Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

This and "except he didn't say frickin" were cringey for me. Otherwise this movie and the humor were aces.

I liked both of them; they're really dumb but in a funny way. The latter especially is like everybody being "a-holes," it fits in.

It also brings to mind the reaction I had when I saw the original. The police lineup scene where Quill does the wind-up and raises his middle finger was censored in the trailer, and I was actually disappointed that it wasn't covered in the movie as well. Some things are funnier implied than explicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but "implied" only works when you're bleeping out what could conceivably a dozen or so different words and letting your mind fill in the gap. The middle finger is...pretty explicit, it's not really telling you anything your mind didn't know by censoring it.

I don't think I agree with that. I find "a-holes" funnier than "assholes" for example. It's using the crassness for humor, but at the same time making fun of it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Phylodox posted:

Finally saw this, by the way. It had some of the first one's problems (the pacing of the first act felt kind of frantic, just rushing from plot point to plot point), but it fixed some of the problems the first one had (Ronan being a bit of a weak antagonist and the kind of forced connection to the larger Marvel universe), and doubled down on what I liked about the first (really strong emotional and thematic core, great, great visuals, and good humour). My wife said (and I'm trying to figure out if I agree or not) that she found the music a bit more obtrusive this time, less diegetic. All in all, this may topple the first Guardians as my favourite superhero movie.

Also, Ben Browder!!! I can't help but think it's an homage to Farscape, an obviously huge inspiration.

This is how I've sold my wife on trying Farscape, by the way. We're working through other shows yet and haven't started, but she's game to try it on my comparison to this.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cinema Discusso: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Just show the drat murder already

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Fried Watermelon posted:

Did Ego turn into Skeletor? Wasn't he just a larger version of himself? I thought it was only Quill that transformed, and he chose that particular character because he didn't have a handle on his powers or because that's just the thing a devilish rogue would do.

Just watched this again last night and you are correct, Ego just accretes a bunch of rocks into a larger Ego shape, while Quill does the same but with the Pac-Man shape.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Taserface slayed my teenage daughters. But then, they are teenagers.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

porfiria posted:

Your daughters are clearly unfamiliar with the tenets of Marxist literary theory then.

And how!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

thieves and kidnappers are lumpenproles; they produce no value with their labor and marxists as a rule aren't big fans.

Yeah... they don't like the competition :xd:

• Locked thread