Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I liked this a lot, probably better than the first which was mostly about Quill being a manchild who...beat the bad guy by being a manchild, and made some friends because he broke out of prison with them (and Groot kind of talked everyone into it). This was better about having a central theme to tie everyone into (dysfunctional/adopted families). It was flawed tho, Gyges' post from a few pages back is pretty spot on:

Gyges posted:

While I appreciate what they were doing with it, I felt like Rocket and Yandu's arc was a little forced and rushed. A little too much telling everyone what they are feeling and the lesson they are learning right now. Same with the Gamora and Nebula resolution. Just a little too quick and a little too much I will say exactly how I am feeling and what I am processing at this moment.

Not bad, just a little to pat and quick. Which is why despite Kurt Russel and the wax dioramas of learning I think the first one was better.

The moment between Drax and Mantis was fantastic, and may be causing an unfair judgement of the others by reflection.

also, goddamn they needed to stop overly explaining metaphors. Specifically the part explaining that "Brandy" was just like Ego's life, and then later when Drax explained they were family.

Like at the beginning of the movie when they were playing "Brandy" I turned to my wife and semi-sarcastically was like "see, the song is a metaphor because he is like the sailor and space is like the sea :downs:" and she was like "well, duh..." and then an hour later a character explained that poo poo in detail for 5 minutes of screentime! It could have been played for laughs with Quill going "yeah, no I get it you're the sailor, mom is Brandy...no it's a very clever metaphor, thank you..." but it was played totally straight.

Then later when Nebula said "you guys aren't friends, all you do is fight" and it was so obvious they were going for the super cliche "we fight... cause we're family..." which they did but then went on to further hammer the explanation into your skulls for another minute or two

It just seemed like they actually did have a bunch of clever and well done themes but then someone came in and was like "hold up, this is too complex for the average MCU fan, maybe just say exactly what the themes of the movie are in a few places? Really just hold their hands as tightly as possible." Which is a little insulting.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I've been very accurate.

Ehhhhhhhh. You've been fairly accurate in repeating CineD critiques about GotG1 which is 80-85% what you've been talking about in this thread. So far your criticisms of GotG2 have been 1) that it pulls pretty liberally from MoS which you've said is one of the best super hero movies visually anyway (so it makes sense that Gunn would aim for that and fail IMO) and 2) that it's real bad and mediocre you guys.

You've also talked about MoS's influences but haven't mentioned the other super blatant Snyder reference: Doc Manhattan from Watchmen

The diorama thing was pretty insightful though, try talking more about stuff like that rather than rehashing GotG1 arguments. Otherwise I am going to wait until SMg weighs in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well consider the material I have to work with.

I'm sure at the very least there are more Snyder or even other film references and callbacks. Like thinking about it it occurs to me that the final fight is an inversion of the Zod fight because it's Peter who begins levitating and unlocking his true potential, taking on extra mass (in the form of Ego's matter) in contrast to Zod who shed his armor to gain his new power.

There's also gotta be more film references, I'm not great at that usually so the only one I caught was the super obvious North by Northwest shot, but it made me mindful that there was probably more stuff like that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oh I have a theory/question(?) about (post-credit spoiler) Adam Warlock

Okay so all I know about the guy is that he 1) is a hero 2) he is like a guardian of one/multiple of the infinity stones at some point(s)? and 3) he is an enemy of Thanos.

Anyway, what I am saying is is that it would be awesome if he is "born" and because he is made to be perfection personified, he just immediately rejects whatever stupid revenge plan these guys have cooked up for him, and instead he goes to seek knowledge and realizes what he really needs to be doing is protecting the universe from Thanos or whatever

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yakmouth posted:

If I'm remembering the comics correctly, this is exactly what happens -- so...good odds.

I guess I had kind of assumed he had a drastically different origin in the comics. Was he literally created as a weapon by some "superior" race, only to immediately surpass them by being above that kind of poo poo? Because that is an awesome origin story

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ok that is super cool

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Why doesn't he just go to earth and steal a bunch of new music? They got a space ship.

It's the place where his mom died so he can't go back

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean, I didn't know the Cat Stevens song but I got the gist of it by its context within the film and listening to the lyrics. They didn't break down "The Chain" or any of the other dozen or so songs, I don't think Brandy was so vital to the plot that they needed it spelled out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

It was vital. Ego was trying to use the lyrics to explain to Quill why he had to leave and also why Quill himself wasn't really meant for Earth, etc...It was all part of his plan to get Quill on his side.

Explaining the plan was vital, even showing how he loved Earth music. A lesson in basic musical methaphor was totally not necessary and super obnoxious and bad.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

As I've mentioned earlier, he interprets the song incorrectly, which emphasizes how he bends his surroundings to fuel his own desires.

I think it's also neat how he emphasizes the band's name, "Looking Glass", since they were one-hit wonder who's song is remember, but their name is not.

It's not that he gets the song wrong, he gets it exactly right, he just fails to live up to it.

The Sailor in the song isn't a dick, he's upfront with Brandy about how he couldn't be with her ("lord he was an honest man"). The whole reason Brandy is in love with him is because he is this romantic larger than life adventurer:

Yeah, Brandy used to watch his eyes
When he told his sailor stories
She could feel the ocean foam rise
She saw its ragin' glory

It's about the paradox of loving someone for the very reason they can never truly be with you/love you back.

Brandy's "eyes could steal a sailor from the sea" just not THE Sailor. Ego however is seduced by the lure of true love and almost abandons his dumb quest.

It's still clunky as hell though. Like he obviously didn't model his plans off this song, and it doesn't seem like he made his ultimate decision because he was inspired by the song. It seems like he winged an explanation when he saw what Peter was listening to more than anything else.

I think I would prefer it if he either 1) quoted multiple songs from that era to try to relate to Quill, quoting more ridiculous poo poo to try and explain every action he takes ("I'm a lot like this Leroy Brown character"); or 2) he should have basically went whole hog with his obsession with "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" and had like statues of the band in his temple, had the song playing on harps or whatever in his sitting room, etc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's not like there's a "good part" to his plan of breeding children as batteries and then killing them if they don't work out. It's like if a villain builds a fortress to imprison and kill his enemies you don't separate that into the "good part" of employing a bunch of contractors to build the thing and stimulating the economy

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Barreft posted:

*GROOOOOAAAAN*

Gamora and Nebula are two badass female characters. Fucks sake it's like some of you go out of your way to find things to be upset/angered over.

Basically you're a loving pussy.

lol calm down pal.

I liked the movie better than the first but it's gotten to a point where the basic pattern of this thread is: a criticism is posted, a bunch of the usual suspects defend the movie against any degree of criticism, someone* gets super salty and says "christ you people are dumb/autistic/looking for things to hate".

*this has been you a few times, it's not a great look

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He basically saw her as a distraction who was threatening to derail his plans if he couldn't keep away. Which is not a great reason because he could have just waited until she died of natural causes and his "special" son was firmly on his side to execute his plans. Like staying on earth seems like the best course of action: you raise your son yourself and indoctrinate him without doing a bunch of poo poo that will explicitly make him your enemy.

He seemed remarkably impatient for an immortal being. Chalk it up to being a weird planet brain and not thinking like us I guess.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah you're supposed to think it's "guts/balls" the first time he says it but when he repeats it this is also around the time we find out that Yondu was a pretty dece dad and he clearly says "heart" which is the secret third option and drives home the whole "I fight for my family" theme

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

BravestOfTheLamps was a half-assed SuperMechagodzilla knock-off. GoldfishStew is a half-assed BravestOfTheLamps knock-off. Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset. Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon.

Is it necessary to kick people when they're down? Like at least wait till the posters you're bashing here can get off probation to defend themselves (or like better yet don't post about posters man I dunno)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Dave posted:

It's right around when Yondu shows his dick.

lol

It doesn't bother me but it is weird that "I only have one space suit, even tho they are like the size of a tin of mints and we are space travelers, we really should buy them in bulk in the future"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The way this convo is going someone's going to post this eventually so I might as well rip off the band-aid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The point that is particularly interesting to me is the point about syncing action with music cues, that would work perfectly in Guardians. Admittedly I am not great at picking up on this stuff but my wife wants to see this again with her sister next week or the following so I am planning on paying more attention to how the visual comedy works. I remember the "Come a little bit closer" scene arguable using that method in a good way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mulva posted:

The final "Things other directors should do like him" reel has a number of things that are done in basically all his movies. So yeah, quite a few of his shots are him referencing other movies. It's just that some of the times those movies are his own. Which isn't to take away from those films, but as I said. It's easier to make a striking shot or comedic moment when you are just copying another one that was done before, sometimes by you yourself. By definition referencing your own work again and again isn't inventive. I love his trilogy [Never saw Scott Pilgrim, not really my bag], and there are some striking scenes, but there are far less original striking scenes in comparison to I don't know, lets say "reference" shots.

I dunno I feel like this whole sentiment is kinda weird because on the one hand I agree he is a student of film and has certainly pulled from other sources while inventing his own techniques that he reuses. But then that makes it sound super easy so why doesn't Gunn do that? I'm not even saying he necessarily isn't, like I said I am bad at picking that stuff up especially on first view. But it seems like your argument is that Gunn is repeatedly doing shots that can't (or for some reason he won't) borrow from other films -- or create a language of visual humor that he can recycle in subsequent Guardian films like Wright did.

EDIT: Oh and he does already visually reference a few films, notably North by Northwest, Mary Poppins, and Zack Snyder's Watchmen

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 19, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh man if he did intentionally reference Willy Wonka its almost a shame he didn't later call back to the infamously creepy boat ride scene to boost the whole "something is not right and creepy here" vibes that Gamora was getting

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

I like that we're pretending that "I liked it", "Best Marvel Movie", "Better than the first one", and "7/10" are now the rave reviews of sycophants in the throws of worshiping their perfect film.

It's less reacting to people who say they like it (me included) than reacting to the handful of people who debate every. single. criticism. of the film as if this Marvel film were a jenga tower on the verge of collapsing if we admitted that like, the visuals or dialogue could have been better

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol "your opinion on the movie has been thoroughly debunked, you are now obsolete"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also I mean, Hundu asked "what's happening in that scene" and that shot in particular shows a character who feels isolated and insignificant...small and alone in the lower left corner of the frame. It's like the worst of that series of shots to nitpick because it honestly does tell a pretty succinct story visually (not that it couldn't be done better)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The scene reveals that Gamora isn't isolated, she's actually appreciating the nature as shown by the close-up of the plant

She's not looking at the plant and the whole framing of that shot:

is basically a thought bubble, it's hinting at what she is actually thinking of. So a pair of matched plants implies she is thinking of a partner/friend/lover that she is now separated from, connecting from the previous shot.

You're not wrong on a lot of this stuff but "she's not lonely she's just appreciating the plants and stuff" is really inaccurate.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

So how does her getting irritated by the sound of the two pods rubbing together then cutting them down play into that? Honest question, no snark intended.

It's been awhile since I saw it in theaters but if my theory of what is on her mind is correct: I would say it means she is annoyed with herself for being bothered by her separation from Quill, so she lashes out.

Like:

I love how lame the cyborg femme fatale assassin has become through the movies.

is basically how she feels about herself at that moment.

Alternatively I guess the plants could also represent Quill and his father, so she is annoyed by them being together. Still illustrative of what's on her mind, I think.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I really don't like how Man of Steel looks at all. BvS was much, much better.

*throws down gauntlet*

Where the f do you get off with this sh...

no actually that's totally true. I mean I like MoS but BvS has some gorgeous visuals

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

But how do they compare to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

hmmm not sure I will have to find the scene in HGttG where the messiah figure sacrifices his life to destroy a dark version of himself so that I can properly compare

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Why does it bother you so much what I think?

Sorry maybe my tone was off, I was agreeing with you and just teasing with the first part, no insult intended

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Quill is forming superficial relationships and pushing Yondu away (he describes him as "family" at the end of 1) because he is running from the death of his mother. They even spell this out in 2 paralleling it to Ego's rambling ways. It's not unfulfilling in and of itself, it's just an escape. He is not sad, lonely and most of all not embittered though, that is just an exaggeration.

Now, the reason he bonds with the team is basically because they show up, which is admittedly a weaker aspect of the first movie. I like the character arcs in 2 a lot more.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, your best friends are usually made because you showed up somewhere, or they were just around.

Yea that's fair, plus they go through a shared experience together. Point conceded.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Loudly talking about the users you've ignored instead of just ignoring them and moving on with your lives is a bad look IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Friendly reminder that Ego killed his beloved mother by giving her inoperable cancer, but yeah, it's about "my Walkman."

Your posting transcends being willfully dense, to the point where it reads like diagnostic criteria from the DSM at this point lol.

I think that quote about the walkman was a joke my friend

• Locked thread