Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Breetai posted:

I have never heard an audience *gasp* quite so loud as at "It broke my heart to put that tumour in her head".

THAT is how you cement a heel turn.

My cinema had the exact same reaction.

I don't know, I think I'll enjoy it a lot more on my second viewing, only because my expectations were so high and it didn't quite deliver what I was hoping it would:

Specifically, I was hoping to see more of Ego's planetary form. Instead we got about 5 seconds and the rest was inside the core for a pretty by the book boss battle. Kurt Russell was great, and It's a bizarre thing to say that the film wasn't weird enough for me, but there we are.

I will say that I have never laughed so much in a theatre. 'You're beautiful...on the inside'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

rocket is a raccoon as much as he's a person. He's gonna steal things forever and ever and not even really understand it's bad to do that. There is still plenty of jobs you can hire him for, but he'll never not steal while doing them.

Yep

''What if I see something I want and it belongs to someone else?''
''That's stealing''
''What if I want it more than they do?''
''Still stealing''
''That doesn't follow, I want it MORE sir.''

Rocket being a dick who can't distinguish right from wrong is completely in character, and I really enjoyed his arc in the film. He can't get over the chip on his shoulder that he's a 3 foot tall lab rat, and lashes out at everyone because of it. I can totally buy that.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Huzanko posted:

Worth seeing in 3D?

Absolutely. I was blown away by the sense of depth and scale it gave some of the shots. Granted, the last 3D film I saw was that Jaws sequel, so I'm easily impressed. But I thought it was awesome.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

GoldfishStew posted:

Nah, my criticisms that 1) this movie (and marvel movies in general) have very limited and lovely roles for women and 2) this movie leaned heavily on well worn tropes without being innovative are pretty thought out and, in the case of 1) re: women is pretty well documented and said more eloquently than I across various articles and blogs on the net. I'm sorry you like basic movies and are easily entertained by seeing the same stories told again and again with slightly different avatars.

I don't know if you realise this or not, but you sound like a complete twat.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

CelticPredator posted:

He did.

He is a bad person. Hence why Peter acted the way he did. Yet he did love her. He's just not a human being despite wanting to be.

To him, he gave her a ticking time bomb that was sure to kill her eventually after Peter was born. He didn't much care how she died.

Actually, this is a good point. He couldn't kill her straight away because Peter hadn't been born yet. So he gave her an expiration date. Being a living God Planet, I would totally buy that the suffering aspect either didn't come into it at all, because he's never experienced it, or he saw no distinction between a death that took 5 years and a death that took 5 seconds (Remember, he's millions of years old, time has very little relative meaning to him)

• Locked thread