Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

evilmiera posted:

I have no idea why Sylvester Stallone was anywhere near this movie though. Awful casting choice and felt shoe-horned into every scene he was in. With all those other actors from the 80s appearing that made his appearance even worse. Like you were expecting him to throw out a line from Rocky at any moment.
I think its because James Gunn always wanted Sly in one of his movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

James Gunn fucks with tone like no one else I know. I think it's incredible. I love how I'm crying in one scene, and seconds later, laughing. I love how he can horrify me, make me laugh, and disgust me all in one scene. He's never been a director for everyone. But he's one of the few that just clicks for me, right at my core. He's weird as gently caress, and this film is like his weirdness distilled, and with a hundred million dollar budget.
In that sense he reminds me of Mike Patton who can go for the same tonal roulette and make you go through recoiling in horror, laughing, and cheering in one song.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I liked how fungal Ego's powers were in creating stuff

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Soulwrangler posted:

So I know character swaps aren't as passe as they used to be but doesn't Fox have the rights for The Watchers?
There was a deal made by Marvel and Fox to get the rights of Ego and another character so that might have been it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Deathwing posted:

I feel like maybe Ego's spore or whatever swallowing part of Missouri will at least get worked into explaining how (in addition to Thanos of course) the Guardians get connected to the other big MCU players for Infinity War - maybe via Dr. Strange or Thor & Hulk's Excellent Space Adventure?

That aside, as long as we get to see Rocket be totally unimpressed with Tony's cute little toys and whatnot, i'll be happy.

That and Tony will probably be the guy to make the Beatles joke about Rocket's name

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Abalone Malone posted:

Drax's impressed response to Ego saying that his self created Penis "wasn't too bad" was great.
Batista was excellent in this movie.
I'd like to think this is a joke about how everytime a wrestler (especially a Ex-WWE guy/gal) is interviewed in a shoot the question of how big his dick is inevitably brought up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Watched it again and man I know its probably my bias as a wrestling fan but I love Dave Batista as Drax, there is something really relatable in how blunt he is and how he is very prone to either hiding his true emotions or overcompensating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wasn't he made by a bunch of space Eugenicists to be the ultimate space Ubermensch but when he hatched, he basically went 'nah man, I don't want to be space Hitler' and just flew off to find meaning in the universe and was kind of some philosophical space dalai lama?

Then he got the soul gem and things got real weird, because his arch-enemy turned out to be a future version of himself that went mad because of the soul gem and of my god what the Hell 70s Marvel space comics. I'm guessing his plot importance will boil down to 'Hi guys, I have one of these gems you all want so much'.

Speaking of space characters, I kind of want Marvel to double down and make a movie based on the mid-2000s Annihilation storyline. You think Marvel movie viewers are confused about space characters now, oh boy, just wait. So the Guardians, Nebula, Ronan and Korath (both back from the dead somehow), Thanos, Nova, Galactus, Silver Surfer everybody's got the basics on those guys at least so far. But it crammed pretty much every goddamn space guy possible into the cross-over. Super Skrull. Moondragon. Lady Captain Marvel (not Carol Danvers). Quasar. Stellaris. Glorian. Galactus gets six of his former heralds on the horn to jump in the action too.

Quite frankly it's too many goddamn space guys. That's why it needs to happen. Every movie ticket will hopefully come with a thirty-page character pamphlet, or youtube would be flooded with day one reaction videos 'WHO THE gently caress IS AIR-WALKER?!'
Unfortunately a lot of the things in the Annihilation storyline is owned by Fox

• Locked thread