Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
This movie exhibits many of the same sorts of weaknesses that always tend to crop up in Disney's current fan-pleasing, franchise-driven Marvel/Star Wars output, but the characters and story are both just strong enough that it becomes something more than the sum of its parts. Overall I really enjoyed it and even found it genuinely emotionally affecting at times (especially Yondu's reconciliation with Quill and their final acknowledgment of each other as father and son). It's not a Great Film, it and has some significant weaknesses in a purely filmic sense--particularly, like always, when it comes to all those incoherent, slapdash action sequences--but I like it enough that I feel little desire to heap even any deserved scorn upon it, which is a relative rarity for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

No, I watched the movie, it just seemed to only make "script" sense and not, uh, actual sense...if that makes sense.

Dude has the power to create an entire world but oh no! He's just one child short, he assumes, for some reason, and that if he could only have a child (that he cant create from nothing like he does everything else, for some reason it needs to be part human?) he'd finally be able to do what he wanted to do, which, I guess, was just be everything.

I think it's plausible enough that a cosmic being, while powerful, is limited in his ability to create a being just like himself ex nihilo. He even says it himself, he's a small-g god, not a big-G God.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Not really. Most sibling riveraly stories are entirely set on the siblings wanting to be better than one another. Not one of them just wanting acceptance.

Nebula didn't hate Gamora for being better. She hated her for never being a sister.

I liked the movie but that's not true at all. One of the siblings turning out to have simply wanted the acceptance of the other all along is a pretty standard trope in these sorts of sibling rivalry stories. What made it interesting to me is Karen Gillan's performance and the way she related the backstory of Thanos replacing pieces of her body with machinery each time she failed to best Gamora in a contest.

The Gamora/Nebula story was far from the most compelling part of the movie, though.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

It could be completely cut out of the movie. It was, "ok, gamora, go off and do this while the boys have fun and do the real mission."

Mantis is a stolen child, made into slave by a man, told she is ugly the entire film by a man, until, in the end, a man tells her she's actually not ugly.

Mantis tells Drax she finds him physically unattractive as well. The whole thing between Mantis and Drax is just a humorous subversion of the storytelling cliche where the socially awkward female misfit and the socially awkward male misfit automatically fall for each other just by virtue of their stock character type. In this movie, though, they don't--because they really don't have anything substantial in common with each other, almost the entire extent of their relationship is just Drax being unintentionally cruel to her, and they both consider the other to be an ugly alien.

Then the movie ends with Drax going the seemingly cliche route of telling Mantis that she really is beautiful after all....but then going on to clarify that he only means on the inside because of course she's still a gross disgusting bug person on the outside. It's really all just for laughs, man. The joke is that Drax is a tone deaf rear end in a top hat and Mantis is psychologically immune to even the most outrageous assaults on her self-esteem (it being completely immaterial whether it comes from a man or a woman), and that getting to know each other better and becoming teammates doesn't end up changing the way they relate to each other in any way by the end of the movie, let alone lead to them becoming lovers. It's not profound or meaningful, it's just kind of funny. "Hee hee, ha ha," that sort of thing, you know?

It really makes no sense to go inserting all kinds of gender politics into it. I totally get that that's what you're into, though. People enjoy movies in different ways. Different strokes and all that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Misogyny for laughs. If you really think the women in this movie are treated equally I really don't know what to tell you. Gamora is designated to a trite C story while Mantis' entire purpose is to be validated by a dude.

LOL, Mantis's entire purpose is explicitly not to be validated by a dude. Drax basically never truly validates her at all without also being a huge rear end in a top hat about it immediately afterwards because he's a weirdo alien who's psychologically incapable of understanding social nuance, while Mantis is completely oblivious to this fact not because she's weak or a woman but because she's a weirdo alien who's psychologically incapable of caring about what Drax or anyone else says about her. There are no gender politics here whatsoever, you're just hallucinating. Their whole story arc is a joke about them being weirdo aliens who don't act or react like normal humans would. There are a lot of things in movies that are filled with symbolism for real world concepts and issues, but this is not one of them. It's just a silly joke based on the speculative fiction concept of alien psychologies.

quote:

Also your hand waving/giggling away is exactly how this poo poo becomes normalized. They have so many ways to tell stories and they not only picked ones we've seen before but crappy ones at that.

I'm really not worried at all. I positively revel in not being worried about stuff like this. I'm literally giggling as I type this because you think this has anything whatsoever to do with real-world gender relations, either positively or negatively. I am part of the imaginary problem in your head, and I don't care, and I hope someday you can learn to not care too, so you can be happy.

CelticPredator posted:

Mantis was a sweet character and she isn't even that ugly.

No, she isn't. That makes Drax's over-the-top repulsion to her even funnier.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 15, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

He basically saw her as a distraction who was threatening to derail his plans if he couldn't keep away. Which is not a great reason because he could have just waited until she died of natural causes and his "special" son was firmly on his side to execute his plans. Like staying on earth seems like the best course of action: you raise your son yourself and indoctrinate him without doing a bunch of poo poo that will explicitly make him your enemy.

He seemed remarkably impatient for an immortal being. Chalk it up to being a weird planet brain and not thinking like us I guess.

I think he thought that if he stayed with her and spent an entire natural human lifetime loving her and then having to mourn her loss, he would run the risk of becoming too human to ever go through with his utterly inhuman plan, just as ultimately was the case with Quill.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

He didn't love her. He didn't love anything. He's a sociopath. He gave her a drawn out painful death.

I believe he did feel some human love for her. But the part of him that was an immortal alien egomaniac won out.

It's the opposite of Quill, who is briefly tempted by Ego's grand egomaniacal vision, but whose human love for his mother ultimately wins out.

It's not all one or the other. Ego isn't a sociopath. He's a literal god who yearned to be human, succeeded to an extent almost accidentally when he met Quill's mother, but then decided he didn't quite like what he found, and so turned away. This movie dabbles in a lot of pure science fiction concepts. Ego's character (despite his name) can't be conceptualized simply as an allegory for real-world human psychological constructs. It can only be understood as something truly post-human.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phylodox posted:

BravestOfTheLamps was a half-assed SuperMechagodzilla knock-off. GoldfishStew is a half-assed BravestOfTheLamps knock-off. Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset. Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon.

I obviously like the movie and I haven't read all of BravestOfTheLamp's posts ITT, but I think he had a defensible point. There are some good visuals in this movie but also a lot of pretty so-so visuals; it's not really a movie that gets by on the strength of its visual storytelling. That makes it not quite great cinema to me but it's still an enjoyable movie because of the characters and humor. Though at times I also feel like Gunn went a bit overboard on the whole "undercut a dramatic or emotionally intense moment with a joke or pratfall" thing. Just a few times, but enough that I noticed.

But again I want to reiterate I actually had more fun with this movie than I've had in a long time with similar ones of its type. I don't know, it could be I'm just in a more mellow mood recently.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, serious question time:

Am I the only one who thought Ego's outfit in his sculpture egg things was basically the Beyonder's outfit colored red?

I don't know about that, but Ego in GOTG2 has a lot in common with the Beyonder, and it would kind of surprise me if a Marvel geek like James Gunn didn't have him in mind at all when writing the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

Considering the presentation implies he not only independently developed the human form, but 70s fashion, I think we can assume he was simplifying things for Peter's benefit. And as, you know, a joke.

I actually do prefer to think that he really did just independently come up with "1970's Kurt Russell" as the ideal corporeal form despite having no prior contact with or knowledge of Earth.

• Locked thread