Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. F! posted:

THERE WERE 25 MINS OF PREVIEWS> WTF

For me there was about 2 minutes of previews and almost everyone missed the first 10 minutes.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Count me as surprised at the critical reaction saying it was worse than the first; other than a cluttered 3rd act I thought it was actually better and rounded out a lot of the characters. :shrug:

I would say the second act drags a bit whilst Quill's in exposition land and the B team are propping up the action, but other than that it was really solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

On second viewing this is probably the best Marvel movie on balance.

Not that that's a super high bar but still.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm ok with this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VulkN5OLEM

Real good video essay on this real real good movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wendell posted:

Nice video. I appreciate it and you.

And I you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why is any of what you said a bad thing. They're literally a government approved mercenary squad.

The movie ends with a tearful funeral for a child trafficker. This is all intentional. None of the characters are supposed to be good people.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

No one watches GotG as a satire.

A film doesn't have to be satire to have morally ambiguous or 'bad' protagonists.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Star-Lord being a manchild obsessed with childhood gizmos and pop culture is funny. It provides probably about half of the humour in the films. That a Sony Walkman as a substitute for his mother is not tragic, it's tragicomic at most. The space adventurer swearing vengeance for his mother and his squished Walkman is funny.

Lots of people can surely sympathize with being Han Solo and having your memento Walkman being crushed by an evil planet-dad who wants to cover the galaxy in blue goo.

Yes attaching sentimentality to everyday items is inherently silly. It's also a thing human beings do constantly.

It's also dumb that Arya Stark cares so much about a dime a dozen sword her brother gave her. Or that Rose kept a secret jewel as a memento from all the shenanigans on the Titanic. Laugh a minute scenes, those.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well yes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

McCloud posted:

However, the parts with Rocket and that blue guy where terrible.So maudlin and predictable, and the way they try to make us feel sympathy for these very unlikable characters is incredibly transparent. Yeah, his mary poppins line was funny, but they tried to make me feel bad for a child trafficker and a sociopathic raccoon, by way of saying "these guys had a tragic childhood, feel bad for them! boohoo!"

Clearly didn't have a child trafficking blue dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The whole Taserface bit came off like something out of a UK sitcom.

Rocket laughing at it so much kind of killed the joke though.

• Locked thread