Sex is uncomfortable and disruptive in the movie's universe, and it threatens all life in the galaxy.

Hmmm?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The villain's plan is to impregnate women while metaphorically impregnating planets.

Ego wanting to gently caress planets is a well-established part of his character:

Seems like a stretch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

Also it's kind of funny watching Bravest be so obnoxious that he can't convince people of a point which is blatantly obvious :laugh:

Marvel movies being anti-sex is a real reach.

I don't want to say they're kids movies, but y'all know you can put sex scenes in a movie where a large chunk of the audience is families, right? Quill's got that pink woman in his ship and talks to Drax about the various species he's hosed; that's about as raunchy as it's going to get in a movie that also wants parents to go buy toys and comics for their 8-year-olds. (I know someone is going to sperg out on that; I'm not saying selling toys is the main goal of the movie.)

James Gunn puts his own fears of spoiling the cast chemistry in Quill's mouth in this movie. I don't think his fears are well-founded, and I think Quill and Gamora dancing around getting together is wearing very thin, but you gotta take a big stretch to be like "No, that explicitly stated reason is not the real reason they aren't getting together, it's because Marvel hates sex."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

I haven't seen enough Marvel movies to say overall. In Iron Man, Tony's womanizing is definitely used to demonstrate his egotistical nature, though. And Ego's plan is straightforwardly to destroy countless worlds by reproducing himself. In this case, what is being shown is, of course, the wrong motive for parenthood- using your child as a vicarious extention of oneself. It's far better to be a flawed parent like Yondu who understands that Quill is his own person. In GotG1, sex isn't a huge theme; what is mostly shown is how awkward the subject is for Quill and how clumsy he is even approaching the subject.

I haven't really seen or heard of a positive depiction of functioning sexuality in any of the Marvel films, in what I've seen and heard, it's an uncomfortable, disruptive force at best. I'd be open to counter-examples, though, because there's plenty of films I just haven't seen.

By contrast, in BvS, Kal's romance with Lois is questioned, but the film is quite comfortable with the sexual nature of their relationship.

e: or, to be really cheeky, Quill meets his biological dad and is so grossed out by the realization that his parents hosed that it drives him to finally appreciate his adoptive father :laugh:

Yeah, dude, like a quarter of the audience is under 12. The characters won't be loving. You can contrast it with BvS, but I sure wouldn't take my kid to see a Zach Snyder movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

What do you think about GotG and GotG2? I find them very lacking, especially how they don't look very funny despite being very visually-oriented comedies.

Or that when dramatic, they don't look very dramatic:

I have no idea what random screengrabs are supposed to prove.

I mean, people would tell you Caddyshack is funny, but does this look funny to you?

What a bunch of hacks; you call that a comedy classic?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cockmaster posted:

Forget that, why would Ego casually confess to murdering Quill's mother wight when he was successfully selling himself as a loving father?

Maybe the character named Ego who sees himself as a god has a bit of hubris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's very Chewbacca, but Chewbacca didn't speak nearly as much as Groot, and they often didn't bother indirectly translating him.

• Locked thread