Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Filthy Casual posted:

Still amazed by that cast. Orson Welles, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Robert Stack, plus the regular legends Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Scatman Crothers and Chris Latta.

This entire Transformers derail, I thought you guys were just dogpiling increasingly ridiculous bullshit (especially when I got to 'Weird Al soundtrack') but, wow.

Orson Welles. Scatman Crothers. Transformers 1986. Weird Al on the soundtrack. This is real. (In my defense, I was a pitiful 4 months old at the time of its release)

On topic:
This is more of just a general comment, and I'm not sure if it has to do more with an issue with my hearing, sound balance in theaters or a little bit on both ends, but when there's dialogue and shooting/exploding/fighting/'stings' happening at the same time in action/horror/whatever movies, the noise tends to drown over the dialogue, so I'm sure I missed some lines. Like, for example, In some of the Ravager scenes I didn't have much of a clue what the dialogue was, like when they had Groot in a little Ravager suit and they were spilling drinks on him, I just kind of assumed they were chanting 'mascot'?

I thought the plots were a liiiiiiiiittle stretched out this movie, and that at least one or two of them could have been trimmed up/shortened/combined. For example, the Soverign fleet returning during the first phase of the final battle just felt really kind of pointless (I know Taserface contacted them before the ship blew, but still), the Gamora/Nebula strained relationship dynamic went on a little long, and I especially felt the Peter/Gamora 'we have unspoken tension' portions were completely needless this time around. We already had it in the first movie. While I did like the scene of Yondu and Rocket tearing up the place, I feel like they could have easily still had that maybe not wiped out all of the Ravagers, and had Taserface and any remaining chase after Yondu to fill the 'annoying cannon fodder' baddies in the Ego battle rather than 'oh, hey its the Soverign drones again, whatever'.

I liked Yondu and Kraglin in this one over just about everyone else, really, though when Sly Stallone chewed him out at the beginning, it really smacked of 'hello, this is foreshadowing', but I can forgive it; kind of hoping Kraglin hangs around for part three, likely not as a full team member, but as least as a contact or something.

Overall while there were a few bungles here and there, I still had a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I do have one really stupid question. At what point did in the Ego fight did Quill's 'Star-Lord' face mask (IDK what else to call it) get broken?

At the very critical and emotional scene, I called bullshit because 'he's got his mask that can breathe in space!'
'It broke, remember?'
'...no?'

I think I'm just bad at watching movies y'all.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, but I just honestly do not recall it happening. I may just have a limit on things exploding, or I may just be a dummy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wasn't he made by a bunch of space Eugenicists to be the ultimate space Ubermensch but when he hatched, he basically went 'nah man, I don't want to be space Hitler' and just flew off to find meaning in the universe and was kind of some philosophical space dalai lama?

Then he got the soul gem and things got real weird, because his arch-enemy turned out to be a future version of himself that went mad because of the soul gem and of my god what the Hell 70s Marvel space comics. I'm guessing his plot importance will boil down to 'Hi guys, I have one of these gems you all want so much'.

Speaking of space characters, I kind of want Marvel to double down and make a movie based on the mid-2000s Annihilation storyline. You think Marvel movie viewers are confused about space characters now, oh boy, just wait. So the Guardians, Nebula, Ronan and Korath (both back from the dead somehow), Thanos, Nova, Galactus, Silver Surfer everybody's got the basics on those guys at least so far. But it crammed pretty much every goddamn space guy possible into the cross-over. Super Skrull. Moondragon. Lady Captain Marvel (not Carol Danvers). Quasar. Stellaris. Glorian. Galactus gets six of his former heralds on the horn to jump in the action too.

Quite frankly it's too many goddamn space guys. That's why it needs to happen. Every movie ticket will hopefully come with a thirty-page character pamphlet, or youtube would be flooded with day one reaction videos 'WHO THE gently caress IS AIR-WALKER?!'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 25, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

achillesforever6 posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the things in the Annihilation storyline is owned by Fox

A girl can dream about an extremely bloated space war full of too many niche characters to count though... :unsmith:

(I know I'll never see the Super Skrull in a movie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I always just figured Rocket was/descended from a regular-rear end earth raccoon that was just knocking over a garbage can when some aliens passed by, saw it and decided 'hey, let's grab this thing, experiment on it/modify its genetics and smarts'

I mean, isn't that kinda why Germany has such a 'waschbaren' problem? Some Baron or Kaiser saw it, decided 'let's import these weird things to hunt them' and whoops, they have no Predators there

• Locked thread