Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I discussed this with a friend. We both agreed that we liked the film overall but it's a significantly flawed work. Be warned, I'm spoiling this poo poo:

Yondu and Rocket on the ship just slaughtering the Ravagers as they shave or sleep or run is honestly psychopathic and off-putting. It's fine that Yondu and Rocket are complete maniacs and it can be argued those Ravagers are mutineers who spaced helpless people collectively but they are absolutely butchered and it undercuts the "we're sensitive lost souls" speech later. They didn't even attempt to let them surrender. Even Terminator 2 let the Terminator shoot to wound sometimes.

The Ego heel turn moment is ridiculous. It's a stunning admission (and yeah, my theater gasped too) but it's stunning precisely because it's so out of character for him to just genteelly admit "I did this horrific thing that nobody would forgive". Ego clearly understands human emotions, what the gently caress did he think would happen when he revealed that he slowly and painfully killed StarLord's loved one? BTW it did lead to StarLord immediately shooting the poo poo out of him, which I appreciated.

Yondu's death and funeral is badly done. The overly-triumphant music blasting out while Yondu froze solid in hard vacuum was inappropriate. I got more out of the funeral than Sir Kodiak (I felt it wasn't so much the Ravagers themselves that mattered, as that Yondu had conquered his demons and redeemed himself by his own internal cultural code) but him literally turning into a rainbow while fireworks go off undercuts his sacrifice.

And that was the problem. I've never felt that Gunn's propensity for cartoonish buffoonery undercut the serious aspects of his movies before. I did here. This movie felt a lot like Iron Man 2: they recognized what worked in the first one and tripled down on it to the film's detriment. This is not a bad movie (and I liked the visual design, btw) but it's definitely the lesser of the two Guardians movies.

Yes on the triple down. As someone much earlier said, this was immediately apparent in the dancing Groot opening. Went on way too long and way too on the nose and then they punch you in the nose with the drax part of it, which felt less like a callback and more just what we had already seen. This applies to every will they wont they start lord gamora scene as well.

BUT ALL THIS DOESNT MATTER IS WRONG AND IT'S ACTUALLY A FLAWLESS MOVIE YOU oval office gently caress YOU I LAUGHED I CRIED I CAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

What a silly question, Yaws. I have said I saw the first one five times in theaters. Obviously I enjoy Gunn's work and thought he was going to kill this one as well. You would rather I create alternate realities than complain about the one I got, I guess.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

By the way, I'm not like, happy I didnt like this movie. I bought toys of the first one and I'm in my thirties. I bought loving toys and legos and a shirt, ok? I loving wanted to like this movie.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

The Starlord/Gamora story and the Gamora/Nebula story just weren't expanded upon/different enough from the first to make me feel they were necessary to the film in a film that already had a lot going on, story wise.

I will again say I also don't like that Gamora was designated to a girls weekend side story while the boys went off to play. Maybe I am acutely sensitive to this because it bothered me so much in the merchandise of the last movie. There were literally shirts that said Guardians of the Galaxy and just had images of Groot, Rocket, Drax and Starlord, with no Gamora to be found on it.

GoldfishStew fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 19, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Phylodox posted:

I don't think they were codependent, but I think his love for Peter's mum was genuine. Genuine enough to frighten him. Certainly more than an unhealthy habit. I think Ego was partly feeling out Peter to see if he could think "big picture", but I think part of it was him honestly expressing regret (or trying to as much as he can).

He couldn't continue to love Meredith. Having realized his genuine feelings for her, he could choose to forsake his plan and live out his life and settle for being just, like, an immortal dude, or he could leave her, no, gently caress that, kill her so he could never change his mind, and become a god.

Ego can't truly love her and give her a long, slow death. Killing her off quick, while cruel, you could sell me on. The tumor? Nah. I think gunn wrote that part first and then wrote this movie and was like poo poo she had cancer in that first so I gotta make that fit somehow. And it doesn't.

He either truly loved her, or he gave her a brain tumor. It can't be both. And because it is it makes no sense. This movie wanted to do too many things. Sometimes contradictory things. It got greedy and the story suffered because of it.

GoldfishStew fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 20, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

What you are failing to realize is that there is a difference between killing someone to get them out of the way and giving someone you love a long, drawn out, incredibly painful death. He didn't just kill her. He tortured her.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

No. He didn't love her. You don't give someone you love brain cancer. His character makes no sense and the heel turn only exists so we get Quills cool badass reaction.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

You fools. There is a difference between killing someone and torturing them.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

BrianWilly I like your explanation. That's fine with me.

I don't think it is as good as a much earlier poster who said Ego could have got everything he wanted by, you know, just staying there and being a dad to Peter, but I guess he was off space loving and upping his probability of god babies.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I heard him, Celtic. Maybe he could have made trips and been like a dad who makes business trips.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

The justifications some of y'all are able to spin are just mind boggling to me. Prequel defender type poo poo.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Not once in the entire movie did Ego feel powerful or dangerous or make me truly worry for the safety of the heroes. Gunn finally made a marvel movie.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yeah that's definitely what I was saying.

The villain from the original ghostbusters is a good example of someone who felt powerful. Even the villain from the first guardians felt more dangerous than Ego.

The entire movie I felt a lot like the characters once they all got to egos planet. Just waiting for something to happen. Whole movie I just spent waiting.

I can't get over how wasted mantis was. Even her creator spoke up about this. Only there to highlight a mans feelings. Sad.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yeah I'm saying I felt that way the whole movie. Waiting for something interesting to happen.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I really like the second to last battle with Ronan with the ship crashing and groots sacrifice.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Also not only is he there but Thanos is loving scary, too. Plus you had Nebula who is a sicko and the woman who plays her is great.

I don't know. There is no battle scene as great in the second one to me as the one where Groot is grooting out and poo poo. That killing scene with Rocket and Yondu was not only sort of hosed up but also to close to the Quicksilver scene from X-Men to my liking.

I also didn't care for Stallone the more I look back on it.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

This movie sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

It was a dumb, run into the ground joke. This movie had the same comedic quality as the ghostbusters reboot. It was basically the won ton soup joke.

• Locked thread