Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well now you're just being silly - emotional reactions can actually undermine critical judgement. Instead of talking about direction, cinematography, composition, etc, you're reducing it to a question if other people cried or gasped.

The Pop Song Scene #31 is 'passable' - it meets the minimum requirements of being technically functional. It's not very good, and just another wearisome segment like the Cherry Bomb scene in the first movie. The arrow is a striking visual motif, but the scene is narratively pointless, as it doesn't accomplish much aside from being 'cool' and providing the catharsis of seeing the less marketable freakish outcasts get slaughtered (I'd love to eventually see a Youtube Dubber with, say, the Requiem for a Dream theme over it).

For context, will you just list 5-10 movies you consider your personal favorites / the best movies you've seen? You can quantify it however you like, I'm just incredibly curious as to your context of what constitutes as good/great/masterpiece on an emotional/technical level.

Or if you can't say anything nice about a movie, you can do a list of 5-10 movies you consider the worst, and list some reasons why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's happening in this scene?

Gamora is angry that Star-Lord's hitting it off with his dad and not realizing that something hosed up is happening. She sits in a field contemplating her life when her angry sister Nebula comes and attacks her in a spaceship, which she drives into a cave to kill her while Gamora runs away.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Gamora and Nebula hate each other and then they don't because family.

I just think the composition and lighting work really well for a quick scene like that, at least compared to the rest of the movie.

The colors and textures are absolutely gorgeous.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You clearly have no real concept of design.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Notice how this has no real point of interest (Gamora? The sun? The wisps of clouds?) or rhythm of movement in this. Everything is presented in the same soft light, and seems to occupy the same plane so there's no sense of space - Gamora seems to be sitting on the horizon almost.

It's a little off since I don't have photoshop on my work computer, but more emphasis on you being wrong about the green girl surrounded by glowing yellow.

Here there is a point of interest in the shape of the cave mouth (the lightining even emphasises it with the sun on the right), but it's unrelated to the action and so it's just distracting.

Yeah, her running into a cave with a narrow mouth to escape the large space ship has nothing to do with the action in the scene. :jerkbag:

Why is this presented from such a dull angle? Wouldn't it be much more exciting to feature this, say, from up-front with the ship crashing towards the camera?

This would make Gamora seem at an equal ratio to the space ship. The scene is designed to show 1) She is vulnerable and at a disadvantage; 2) To show the ship getting closer to her despite her running; 3) The destruction of the cave around her.

What you suggest sounds like something from Paul W.S. Anderson (at worst) or Indiana Jones (at best).

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 28, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The light draws your attention already, but so does the fact that Gamora is the darkest element in the frame, and since they're placed so close together Gamora's emphasized even more and holds a lot of visual weight.

I like how much you had to exaggerate those lines so that they seem to turn inward towards Gamora.

They aren't exaggerations, though? They traced the plant pointing towards Gamora, Gamora's shadow that points to her, the shadows cast by rocks pointing at her, the swirling arora borealis pointing towards her, and how both edges of the landscape slope towards the level she's sitting at.

You're just a wrong idiot pretending to know design, searching through your folders for designs from Man of Steel or Hitchhiker's Guide to say how right you are.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

The implication that the film is composed not using the edges of the frame, but using the edges of the 16:9 HDTV that frame is going to be letterboxed inside of for home viewing, is interesting.

I had to use a weird website just to get that to work. When I did it without the edges, the grid design was cut off, and I'm not wasting more than 10 minutes arguing with Bravest.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

"Narrow"? It's wide and absolutely dwarfs her. The circle is the most dramatic part of the image and it's what draws the eye.

Hahaha holy poo poo

Narrow as in it's smaller than the space ship zooming at her, not compared to the person small enough to run inside of it.

But you're right about the latter. I get worked up. You actively piss me off. You're the only person on the forums who pisses me off, and that's remarkable. And I just keep engaging you as if you are capable of discussion or debate, and that's wrong of me for trying to talk with you, or even at you. Like we can reach some common ground. All just wasted energy.

Guy A. Person posted:

is basically a thought bubble, it's hinting at what she is actually thinking of. So a pair of matched plants implies she is thinking of a partner/friend/lover that she is now separated from, connecting from the previous shot.

The plants rub together making a really annoying noise in their union, so she slices them in half with a sword.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

So how does her getting irritated by the sound of the two pods rubbing together then cutting them down play into that? Honest question, no snark intended.

Like Guy said, it could be Quill and his dad getting along obnoxiously, or how her affection towards Quill lets him effectively get on her nerves.

This is also the point where Mantis and Drax are getting along well, so really any symbol of affection, like the two flowers rubbing, will actively piss her off, since she's in this moment of solitude/getting away from everyone/feeling alone.

Wow, maybe you're too enamoured with GotG's mediocre pop art.

No. I do design for a living, and I draw and paint and do various things for different creative projects. GotG Vol. 2's design is solidly good with some great moments, and I really like it's color palette throughout. So when you say it's very bad, but don't really back it up with evidence, and you only say people are wrong when they're going out of their way to prove their points to you without being rude (excluding myself), it's very frustrating to me. I don't ignore people on SA, but you're going to be the first, because it's a fruitless endeavor to try and talk to you. And I really dislike being rude or an rear end in a top hat on these forums.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

This movie sucked.

Better or worse than your real doll?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

I mean, it's a contradiction that can easily be resolved, even by taking a few more notes from (Dawn of the Dead collaborator) Zack Snyder's playbook: Even if it's overt that Ego is some kind of megalomaniacal bad guy and the only reason anyone would fall for this set-up would be that they're "a bunch of a-holes," marginalizing Starlord as just a pawn of Ego's projections isn't adequately 'immersive,' if you will. There needs to be that something that shows Starlord being 'taken in,' which is not the same as Ego simply leading Starlord to a place and showing him something. The latter is just a demonstration of power, the former would tell us what Starlord et al. want out of this relationship and why.

Star-Lord enters the planet listening to My Sweet Lord by George Harrison, which kind of lays that idea down.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 29, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus he literally becomes a god that can create matter so he can have a catch with his dad I mean I'd be willing to listen to Kurt Russel at that point too.

Ego makes a big point of referring to him as "the notorious Star-Lord" or something when they first meet, and Peter isn't use to that recognition/respect, so there's a few moments that push him into wanting to listen to Ego even before he finds out he's a god.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Super Fan posted:

Some people are boring SMG clones

Nah, SMG's clever, has good insights occasionally and actually engages people's discussions from his pedestal

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can it really be said that someone is trying to live a fantasy life if they actually fly a space ship, gently caress aliens, shoot people with laser guns, lived with space pirates/thieves. It's not like he chose this when he was in his early twenties, he was kidnapped and thrown into that lifestyle as a child. He never really had a chance to decide if he wanted to be an intergalactic bank teller.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

You're just ignoring huge parts of the movies to make them fit your idea of what they should be. Quill is clearly sad, lonely, and embittered by his life at the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy. Being a "kickass space adventurer" is miserable and empty on its own, yet you choose to interpret it as "the movie tells us that living your manchild dreams is awesome". Without meaningful, emotional connections, those childhood fantasies are completely empty.

He's bending the film to fulfill his arguments while ironically accusing the world's universe of literally bending around Quill so he can make pop culture references. Because success = fulfillment, duh.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

I've never added anyone to my ignore list before, but I'm pretty tempted, let me tell you.

Can't do it on mobile, though, can you?

He's the only Goon I've ignored and yes you can do it on mobile. The weird thing is that as much as he hates this movie, it's the only thread I see him post in and the o ly thread where people actually engage him attempting actual discussion.

He's just a dweeb with bad opinions, possibly aspergers, and should just be ignored.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Loudly talking about the users you've ignored instead of just ignoring them and moving on with your lives is a bad look IMO

That's fair. You right.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:yikes:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

I feel like to make the Taserface joke work you just need to push it more, make it even sillier, although I guess they're trying to walk the line of this guy maybe plausibly thinking the name sounds cool.

Edit: Maybe get around that by having "poopoohead" mean awesome warrior on Kranglac VI or whatever. Hire me James Gunn.

"Taserface" was chosen because he's an actual character from a Marvel comic from the 60's or 70's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

(Yeah, he debuted in 1990)

My bad, I wasn't about to look up his debut, just pointing out he wasn't an original character for the movie.

• Locked thread