Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

You know the phrase "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"? That's how I feel about the visuals in this movie. They're still not quite up to the level I'd like to see all summer blockbusters at, but I'm very impressed that Guardians 2 looks a million times less poopy than Your Average Marvel Movie. The use of color is really great, it has it's own rainbow scheme without just being neon (not that there's anything wrong with neon), and there are a few really good looking shots on Ego's planet. The planet looks genuinely alien, which is something that a lot of people *cough star wars cough* don't really work at in sci-fi movies.

The dialogue was the worst part. I said it when I saw the clip out of context but it didn't change when I saw it in context: the escape from the Sovereign world felt like someone wrote some filler dialogue that got filmed as a mistake or something. The actual best parts of the story were the little character moments, like Yondu and Rocket's bonding, Nebula in general (which surprised the gently caress out of me because I thought Karen Gillan was the worst part of the original), or Drax and Mantis talking about Drax's daughter. Guardians has a big problem with telling and not showing, but that moment in particular was understated and didn't take a hammer to your brain to make sure you got the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

No one gasped at anything in Prometheus.

I bet some people gasped at the alien abortion scene, though that's not the same reason.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Was anyone else not particularly charmed by Baby Groot? It was very clear to me that the week after the first Guardians came out and everyone flipped a poo poo over him in the credits (which was a cute/fun little joke) that Disney went to Gunn and said "Groot's a baby now" and Gunn just rolled with it. I think a couple of the jokes about his stupidity were fun but it really does feel like a very focus group decision. I'm sure he'll be back to adult Groot by vol 3 (if they make an entire movie with teen Groot I'll roll my eyes so loving hard they spin out of my skull).

Also the Sovereign were kinda pointless. I liked Ayesha as a character but it felt very artificial to bring them into the final battle, as if fighting Ego alone wasn't enough.

• Locked thread