Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Come A Little Bit Closer has been stuck in my head, but at one point it segues into La Bamba, which wasn't even in Guardians.

That's more of a Tarantino murder spree song than Gunn one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Gamora wasn't even featured in a lot of the merch that would show all the guardians. Like on many shirts, it was just groot, rocket star lord and Drax.

And they somehow reduced her even more in this movie.

Why, because she developed a greater depth of character and grew emotionally? Her story with Nebula was my favorite after Yondu/Rocket.

euphronius posted:

Just realized the Mary poppins reference was not random at all.

How so? Is it beyond just Yondu's pose with the arrow or did they set that up some other?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Mantis is a stolen child, made into slave by a man, told she is ugly the entire film by a man, until, in the end, a man tells her she's actually not ugly.

Technically, he only meant on the inside. But that's just Drax letting her down easy.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is this Movie GOod and Worth Seeing?

Yes, obviously.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Mulva posted:

It's a pretty great animated film, and it had loving everybody on the planet voicing someone in it. They even snagged Orson Wells. What the hell is wrong with you that you don't appreciate that film?

Still amazed by that cast. Orson Welles, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Robert Stack, plus the regular legends Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Scatman Crothers and Chris Latta.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Generally one of the best soundtracks of all time.

You got the touch! You got the powaaahhhhh, YEAH!

Death of Optimus theme still gets me choked up. Dare was drat good, too.

poo poo, this movie was released in '86, Quill was taken in '87. They need to reference that poo poo.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

This entire Transformers derail, I thought you guys were just dogpiling increasingly ridiculous bullshit (especially when I got to 'Weird Al soundtrack') but, wow.

Orson Welles. Scatman Crothers. Transformers 1986. Weird Al on the soundtrack. This is real. (In my defense, I was a pitiful 4 months old at the time of its release)

All of that and we still didn't get to the best part, Kup the grumpy old Autobot war veteran.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Phylodox posted:

I dunno, "I hurt you because I love you too much" is dysfunctional, but not inhuman. The whole thing about Ego is that he chooses to be a god, but he's a petty, selfish, egotistical god, and so actually ends up lessening himself by his choice. He's kind of a pathetic god.

A puny god, perhaps?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

personally i don't think the solipsism ego shows in the movie makes him even capable of loving another being, not even meredith

an alternate universe ego that actually sat down and decided to change his priorities after meeting meredith? sure, but the one we got was basically a virus masquerading as a person

Certainly not in a selfless fashion, but it makes sense that it would be as close as a sociopathic deity could get. The virus comparison seems apt, it's not exactly groundbreaking, but a fair commentary on abusive parents.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

ehhhh, some of ego's stuff can be reminiscent of abusive parents/spouses but i feel like the underlying motivations are way too different for the pieces to fit together all that well

e: which kinda goes back to my point of feeling like ego's cartoonishly alien sociopathy got in the way of the 'dads, am i right' theme

Is it really that alien? poo poo, Trump used to knock his kids over when skiing down a hill because he couldn't handle them going faster. From my vantage point, Ego was always supposed to be the false father due to that sociopathy, and the "Dad's, am I right" part was with Yondu finally coming to grips with how he really felt about Peter.

Speaking of Yondu, I've been ruminating about his mass murder on the Ravager ship lately. While it is most assuredly a murder fest, there does seem to be some stuff going on with it symbolically. It starts with him losing his way and being exiled from the Ravager Union by sly for doing really hosed up stuff and all the mutineers preferred those extreme methods, hating Yondu for going soft due to his bond with Quill. By throwing in with TASERFACE, they've relegated themselves to being as heartless as the Ronan's corpse/slave soldiers (who I'd count as people, at least as much as Nova's asterisk ship pilots), and are dispatched in a similar fashion. That was Yondu's first true attempt to address the evil within him, the second being his sacrifice to save Peter, as he was right about doing entirely too much evil to get an easy out. It's also refreshing to see a Marvel movie just show the drat murder already, instead of using exploding cars as a cop-out.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

To preface: I didn't like this movie all that much aside from the occasional bits of great humor. I thought a lot of the biggest beats of the film felt very forced, chief among them the idea that we're supposed to now think of the guy who kidnapped and subsequently threatened to murder Peter for years as a child, to whom Peter showed nothing but contempt and frustration in the first film...is supposed to be some sort of great father figure, much less some great guy that everyone actually loved.

Yondu was a lovely person, but he made sacrifices for Peter that Ego never would. I'm pretty sure he says something to the effect of "I've done too much bad poo poo to get an easy out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

euphronius posted:

T

Since the next scene had them playing catch I'm going with the power of love.

Huey Lewis and the News confirmed for Quill's Zune.

• Locked thread