Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mean, as soon as the focus turns to Yondu, the movie reveals itself and you can see the plot beats coming a mile away.

Michael Rooker was great in this though, he stole the show and you can tell they knew it too, they basically put him in the Costner role from Man of Steel in order to get the focus back onto the rest of the guardians in that last act.

Also, I love the reveal that whatever planet Ego would go to, he'd still look like Kurt Russell with feathered 70s hair when he was piping down all them alien girls.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Marvel's face magic turning old celebrities keeps doing good. first Michael Douglas, now Kurt Russell

When they showed him in the car at the beginning I honestly thought they resurrected Robert Dzar for a second. The jawline looked pretty big.

And that line's not really a spoiler? Like I said, the movie telegraphs everything as soon as the focus pulls in on Yondu and once you realize the whole movie's going to be about fathers and surrogate fathers, you know where the swerve is going. The movie held no surprises, except for maybe seeing Yondu loving space hookers and Stan Lee clouted up with the Watchers.

The same people who gasped at the brain tumor reveal probably also gasped at the "father" reveal in Prometheus.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 5, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I find it hilarious how quick some of you are to start arm-chair psycho analyzing lamp's childhood while ignoring weirdo goons who are straight up projecting their father issues onto the movie and blubbering like babies at "all the feels" instead of taking a step back and asking themselves why they're imprinting onto characters in a big budget tent pole comic book movie. The cult of personality that people adopt when hyping themselves over these movies is getting really parasitic.

Don't forget Gunn has that Troma background. It's not a coincidence that sex is the big fat elephant dick in the room movie and that the only people who die in this are third world somali pirates the Ravagers.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 9, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Discussing and deconstructing themes of fatherhood is fine and dare I say good, blubbering like a baby at "Quill has a dad just like me! He played catch! Like a dad! Which made me cry!" is empty cheerleading for an idea put forth with no critical thought behind it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of, I like that the film confirmed Baby Groot really is an amoral elder god type space monster by straight up making a 1:1 visual comparison to the tentacled space monster in the beginning of the film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

I only feel locally sourced, free range emotions, none of those corporate feel$ for me!

Coporate feels is the perfect descriptor for all the manufactured interpersonal beats in this movie. Yondu's fate is pretty calculated from a franchise perspective, especially when you take into consideration that 1) characters cheat death in comics all the time, and 2) the spirit of Yondu's character is reborn in this very movie in his first mate, similar to Groot's "death" in the first one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

All emotional beats in movies are manufactured and calculated.

Tarantino wrote the Hateful 8 without any idea of who poisoned the coffee pot and let the movie's plot unfold organically as he wrote it.

So no, not all movies, unless you're just being pedantic about the definition of "manufactured," maybe I should've said "manufactured by committee".

Also, most movies aren't so transparent as to dial back that emotional beat before the credits are even finished rolling.

And you're deluding yourself if you don't think every minuscule detail in this franchise movie wasn't rubber stamped to hell and back by marvel suits all the way til release date.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also keep in mind I actually loved Yondu (well, I love Michael Rooker's portrayal), and it was sad that he died, but only in the sense that ALL DADS DIE. That's life. It was a foregone conclusion in the eyes of the movie that he had to die, but in keeping with the Mighty Marvel tradition, he had to be reborn as well, both in look (the ravager now wearing Yondu's mohawk), and role (Peter becoming Groot's surrogate parental figure in the credits), and he'll no doubt be reborn a third time by the obligatory Rooker cameo in the next one, the movie's not subtle about any of this.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 10, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dismissing a topic of discussion by attacking the mental health of the poster, then feigning concern while not really giving a drat is some bougie rear end ivory tower poo poo. The cult of personality that you guys have assumed in defense of your fiction is pretty gross y'all.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Electromax posted:

Feels like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth here...

I am most definitely not. Discussing themes of fatherhood in a movie is not the same as working out whatever daddy issues you have at home. I appreciate so many goons love their dads, but to shut down valid comparisons of other movies dealing with fatherhood (Man of Steel) or plugging your ears at themes you're not comfortable discussing in children's superhero movies (your parents are loving when you're not around) is not constructive in the least.

I'm also not attacking anyone's personal resolve, except for again, the cult of personality that everyone adopts because they want to be a part of this cultural zeitgeist, as if constructive criticism is somehow an attack against this idealogy instead of a valid complaint about the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

His laughter felt as natural as the audience when they laughed at all the call backs and jokes the previews (and the movie itself) beat to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQpYDDOmoSM

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 11, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

That's the one I haven't seen.

Scream Factory just released a fantastic version of it on Blu Ray if you're looking to check it out. It's gross as hell in the best possible way, and has a lot of James Gunn regulars like Rooker, Gregg Henry, and a cameo by Lloyd Kaufman.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/slither-collector-s-edition

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Have you seen Defendor?

Is that the one with Michael Rappaport?

e: just checked, it was with Woody Harrelson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXl64kQAvv8

looking through Rappaport's IMDB, it doesn't look like he did any indie superhero movies either, I probably had a moment of face blindness when I saw the poster for this.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 12, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I think you're thinking of Special which is sort of a superhero movie in a small way.

Ah, you're right. drat, there was a nice little wave of earnestly flawed vigilante movies coming out around that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo18EMnTY6o

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

guys when he said heart he literally meant he controls the space arrow with a muscle in his chest cavity (even though the device needed goes on the big head). When has the human heart ever been used as some kind of symbol for fertility and/or loving?

:h::yosbutt::h:

It's not like James Gunn has a history of working on risqué or ribald humor or anything.

Definitely :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oADusLN5P0

Bonus points for including a character who has father issues!

Franchescanado posted:

So what stopped you from watching the last forty minutes of the movie? Because he repeats the statement a second time and ends the sentence very clearly saying it's his heart.

Is that when Yondu's getting buried? Because he definitely gets cut off again before saying it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

my h-

my hard dick

Wouldn't be the first time Gunn went with the first letter fake out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-pt715HlVU&t=14s

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

It makes it clear that these are lovely people, but dude grew back from a twig, he's going to be fine.

It still trips me out when people are like "they were protecting Groot in the beginning, it was cute" because I'm like yo, dude's immortal. If anything, they're curbing his base natural animalistic state (which was mirrored in the giant monster that they were fighting in the beginning, as he's emulating the creature, not the people it's fighting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Love can be (and most often is) a selfish emotion.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 20, 2017

• Locked thread