Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was reminded a lot of Hitchhiker's Guide by this movie, especially Ego's introduction and his retro egg spaceship aesthetic.

FTL travel getting weird is always fun. It's breaking what everyone knows to be one of the most explicit laws of physics, it makes a sort of sense that it SHOULD be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like how there's a subtle theme of 'And then what?' for most of the cast in GotGv2. Rocket is still acting like a short-sighted kleptomaniac even though she should know better, and Yondu, who is at the end of a long, long series of bad decisions, points it out. Drax may have transferred his vengeance from Ronan onto Thanos, but it's clear that he no longer has pure revenge to drive him, and instead basically adopts Mantis as a substitute daughter for the family he's lost, as well as spending most of the movie making dad jokes.

Gamora and Nebula definitely have something to them as the children of an abusive parent finding common ground now they're out of their abuser's reach, Nebula's aggression falls away quickly when she realises she doesn't actually have to hold a grudge against Gamora despite all they've gone through, because she's actually sorry for what she's done and willing to accept forgiveness. The ongoing theme is that of people from abusive homes and/or horrible tragedies finding happiness and a sense of normalcy among each other, and the agency to stop cycles of abuse.

Much like the intended visuals of the gold people's drone warfare arcade and the skeletons in the closet, this movie is not subtle. Which is cool. Subtlety is overrated.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of Ego is basically a desert outside his gaudy, colourful palace, too. Though deliberately making a disconnect with the scenery seems like one of those creative choices that's kind of indistinct from just having bad scenery.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It makes a lot of sense when you look at the literal gigantic pile of skeletons of Ego's other children. (I swear one of them was a gigantic skull nearly as big as the cave, for that matter) He's been through this song and dance countless times, probably, it's only once they start properly playing 'catch' that Ego realises Peter actually has what he's looking for.

Gotta admit, while he's a bit divergent from the comics, this version of Ego is definitely fitting for the name and concept.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I dunno if his space fantasy is so much escapism as a coping mechanism for a boy thrust into a huge, weird, dangerous galaxy where alien empires, magical superweapons, and malevolent demi-gods are a fact of life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, 'escapism' implies he's not in touch with reality or perceiving the world inaccurately, when Star-Lord pretty much knows how to look at the world and his main issue is accepting an ensemble cast rather than being a loner. I think he was compared to Ronan, who as a religious fanatic has his own self-centred, myopic view of the world where he's the hero destroying evil, and he is foiled when he is distracted by something that confuses him because it doesn't fit into his worldview (his enemy suddenly breaking into a dance). Star-Lord survives, even thrives, because he knows exactly what kind of universe he's in, but that knowledge also makes him come off as crazy. Like a lesser Deadpool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not sure if the Ravagers are proletariat, unless pirates count as part of that. Piratariat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If I wasn't still kinda hungover I'd be trying to come up with more Marxist pirate jokes. Maybe I need to consult C-SPAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I expected he had some alien power to shoot electricity from his face or something.

• Locked thread