Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bbf2 posted:

Wasn't Nathan Fillion supposed to be in this movie playing Simon Williams? What happened to that?

His scene was cut. I think Gunn said so a few weeks ago, or maybe Fillion posted it on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Please stop engaging BotL. He pretty clearly decided he didn't like this movie before he saw it and is trying to justify that conclusion by spouting off criticisms that have already been shown to be completely incorrect readings.

He's just keeping this up because people are giving him attention.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's also about all he can create since he said when he tried before and thought really hard, all he could make was a ball.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Come A Little Bit Closer fits that scene much better. Also, it's a great song.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

As a celstrial being couldn't he have just straight up murdered her...quickly? Implanting a brain tumor so she could have a slow painful death is a super dick move, especially when a sudden brain hemorrhage would have worked just the same. No wonder Peter immediately went into kill mode.

Since Ego never met Peter before, I assume he gave her the tumor after she was pregnant, then left the planet. So the tumor would be a time delayed kill to allow her to give birth to Peter and raise him to a certain age, at which point Yondu would abduct and deliver him.

And he did love her, in some twisted way. But was also a coward, like was said. He saw her and his love as an obstacle to his goal, and instead of embracing her and love and giving up his goal, he decided to remove her completely from that equation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

VagueRant posted:

(EDIT: I have no idea what the spoiler rules are right now?)

Again, my issue is not related to them wondering if there's secret Evil Afoot, it's the fact their entire trip to the planet seemed to be to just...hang out and wait for Kurt Russel to talk to them about things.

It's oddly passive. You'd think Peter Quill would be curious, asking Ego what he does with his time, instead of sitting in his room listening to his jams until the guy decides it's time to explain it.

They showed Mantis helping Ego sleep when they got into the ship. So it's easy to assume that the moments they share alone are because Ego is sleeping.

They don't have to show every single interaction. And it's understandable that Peter would need time to process the information he's given, rather than immediately question Ego about everything. We don't see the conversations about what Ego eats or how he breathes, because it's not important.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Early in the movie after the crew crash lands and Gamora is chewing out Rocket and Quill she says if you had just used the head between their ears setting up this joke. Quill tells Yondu well I thought as hard as I could and to create the ball of light, Yondu jokes that that I wasn't controlling the needle with my brain, and gets cut off. It's a penis.

No. It's his heart.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He says heart, Peter thinks about all the good times he's spent with the team and Yondu raising him and all the emotional bonds he's formed, then powers up to fight off Ego.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Their relationship isn't real. It's a movie relationship. It's the movie's choice to make Ego a completely remorseless cosmic psychopath with that heel turn. He doesn't have to yell "you're a battery now" or "I gave your mother cancer" - those are, in fact, choices the screenwriter made that retroactively turn all of the father-son bonding into worthless grift.

In the end, there's nothing to connect with. Ego becomes a virus to be eradicated. His sociopathic relationship comments on nothing. It illuminates nothing. It's got no emotional truth. Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but I found it a huge waste of time.

Ego doesn't love Peter. Ego loves the part of himself that's inside Peter. He loves the reflection of himself he sees in Peter. This causes him to think that Peter is like him in that he believes the same things, that all other life in the universe needs to go and be replaced by himself. He doesn't see this as evil, just as he didn't see killing his other offspring as evil, or putting the tumor in Meredith as evil. His offspring didn't have the part of Ego in them that he wanted, so they were disappointments. Meredith was a temptation to Ego that he saw could threaten himself and his goals, so he removed that temptation.

Remember, he thinks that Peter agrees with him on everything, and he does up to a point. Ego never even considers that Peter will see things differently, because Ego can only look at the universe through his own eyes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My favorite part of the opening is Groot waving to Gamora, and she takes just enough time to smile and say "Hi!" back before attacking the monster.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Baronash posted:

They set up the funeral pretty early in the movie. Stallone outright states the technicolor viking funeral is part of their Ravager tradition. All the ships that show up are the hundred or so other Ravager clans coming to pay their respects now that Yondu earned his way back into their good graces.

Also he died in helping to save the universe, which is worth a big send-off regardless of how much he was personally liked or disliked.

The Ravagers came to give him a Ravager funeral because Rocket got a hold of them and told them what Yondu did. It wasn't just because Yondu died, but what he did right before he died.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

Sorry if this was covered and I missed it, but what made Peter special? All of Ego's kids couldn't hack it and died, but Peter was the exception. Something special about Earth?

Either that Ego really loved Meredith, or just chance. Or the possibility that celestials have visited Earth before and so humans were more compatible with Ego.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Adam from the DNA run was more just a Space Wizard who was kinda zen. I'd expect that they'd do something with Magus in the third one, maybe something like Ayesha messed up and created two different beings. Adam and the Magus.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rocket isn't from Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Avalerion posted:

Movie one might be, or has his comic origin been confirmed?

Nothing has been said either way, but until they explicitly say he's from Earth, I would think that it's better to assume his comic origin and have him from Halfworld.

• Locked thread