Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
My spoiler-y review:

The Drax-Mantis subplot should have been trimmed. Those two are just annoying. Mantis is wasted. You'd think her empathic powers were to be used as a device to explore the deeper hidden feelings of the cast, but she tells us nothing we don't already know. Star Lord has the hots for Gamora! Drax has a simplistic sense of humor!

Yondu's subplot is the real heart of the movie. Every time Yondu is on screen the movie is golden. I loved the backstory with the Ravagers -- they're pirate scum but like most scum they have some standards of decency. I love the chemistry between Rocket and Yondu. Yondu sees in Rocket a reflection of his younger self. In the first part of the movie, Rocket robs his customer of the very thing he was hired to protect, and Yondu was ostracized by the other Ravager captains for trafficking children.

The Yondu subplot is also great because it is the most unpredictable part of the movie. Everything that happens on Ego is totally predictable. A benefactor shows up to fulfill the hero's wildest desires... of course he's a devil in disguise! And I sensed the exact moment the revelation would hit: there's a quiet bit where Gamora is just moping around the planet doing nothing to advance plot, so Nebula shows up to fight Gamora and they end up underground, where they discover literal skeletons in Ego's metaphorical closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Rocket stealing the Sovereign's batteries was a mistake, not just in a diegetic sense but in an exegetic one. He screwed over his own customer. After this, I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire the Guardians as mercenaries, even after they saved the universe. They may be feted as superheroes but nobody will want to hire them as mercenaries, so their careers should be effectively over. I don't know how the writers of the next installment are going to deal with this. The Guardians can't be mercenaries in Vol. 3, they have to be something else.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Baron Porkface posted:

Why was it that Yondu was kicked out of the ravagers? Sly kinda mumbled it.
Ego hired Yondu to abduct the many children Ego sired on his travels and bring them to him (to see if any had inherited his cosmic power). Trafficking in children is against the Ravager code, so Yondu was ostracized when his transgressions were discovered.

• Locked thread