Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I honestly think I like this movie better than the first one, or at least what I remember of it. Unlike Ronan, the villain is drat effective, and Peter's emotional arc throughout the film (along with others) was really well done. That scene where he and his dad were playing catch was pretty great. And also Yondu's death.

The weakest parts of this movie are the exposition dumps, some of which are pretty poorly done, but the rest of the movies makes up for those bits, and unlike the first movie the climax is pretty engrossing and not just an endless sequence of our heroes mowing down faceless grey mook after faceless grey mook.

Nebula and Gamora better be involved in taking down Thanos, whenever that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Kurzon posted:

Rocket stealing the Sovereign's batteries was a mistake, not just in a diegetic sense but in an exegetic one. He screwed over his own customer. After this, I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire the Guardians as mercenaries, even after they saved the universe. They may be feted as superheroes but nobody will want to hire them as mercenaries, so their careers should be effectively over. I don't know how the writers of the next installment are going to deal with this. The Guardians can't be mercenaries in Vol. 3, they have to be something else.
Isn't there a scene where the one of Sovereign comment on how the High Priestess' single minded hunt for the Guardians are getting them in trouble with the Xandarians/Nova Corps? I imagine that with the Sovereign being as stuck up and isolated as they are nobody else knows what happened.

Speaking of the Soveriegn, I'm glad that they were kind of humanized somewhat beyond their initial aloof portrayal. Treating starfighter combat like an arcade game was a nice touch.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

The only actual "plot-hole" I notice is when Ego says, after he gained consciousness, his first goal was to become "human" with the model showing him with a pink alien girl. Not "a sentient creature" or anything, but specifically human. Then Quill says "When did you meet my mom?" answered with "a few months later". It's very strange for him to become sentient and immediately want to be specifically human when he illustrates the story with meeting other races.

On the other hand, Ego is telling a story tailored specifically to Quill, and there's no reason to take his account as a 100% accurate account of events. Especially when he's later found out to be omitting the truth.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Filthy Casual posted:

Why, because she developed a greater depth of character and grew emotionally? Her story with Nebula was my favorite after Yondu/Rocket.

Hell, Gamora gets hit with the Chickification bat hard in the first movie. Because she's the only female character the film tries to have her be the emotional center of the team and appeal to the others altruistic better natures (despite her characterization as a ruthless and cynical assassin) and she becomes a damsel in distress in need of Quill's saving more times than necessary.

She's much improved as a character and a badass ex-assassin in this movie.

• Locked thread